News:

Incontinence Hotline ... Can you hold, please?

Main Menu

King Kong

Started by Bishamonten, December 15, 2005, 12:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

Absolutely amazing.  I couldn't believe how well done the film was.  In anyone else's hands I think they would have simply modernized it and set it today instead of keeping true to the original film.  Peter Jackson had me at "I was about to bust my cookies" in Meet the Feebles and I've loved everything after that, but this was just above and beyond what was expected.  Kong himself was beautifully animated with Andy Serkis putting in another amazing turn as a movement actor. 

I actually cried a little   I think the way Kong's face resembled Falstaff's down to even the expressions and look in his eyes had a play in it, but mostly it was just really strong storytelling and directing.  The deep set eyes and flat nose made me think, "I've seen that look before!"  Only one other movie has made me cry. 

Easily going to make it into my favorite movies list. 

BigDun

I'm going to go see it tomorrow.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

cnamon

pETER jACKSOMN ;OOKS GREAT THSEES DAYS. 

BigDun

I saw it. It was really, unbelievably, incredibly, fantastically, spectacularly good.

Beefy

10:30am Saturday morning can't get here fast enough.

ReBurn

Wouldn't it be funny if it really sucked and they were just messing with you?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ignom

It could be three hours and seven minutes that you will never get back.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on December 15, 2005, 11:11:56 PM
It could be three hours and seven minutes that you will never get back.

8 more minutes and he could have bested James Cameron for Titanic.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Alice

I would totally fall in love with a giant monkey.

Jessie

I am in love with a giant monkey.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ignom

Infobahn

Quote from: ignom on December 16, 2005, 08:02:28 PM
Quote from: Jessie on December 16, 2005, 10:59:08 AM

I'm not that hairy.
You are admitting to being somewhat hairy, though.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ignom on December 16, 2005, 08:02:28 PM
Quote from: Jessie on December 16, 2005, 10:59:08 AM

I'm not that hairy.
The real question is how bendy are you?

That jessie.  Lucky gal.

BigDun

Gamplayerx

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 17, 2005, 12:14:48 AM
Quote from: BigDun on December 17, 2005, 12:10:47 AM
I'm very bendy.
O RLY?
I can bend at the waist with my legs staight and put my palms flat down on the floor. And then stand on my toes.

I can also do that thing where you sit on the floor with your knees bent backward and then lay down on my back.

I am proud of my flexibility.

dazie

Quote from: BigDun on December 17, 2005, 12:27:03 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 17, 2005, 12:14:48 AM
Quote from: BigDun on December 17, 2005, 12:10:47 AM
I'm very bendy.
O RLY?
I can bend at the waist with my legs staight and put my palms flat down on the floor. And then stand on my toes.

I can also do that thing where you sit on the floor with your knees bent backward and then lay down on my back.

I am proud of my flexibility.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

Maybe when I get back from Delaware.

ignom

I'm not as bendy as I was when I was 19.

Jessie

I've never been very bendy and I become less bendy with each passing year.

Jessie

Also, this is the giant monkey that I'm in love with.  I just keep ignom around for appearances.

Beefy

Quote from: BigDun on December 15, 2005, 09:36:20 PM
I saw it. It was really, unbelievably, incredibly, fantastically, spectacularly good.

x2

Oh, how I bawled.

swolt

Just got home. I was disapointed. I would rate it a 6 out of 10
There were too many problems I just couldn't get over and I never really got into the movie (like a girl climbing up a hundred foot ladder in high heels.) I kept trying to let Peter Jackson work his magic like he did with LOTR, but all these shortcomings really distracted me. Towards the end I was just hoping everyone would die so I could go home.
It had its moments and overall was enjoyable, but I would have liked a shorter film.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Infobahn

You see, I would have a problem that a 25 foot tall ape and dinosaurs still exsisted.  The hell with women in heels. ;)

swolt

Quote from: Infobahn on December 18, 2005, 12:27:50 PM
You see, I would have a problem that a 25 foot tall ape and dinosaurs still exsisted.  The hell with women in heels. ;)

in sci-fi/fantasy movies you have to have accept some things. This is suppose to be a magical island that somehow is not affected by what goes on outside the walls. These are the "rules" that Jackson clues us in on during the voyage and thus we are suppose to drop doubt and just believe it. Jackson did a great job of that in LOTR and even in The Frighteners(sp?), but he started to break his own rules and I think that really hurt the film. Like the very lame escape from the evil spider/critter place. WTF was up with the guns? They LOOKED like Tommy-Guns but it seems where anti-bug-does-not-hurt-human pop guns.

and not ONCE did Kong throw a barrell at anyone! NOT ONCE!

