News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

"event"

Started by Listener, April 28, 2006, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Why have they started calling big-ass episodes "events"?

"A GHOST WHISPERER season finale EVENT!"

They've run that phrase into the ground too.  Pretty soon, they'll replace it with another word, like flugelhorn.

"Tonight, on a two-part Las Vegas flugelhorn..."

swolt

I used to refer to "gettin' busy" as an "event". I would have commentators in my head going "Henderson is gearing up for the event, and there he goes! Wow he finished in record time! Annnnnd he sticks the dismount!"

/stolen from Dave Chappelle
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Look at advertising and marketing as kind of a slope. A slipper slope you might say. For right now, think back to that Bill Murray movie where he played a TV executive. The ads they were making were good enough, he wanted everyone to be afraid to miss his event. They had to know with certainty that it was the most awesome thing ever.

So he makes and over-the-top claim and it brings in big numbers.

NOW the next time a marketer needs to underscore how awesome the show or whatever they have is, they use the same tactics to get people's attention. It works. A bit.

Others use it and over time people's reactions to it cool off. As a way of catching other people's attention it becomes trite.

What do the marketers do?

THEY MAKE IT SOUND EVEN MORE FUCKING AWESOME THAN IT WAS BEFORE!

Because you can't go back. You have to ratchet it up past the point where the consumer can ignore it.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on April 28, 2006, 03:51:35 PM
I used to refer to "gettin' busy" as an "event". I would have commentators in my head going "Henderson is gearing up for the event, and there he goes! Wow he finished in record time! Annnnnd he sticks the dismount!"

/stolen from Dave Chappelle

:noway:
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?