Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Started by Listener, April 27, 2006, 03:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

It was good.  I liked it.

Spoilers in small text.

The battle design and choreography was phenomenal.  There was no bullet-time, but slow- and fast-motion were both used very, very well.  I enjoyed every single battle sequence.  Music was by Nobuo Uematsu, who's done all the recent FF games, and included music from FFVII (including "One Winged Angel").  The battle sequence against Bahamut, when the rest of the FF7 crowd shows up, was great, although it was sometimes hard to discern who was talking when Cait Sith and Nanaki/Red XIII were attacking.   Also, the final part of the battle, where everyone is helping Cloud fly higher to catch up with Bahamut, and at the end Aeris helps him for that last bit, is excellent.

And there is one major laugh-out-loud point in this movie:  after Tifa fights one of the bad guys... well, let's just say it hearkens back to what happens in the game.  I about lost it.

The negatives:

1.  A little hard to keep track of two of the three bad guys, because they look quite similar.
2.  Some of the music trails off at odd times.
3.  From the start of the battle with Bahamut to about the almost-ending, the action is nonstop.  There's no time to catch your breath.  That's not a bad thing, but it is a little tiring.

The voice casting is pretty good, a nice mix of veteran anime performers (like Beau Billingslea, best known as Jet in Cowboy Bebop) and current stars (Rachael Leigh Cook and Christy Carlson Romano are two).  Unfortunately, in English/American/Western, the "hmph" along with a head bob is not understood the same way it is in Japanese/Eastern, and it's used a lot.  But otherwise, good job on the matching and decent job on the syncing.

Definitely worth waiting for.