Beefy

I didn't find any of it difficult to buy into.  No more so than Legolas surfing the elephant's leg in whichever LOTR movie that was in.  Jackson likes to insert moments of whimsy in with his action.  I'm willing to suspend my disbelief so I can enjoy it.  I thought he did a great job of capturing that old school, wide-eyed grandeure that movie magic used to feel like back in the day.

ReBurn

I just watched the end of the two towers.  That was the first time I'd really watched any of it.  The tree-dudes are so cool!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ReBurn on December 18, 2005, 08:16:56 PM
I just watched the end of the two towers.  That was the first time I'd really watched any of it.  The tree-dudes are so cool!
You really don't want to make the tree-dudes angry.

HELIX

how about the one who catches on fire so he runs and ducks his head into the water to put it out...those trees are just so smart
Some people look at jerky and say, "Why?"  I look at jerky and say, "Mmm! Jerky!"

eo000

I liked it. It was good.

Jessie

I had no real desire to see this, but I really enjoyed it.  I probably would have cried at the end, except that I was busy consoling Timothy.  The entire 3 hours were an emotional rollercoaster for him.  The part when they first got on the island scared the crap out of him.  He said he was going to throw up when the bugs were attacking them.  He cried when they took Kong off of the island and when he died at the end.

It was good.  I liked it.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on December 19, 2005, 11:27:33 PM
I had no real desire to see this, but I really enjoyed it.  I probably would have cried at the end, except that I was busy consoling Timothy.  The entire 3 hours were an emotional rollercoaster for him.  The part when they first got on the island scared the crap out of him.  He said he was going to throw up when the bugs were attacking them.  He cried when they took Kong off of the island and when he died at the end.

Take an animal from his home environment and cage him up and expect him to act tame?   please.  They got what they deserved. 

forget the barrell throwing.   why didnt he and the dinosaur just start smashin the people and punchin out the bulding until they collapsed??  why not that???  huh???
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ReBurn

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 20, 2005, 09:04:45 AM

Take an animal from his home environment and cage him up and expect him to act tame?   please.  They got what they deserved. 

forget the barrell throwing.   why didnt he and the dinosaur just start smashin the people and punchin out the bulding until they collapsed??  why not that???  huh???
Donkey Kong and Rampage in one post.  Cool.

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurn on December 20, 2005, 09:23:50 AM

I'm glad you knew what the hell he was talking about.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on December 20, 2005, 09:24:22 AM
Quote from: ReBurn on December 20, 2005, 09:23:50 AM

My geek antennae are highly attuned today.  I think it's the kung-fu shoes.

Mr. Ubiquity

dont feel bad , my family never really know whats im talkin about.

Beefy

It was one of those movies where I repeatedly kept saying to myself, "I hate people."

cnamon

Quote from: swolt on December 18, 2005, 01:18:28 AM
There were too many problems I just couldn't get over and I never really got into the movie (like a girl climbing up a hundred foot ladder in high heels.)

I don't think you have met me and my shoes.

I have climbed ladders in heels.  It can happen.  Not 100 foot ladders, but pretty fucking high.

Beefy

The entire 3 hours were an emotional rollercoaster for him.

I guess this puts me at the emotional level of a 10 year old.

It's interesting, actually.  My little bro really liked it, and thought it was sad, but couldn't understand why I was crying.  He hasn't gotten to the point in his life where certain themes or ideals become poignant.  So it's like you and Tim had the exact opposite reaction that Josh and I had.

ReBurn

Did he punch you in the leg and call you a wuss?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on December 20, 2005, 10:16:46 AM
It was one of those movies where I repeatedly kept saying to myself, "I hate people."

you need a movie to say that?

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on December 20, 2005, 10:42:54 AM

It's interesting, actually.  My little bro really liked it, and thought it was sad, but couldn't understand why I was crying.  He hasn't gotten to the point in his life where certain themes or ideals become poignant.  So it's like you and Tim had the exact opposite reaction that Josh and I had.

Timothy is so much like you, now that I think about it.  He's so sensitive and was heartbroken for Kong, but kept wishing death on the people.

I'm certain that I would have cried had I not been distracted by Timothy.  I couldn't get 100% invested in it because I was amused by his reaction.  Amused isn't really the right word.  But you get the idea.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Jessie on December 20, 2005, 12:12:22 PM

Timothy is so much like you, now that I think about it.  He's so sensitive and was heartbroken for Kong, but kept wishing death on the people.

I'm certain that I would have cried had I not been distracted by Timothy.  I couldn't get 100% invested in it because I was amused by his reaction.  Amused isn't really the right word.  But you get the idea.

Your pointing and saying "Hahah!  This kid's crying for the big dumb monkey", may not have been apropriate!

