News:

40,000th post goes to Gamp!  Happy birthday!

Main Menu

2006 Oscar's

Started by VikingJuice, March 06, 2006, 12:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

Overall: B+

Stewart was funny but not anything spectacular.  I prefer Steve Martin or Billy Crystal but that's just me.

Crash was waaaay over-rated and didn't deserve Best Picture.  It's heavy handed and beats you-no, bludgeons you with it's point from the first four seconds.  In every sequence in this film, each actor chooses the absolute worst course of action to go in and leads to obvious and inevitable conclusions.

Brokeback was brilliant and didn't get enough attention.  It was caring, sensitive, and it really tugs at your heart.  Even though it's subject matter is clearly involving homosexual relationships, it's real point is a more universal one.  If you hear differently, it's probably because someone has an issue with the gay themes.

Good Night, Good Luck was brilliant, topical, well thought out and well made in most every regard.  It nails the spirit of the battle between justice and tyrranical facism.

Capote I didn't see but want to.  I'm glad to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman get some respect for his work, it's been long overdue.  To me, he's a poor man's Paul Giamatte.

Munich I didn't see either but will when it hits video.  I know the general story and from what Beef has said, it's pretty hard to take emotionally.

Even though this wasn't up for Best Picture, I really liked Hustle and Flow.  It was an intelligent look at the life of a man who makes his living by being a pimp but who dreams of more and actually chases his dream.  It's a twist on the "hooker with a heart of gold" theme by having the pimp with a heart of ...well....some kind of bling.  Terrence Howard nails his role and actually does a fantastic version of the rap It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp that should have been performed at the Oscar's instead of that ridiculous piece of crap that was actually performed.

pumpkineye

I never watched any of those movies so I am fairly indifferent about the whole oscar thing.  I did want to see john stewart though because I love him.... deeply.

cnamon

I was there for the fashion.  Reese Witherspoon looked lovely. 

Gamplayerx

I didn't watch - I assumed that they'd show the fashion highlights on the morning news.  I also assumed that I would watch the morning news.  But I didn't.

Alice

Quote from: cnamon on March 06, 2006, 07:55:58 AM
Yes she did.

I really liked Meryl Streep's dress.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on March 06, 2006, 02:06:39 PM
Yes she did.

I can't find any pictures of Meryl Streep's dress.  Or rather, I found an entire world devoted to her and it, but it wouldn't load.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Vikingjuice on March 06, 2006, 12:43:18 AM
Overall: B+

Capote I didn't see but want to.  I'm glad to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman get some respect for his work, it's been long overdue.  To me, he's a poor man's Paul Giamatte.

No kudos for Boogie Nights ehh??
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 06, 2006, 02:59:48 PM
Quote from: Alice on March 06, 2006, 02:06:39 PM
Yes she did.

I can't find any pictures of Meryl Streep's dress.  Or rather, I found an entire world devoted to her and it, but it wouldn't load.
I'm trying to find one...

Alice

This is the only one I could find, but it doesn't do it justice:

It had gorgeous detailing on it.

pumpkineye

Quote from: Alice on March 06, 2006, 03:14:45 PM

i don't think that's a very flattering neckline for her  :-X

nishi

jane seymour's plastic surgeon should be fed to rabid sharks.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

and what is that giant thing on charlize theron's shoulder? it's like 18 bridesmaids dresses got together, pooled their buttbows and attacked.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

VikingJuice

Quote from: nishi on March 06, 2006, 03:22:29 PM
and what is that giant thing on charlize theron's shoulder? it's like 18 bridesmaids dresses got together, pooled their buttbows and attacked.

How 'bout her hair!?!  I know it was a return to glam but I didn't realize it was a return to the early 70's bee hive too.  Maybe she was doing the live action Marge Simpson.

nishi

no one mentions this much, but dolly parton has GREAT legs.

lauren hutton looks fantastic.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

whoa!!! the remaining portions of those bridesmaids dresses - especially those involving net - apparently moved on to ambush naomi watts. that dress is just fucked up.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: pumpkineye on March 06, 2006, 03:15:58 PM
Quote from: Alice on March 06, 2006, 03:14:45 PM

i don't think that's a very flattering neckline for her  :-X
I concur.  But it is a very nice color for her.

Charlize Theron's dress was insane.  Who deliberately puts big flaps on their hips?

Alice

Quote from: Vikingjuice on March 06, 2006, 03:26:25 PM
Quote from: nishi on March 06, 2006, 03:22:29 PM

How 'bout her hair!?!  I know it was a return to glam but I didn't realize it was a return to the early 70's bee hive too.  Maybe she was doing the live action Marge Simpson.
I loved her hair!

That bow was atrocious though.

pumpkineye

Helen bohnam carter really disappointed me... i love her, but wtf is that?  it looks like a thrift store reject.

VikingJuice

Quote from: pumpkineye on March 06, 2006, 03:41:06 PM
Helen bohnam carter really disappointed me... i love her, but wtf is that?  it looks like a thrift store reject.

That's what her publicist said about her......OH!!!

Listener

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Queen Latifah rocks the big girl look.  I wish I had 1/4 of her self confidence.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Jessie

Quote from: nishi on March 06, 2006, 03:28:43 PM
no one mentions this much, but dolly parton has GREAT legs.

lauren hutton looks fantastic.

I love Dolly Parton.  I really do.

Jessie

So is this a dress or a pantsuit? 

pumpkineye

Quote from: Jessie on March 06, 2006, 07:13:31 PM
So is this a dress or a pantsuit? 

I think it's a safety restraint that got tangled up on her and brought along some friends.

Mr. Ubiquity

i voulenteer to be that saftey restraint, any day.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Jessie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on March 06, 2006, 10:12:45 PM
i voulenteer to be that saftey restraint, any day.
She's hit and miss for me.