News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

What are you reading right now?

Started by Infobahn, January 01, 2006, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Quote from: Beefy on January 03, 2006, 03:52:15 PM
Quote from: Listener on January 03, 2006, 03:50:13 PM
Recently:  "Superfolks", a superhero satire book from the 70s. 

I have that.  Classic stuff.

I love superhero fiction that doesn't take itself seriously.

There's a great short-story, I forget who wrote it, called Superman's Diary.  It's an alternate history of what happened after Superman revealed himself to Lois in S2 and took her to the Fortress of Solitude.  Superman decides to give up being Superman because he likes Clark Kent better.

Infobahn

Damn, this is deep stuff.  I was going to read the new Al Franken book, but now I think I am not challenging myself.

snizwilk

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/bb_title/display.pperl?isbn=9780767908184

Bill Bryson - *A Short History of Nearly Everything

He wrote A Walk in the Woods which is one of my favorites.  This one is all about the progression of science.  It's awesome.

BigDun

I went to the library yesterday and checked out Connections by James Burke. Same kind of history of everything kind of book.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Alice

I lied earlier.

Last night I picked up a book I've been looking for lately called, A Language Older Than Words.  For some reason, it's filed under "Gardening" and it's never there when I look for it.  I look everytime I'm at the bookstore & finally, after about a year, it was actually there.

Yes, I know I could order it online - but I'm weird & have this thing with books that I'd explain but y'all would think I'm crazy.  :)

ReBurn

I'm reading through all of my pages of unread topics.  52 to go!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurn on January 23, 2006, 11:38:20 PM
I kinda noticed that.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on January 24, 2006, 07:00:38 AM
Quote from: ReBurn on January 23, 2006, 11:38:20 PM
I kinda noticed that.
Me, too.

I'm reading Cell by Stephen King.  Know what I don't like?  The library now has "7 day express rentals" on new books and you can't renew them, so if you don't finish the book in 7 days, you either have to return it and go to the very back of the line or pay the fine.  I understand the theory, but it's getting to the point that I'm almost tempted to start buying books.