News:

ever clean urine and wet dreams out of a t-rex's mouth

Main Menu

Cars

Started by Infobahn, June 10, 2006, 10:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dots

You're an asshole and I hate you.

swolt

I used to think Nascar was stupid, but then someone explained to me how the scoring works and how it really is more than just "left turn". I don't really like it or watch it, but now I understand the appeal. It's the same with me and Golf, until someone who liked it explained it to me I just didn't get it.

I've never seen Cars because I just didn't get around to it.

Up was funny.

Wall-E came out and when Sara and I were dating and she is like Eva and I'm like Wall-E so we really enjoyed it.

When someone like Family Guy makes fun of the South, I usually feel like it's mean spirited and they really believe we are all stupid hicks. Larry the Cable Guy embraces those stereotypes and makes them so ridiculous and over the top that I feel like he gets it and is poking fun more at the people that view the South in a bad way than the South itself. I'm not a huge fan but I like him.

And just to clarify, Texas is not part of the "South". It's Texas.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Jessie

Larry the Cable Guy isn't a southern guy.  He is selling a mockery of the south to the very people that he is mocking.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on July 26, 2010, 03:10:26 PM
Larry the Cable Guy isn't a southern guy.  He is selling a mockery of the south to the very people that he is mocking.

Anyone who willfully riles up his audiences by talking about killing "towelheads" can go jump off a bridge.

Jessie

Also that.  He's also a homophobe.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

CreepyMonkey

I am not a fan of NASCAR or any auto racing of any kind, but I still moderately enjoyed Cars. I will go on record as being a definite fan of Disney in general, and also of Pixar Disney films. I consider Cars to be one of Pixar's weakest films.

It was not as much of a box office success as other films they've done, (considering it grossed $244,082,982 domestically and  $217,900,167 in foreign markets compared to Toy Story 3 which has already grossed $389,761,491 domestically and $436,400,000 foreign) but still made enough money that they are doing a Cars 2 movie and building a complete 'land' themed on the movie for Disney's California Adventure theme park in Anaheim.

Frankly, I'm puzzled as to why they would choose Cars to franchise as a film instead of something that is ready built for franchising, like The Incredibles, which cost less to make, was more enjoyable (in my opinion) and made $261,441,092 domestically.

But as to the entertainment value, I'd have to say Cars was moderately entertaining. I enjoyed it more than I did Ratatouille, which was IMO definitely the weakest offering ever to come from Pixar.
What the hell is this space used for?

Gamplayerx

Ratatouille was Pixar?  I haven't seen it, but I thought it was regular animation.

Beefy

Ratatouille was awesome.  Great movie.

CreepyMonkey

Quote from: Beefy on August 05, 2010, 10:02:38 PM
Ratatouille was awesome.  Great movie.

Gamp, yep...Ratatouille was Pixar. you can see all the information for it at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382932/.

See, and that's the thing Beefy...in comparison to other animated offerings I really enjoyed Ratatouille as well. When I say it was the weakest, that is relevant only to Pixar offerings. In reality, even though it was one of the weakest films in Pixars collection, it is still a strong film compared to other animated fare.

Apparently audiences resonated with it as well because it grossed $206,445,654 domestically and $417,277,164 in foreign receipts. If you compare that to Pixars closest competitor, Dreamworks Animation (publishers of Shrek, etc.) then you see a picture emerging about Pixars domination of the animation market. Dreamworks most successful animated film was Shrek 2 and it grossed  $441,226,247 domestically and $478,612,511 in foreign box office.

So, even though Ratatouille is Pixars lowest grossing film and the 'weakest' in their pantheon of great films, it still performs relatively well against the competitions best film. Yes, it grossed less than half of Shrek 2's domestic total, but it holds its weight against the foreign totals fairly well, yet this was Pixars weakest film.

So overall, if you go by success, Pixar puts out the most entertainment for your buck when it comes to animated fare. So far they have yet to put out a dog, and now that they are branching out into live action films, I for one am pretty excited to see what they come up with.

First on the docket: John Carter of Mars. It will be a mix of live action and CGI, Pixar style. We'll see how they do.
What the hell is this space used for?