News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

Herb Garden

Started by Miss Molly, April 26, 2006, 12:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

Inspired by Dazie's salsa garden thread, does anyone have any tips on starting a small herb garden?  I'd like to grow them indoors preferably; there is a nice windowsill in my soon to be new kitchen that gets plenty of light that I think would be a nice place for this.

I know Chia makes an herb kit; you get 4 small terra cotta pots and 6 packets of seeds for about $20.  Is this a good deal, or would going to  Home Despot or Lowe's and buying everything there be better?

Suggestions?

swolt

A clever man commits no minor blunders.

DownSouth

I'm going to start one this weekend.  I'd go to Lowe's or Home Depot so you can get exactly what you want.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bishamonten

If you can do it outside, do it outside. 

dazie

If there's a farmer's market or greenhouse near you, see if you can get seedlings.  Much more satisfying to look at than a box full of dirt.  Last year I planted basil, oregano and chives in one of those hospital washbasin things they "give" you while you're in there.  It worked well, and it was easy to move around.  I think $20 is a bit steep for a few little pots and some dirt, but that's just because I'm a cheapskate.

Since it's going to be in your kitchen window, look around at thrift stores for nice big latte or coffee mugs.  Either drill a hole in the bottom or make sure there's lots of gravel in them and use them instead of plain pots.  Ditto with Mason jars or the like.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

nishi

plus, some herbs - like oregano - are really hard to grow from seed. seedlings will run you about the same, even if you buy extra pots and potting soil.

but, herbs are hot-weather, sun-loving things. unless you get direct sunlight for most hours of the day through that window, you will probably end up with kind of scraggely plants. bish is right - you're going to have about 200% more success if you put them outside.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Miss Molly

I could keep them outside; I have a wraparound balcony!!  Keep in mind that I live in a subtropical climate.  So while they will get more than enough sunshine, they will also be subjected to the triple-digit heat that Southern Louisiana gets. 

nishi

Quote from: Miss Molly on April 26, 2006, 04:10:38 PM
I could keep them outside; I have a wraparound balcony!!  Keep in mind that I live in a subtropical climate.  So while they will get more than enough sunshine, they will also be subjected to the triple-digit heat that Southern Louisiana gets. 

as long as you keep them watered, they'll be fine. most of the herbs you'd be growing grow happily well down into south america.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on April 26, 2006, 01:58:45 PM
If there's a farmer's market or greenhouse near you, see if you can get seedlings.  Much more satisfying to look at than a box full of dirt.  Last year I planted basil, oregano and chives in one of those hospital washbasin things they "give" you while you're in there.  It worked well, and it was easy to move around.  I think $20 is a bit steep for a few little pots and some dirt, but that's just because I'm a cheapskate.

Since it's going to be in your kitchen window, look around at thrift stores for nice big latte or coffee mugs.  Either drill a hole in the bottom or make sure there's lots of gravel in them and use them instead of plain pots.  Ditto with Mason jars or the like.

did you leave the nutritionally valued substance in it to aid in plant growth?   OHH wait, i was thinking bedpan. NM
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

DownSouth

Quote from: Miss Molly on April 26, 2006, 04:10:38 PM

They'll be fine outside.  My stepmom has grown them for years.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

dazie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on April 27, 2006, 07:49:31 AM
Quote from: dazie on April 26, 2006, 01:58:45 PM

did you leave the nutritionally valued substance in it to aid in plant growth?   OHH wait, i was thinking bedpan. NM

:hit:

Mr. Ubiquity

"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

dazie

I don't want to think of human waste in my dang basil!!

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on April 27, 2006, 08:43:32 AM

well it isnt my fault you chose to imagine it..  i just gave you the tools to do so...

dazie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on April 27, 2006, 09:13:04 AM
Quote from: dazie on April 27, 2006, 08:43:32 AM

well it isnt my fault you chose to imagine it..  i just gave you the tools to do so...

Hrmph.  YOU'RE the tool.

Mr. Ubiquity

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, huh  huh... a  huh .. she said tool.

i gave you the key to open the door. i didnt make you open it, turn the light on, or look inside.

ReBurn

shoes match the belt.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Miss Molly

I did go to goodwill today, and I found the most awesome little copper cauldron!  I'm going to get my pops to drill a hole in the bottom.  Bought some deep plastic bowls also, 4 for $2.99, going to drill holes in those too.

dazie

I went to the farmer's market and got two beautiful purple basil plants in 4" pots.  Yay!

I'm off now to find something to put them in.  They deserve nicer than the hospital pan.

Miss Molly

So, I used Miracle Grow potting soil... was this a good choice?  It had a lot of sticks and crap in it. 

Or was there some other type of seeding soil I should have used?

WileE

That should do well, just don't fertilize the plants.

The biggest thing, especially being outside is drainage.  Need to keep moisture in the soil, but only to a point.  My mom used to put a couple inches of gravel (small gravel) in the bottom of the container so the soil would drain well.
Snakes on a mutha-f%$#in' plane!!!

"The Temple of Syrnix is havin' the bake sale of the year."

BigDun

My wife packs the bottom of inch of the pots with Styrofoam packing peanuts for the same purpose. The Styrofoam is a lot lighter than rocks.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

And it decomposes about as fast.  Which I guess is what makes it good for that purpose.

BigDun

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

ReBurn

Quote from: BigDun on May 03, 2006, 09:55:01 PM
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
It's actually quite a clever use for that stuff.

DownSouth

Quote from: ReBurn on May 04, 2006, 05:49:10 AM
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Stop tearing up cups, Earth killer.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: EmoSouth on May 04, 2006, 08:25:46 AM
Quote from: ReBurn on May 04, 2006, 05:49:10 AM
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Stop tearing up cups, Earth killer.

Ice-T, "Earth Killer"

I got my black shirt on.
I got my black gloves on.
I got my ski mask on.
This shit's been too long.

I got my acid rain.
I got my 12-guage for pain.
I'm 'bout to bust some shots off.
I'm 'bout to dust some Earths creatures off.

Earth killer, better you than me.
Earth killer, f**k Greenpeace brutality!
Earth killer, I know your family's grievin'
(f**k 'em)
Earth killer, but tonight we get even.

I got my brain on hype.
Tonight'll be your night.
I got this long-assed knife,
and your neck looks just right.
My adrenaline's pumpin'.
I got my stereo bumpin'.
I'm 'bout to kill me somethin'
An activist cant stopped me for nuthin'!

Earth killer, I know your mama's grievin'
(f**k her)

Die, die, die Earth, die!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace yeah!

I'm a Earth killer, f**k Greenpeace brutality!
Earth killer, I know your family's grievin'
(f**k 'em)

F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace!
F**k Greenpeace, break it down.
F**k Greenpeace, yeah.
F**k Greenpeace, for Exxon Valdez.
F**k Greenpeace, for President Bush.
F**k Greenpeace, for my dead homies.
F**k Greenpeace, for your freedom.
F**k Greenpeace, don't be a pussy.
F**k Greenpeace, have some muthaf**kin' courage.
F**k Greenpeace, sing along.

Earth killer!
Earth killer!
Earth killer!
Earth killer!
Earth killer, what you're gonna be when you grown up?
Earth killer, good choice.
Earth killer!
I'm a muthaf**kin' Earth killer!

Earth killer, I know your mama's grievin'
(f**k her)

Earth killer, but tonight we get even!

DownSouth

Jessie

That's damn funny.  I loved that album.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Miss Molly

My basil and oregano have sprouted!!  Yay!!!

ReBurn

That sounds kinda hot.