News:

ever clean urine and wet dreams out of a t-rex's mouth

Main Menu

baby stuff

Started by Listener, June 19, 2006, 08:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Last night, we spent about an hour and change putting together some baby stuff.  It was... an adventure.  I guess since kids are getting more and more technologically-inclined, they have to make baby stuff harder than ever to figure out.  It would've been easier had the instructions been a little more explicit.  However, we now have a combination stroller/carseat/carrier and a combination bassinet/changing table/storage bin, and it only took three trips to the basement to get more tools.

sapphirehart

Beefy

I'd think that baby prep would be fun.

cnamon

I like shopping for babies...I just would supervise the whole putting it together and placing it where I want it.

Bennyhana

Quote from: cnamon on June 19, 2006, 09:54:59 AM
I like shopping for babies...I just would supervise the whole putting it together and placing it where I want it.

I like putting things together...I just would supervise the whole "Changing of diapers and raising the kids" thing.

ReBurn

Just wait until you buy that first swingset.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

sapphirehart

Quote from: ReBurn on June 19, 2006, 10:20:20 AM

OMG, years ago I worked for a manufacturing company that made swing sets.  My job was to write the instructions for the manual to assemble each set.  Let me tell you.  It wasn't fun!

cnamon

Quote from: sapphirehart on June 19, 2006, 10:24:14 AM

OMG, years ago I worked for a manufacturing company that made swing sets.  My job was to write the instructions for the manual to assemble each set.  Let me tell you.  It wasn't fun!
It wasn't IKEA was it?

Those instructions earn the people who made them one hard punch to the ovaries and/or testicles.

ReBurn

Quote from: cnamon on June 19, 2006, 10:30:44 AM
Quote from: sapphirehart on June 19, 2006, 10:24:14 AM

It wasn't IKEA was it?

Those instructions earn the people who made them one hard punch to the ovaries and testicles.
hermaphrodites write instructions for Ikea?

Infobahn

I was the only one that knew how to operate the Diaper Genie.

I was the only one that could operate the Pack 'n Play.

I still am the only one that knows how to install the cars seats.

For that, she handles all of the poopy diapers.

ReBurn

Quote from: Infobahn on June 19, 2006, 10:41:38 AM
I was the only one that knew how to operate the Diaper Genie.

I was the only one that could operate the Pack 'n Play.

I still am the only one that knows how to install the cars seats.

For that, she handles all of the poopy diapers.
Fair trade, IMO.

Listener

Quote from: sapphirehart on June 19, 2006, 08:34:19 AM
pics?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001NEAV6/qid=1150734096/sr=1-32/ref=sr_1_32/103-9467988-0907836?v=glance&s=baby - this is pretty close to the stroller we got

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007PHNJE/qid=1150734172/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-9467988-0907836?v=glance&s=baby - this is pretty close to the bassinet

Quote from: Potsie on June 19, 2006, 08:52:06 AM

It kind of is, kind of isn't.  It's a lot of work, a lot of monetary outlay (my wife doesn't believe in hand-me-downs, except for clothing), and a lot of carrying stuff up from the car.  But I'm sure it'll be worth it when she's actually using the stuff.

cnamon

A lot of people I know will not use hand me down baby stuff...I guess since it is her first, she wants everything to be fresh and new.

Listener

Quote from: cnamon on June 19, 2006, 11:27:26 AM
A lot of people I know will not use hand me down baby stuff...I guess since it is her first, she wants everything to be fresh and new.

It doesn't bother me terribly, except that I have to build it all.  Then figure out a place to put it once she outgrows it but before the next one shows up (there'll probably be a next one, anyway).

ReBurn

The putting together of the stuff never stops.  As they get older toys become insanely difficult to remove from the packaging, and then insanely difficult to put together.

dazie

Quote from: ReBurn on June 19, 2006, 12:50:38 PM
The putting together of the stuff never stops.  As they get older toys become insanely difficult to remove from the packaging, and then insanely difficult to put together.

No doubt.  Who knew you had to use rebar to keep Barbie attached to the cardboard packaging??
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

Quote from: dazie on June 19, 2006, 01:02:11 PM

No doubt.  Who knew you had to use rebar to keep Barbie attached to the cardboard packaging??
My son got some Hot Wheels thing for his birthday and there were 14 twist-ties securing it to the cardboard backing.  They even fed the ties through little holes in the body molding of the toy, which become nearly impossible to remove if there is a kink in the wire.  Crazy.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ReBurn on June 19, 2006, 01:04:21 PM

My son got some Hot Wheels thing for his birthday and there were 14 twist-ties securing it to the cardboard backing.  They even fed the ties through little holes in the body molding of the toy, which become nearly impossible to remove if there is a kink in the wire.  Crazy.
whats why you bring a pair of wire cutters to birthdays and christmas
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

dazie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on June 19, 2006, 01:08:27 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on June 19, 2006, 01:04:21 PM

whats why you bring a pair of wire cutters to birthdays and christmas

amen.

Bishamonten

don't you think she's been through enough unpleasantness?

dazie

Quote from: Bishamonten on June 19, 2006, 01:29:08 PM

don't you think she's been through enough unpleasantness?

yeah- but that only lasted for what?  38 seconds?

Bennyhana

Anyone who won't take Hand-me-down baby stuff is insane.  The shit is expensive and it's only used for a couple of months.

dazie

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 20, 2006, 07:42:12 AM

Anyone who won't take Hand-me-down baby stuff is insane.  The shit is expensive and it's only used for a couple of months.

2nd.

It's nice to have new things, but dang. 

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on June 20, 2006, 08:10:06 AM
Quote from: Bennyhana on June 20, 2006, 07:42:12 AM

2nd.

It's nice to have new things, but dang. 

if they are in good condition, not faded from repeat washings, stained and not a fugly color or pattern, its all good.     Ben has been using his cousins hand me downs for several years and doest notice and doesnt care ( he wills state his cuz had a shirt like it ) but its more of parental ego than anything with hand me downs.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

dazie

Hey Marxist!

I actually know where your quote came from!!!