Jessie

Quote from: Bishamonten on December 20, 2005, 02:20:05 PM
Quote from: Jessie on December 20, 2005, 12:12:22 PM

Your pointing and saying "Hahah!  This kid's crying for the big dumb monkey", may not have been apropriate!

I did no such thing!  I said, "Hey, man up Nancy.  Stop being such a puss."

Alice

So is this movie fine for a 10 year old to see?

I'm taking my friends kid out to see a movie (the one that wipes his ass)... and I kind of want to take him to this.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Alice on December 20, 2005, 02:21:44 PM

I'm taking my friends kid out to see a movie (the one that wipes his ass)... and I kind of want to take him to this.

The insect scene is a little intense, really. 

Jessie

Timothy got really scared and I had to have my arm around him through a lot of it, but he liked it.  I'd say it depends on the kid.

Jessie

Quote from: Bishamonten on December 20, 2005, 02:22:33 PM

Yeah, that scene made Timothy threaten to throw up.  It made me squirm quite a bit, too. 

Nothing got him quite like their arrival on the island, though.

Alice

Okay, probably shouldn't take him to it then.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on December 20, 2005, 02:22:33 PM

The maggots even got to me, and I don't skeeve too easily at that kind of stuff.

Mr. Ubiquity

in the movie they wipe an ass, or the kid who does?   rewardin him for cleanini the crack?

so why didnt we see any king kong sized shit piles or any stains down the side of the empire state building?    THATS why its not realistic..

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 20, 2005, 02:42:44 PM

in the movie they wipe an ass, or the kid who does?   rewardin him for cleanini the crack?

so why didnt we see any king kong sized shit piles or any stains down the side of the empire state building?    THATS why its not realistic..

its sometimes the kiid that doesnt do it but rathre his brrther then? cuz for chrismast since his mom gives EVERYTHING they waat, hard to find stuff for them.

so thats whyy the present of omvie, mabye dinner?

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on December 20, 2005, 02:47:43 PM

its sometimes the kiid that doesnt do it but rathre his brrther then? cuz for chrismast since his mom gives EVERYTHING they waat, hard to find stuff for them.

+1,000,000

Mr. Ubiquity

ohhh hah ha ha.   so now we have 3 lemmings who like to make fun of people who dont spell perfectly.  First catcher... then jessie wanted in, cant be original so gotta straggle behind someone else, now you.    any other lemmings out there??

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 20, 2005, 02:53:54 PM
ohhh hah ha ha.   so now we have 3 lemmings who like to make fun of people who dont spell perfectly.  First catcher... then jessie wanted in, cant be original so gotta straggle behind someone else, now you.    any other lemmings out there??

Hey, I wasn't making fun of your spelling.

I just couldn't understand what you were saying at all... after a few minutes of trying, I still had nothing.  So I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! 

Jessie

Damn it, now for some reason lemon party just jumped into my brain.  Damn.

Also, just so you know, Catchr really is rather difficult to understand and was long before you joined us.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on December 20, 2005, 02:56:10 PM
Also, just so you know, Catchr really is rather difficult to understand and was long before you joined us.

Yeah, if anything - you're a knock off of Catchr.

Mr. Ubiquity

then i must be thenew whippin boy until someone else come along.

that explains why hes so picky of grammar..

im gonna have to learn to type ebonics...

Jessie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 20, 2005, 03:00:18 PM

Catchr's black?

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on December 20, 2005, 03:00:45 PM

Catchr's black?
And all this time Dots has been trying to pass as the token!  What a liar, I KNEW she was white. 

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on December 20, 2005, 03:01:30 PM

Catchr's black?
And all this time Dots has been trying to pass as the token!  What a liar, I KNEW she was white. 

He was just pretending to be Asian to excuse his horrible driving.

Mr. Ubiquity

Catchr's black?

damn, your good.. WHHHEEEEEEEEE,   i just bask wanna bask in the shadow of your intellect.   WOOHOO

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 20, 2005, 03:13:32 PM

Catchr's black?

damn, your good.. WHHHEEEEEEEEE,   i just bask wanna bask in the shadow of your intellect.   WOOHOO
Teh irony make my head asplode.  *poof*

Mr. Ubiquity

Jessie

Dry then Catch

oh crap you all I leave for 4 days for Finals and Jury Duty and I am.  I forget, I only picked on "you're" and "your" because I have a .gif.  I only obey rules that are in .gifs. 

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on December 20, 2005, 09:19:04 PM
oh crap you all I leave for 4 days for Finals and Jury Duty and I am.  I forget, I only picked on "you're" and "your" because I have a .gif.  I only obey rules that are in .gifs. 

Whatever.  Go back to listening to rap music and whatever else it is that you black guys do.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on December 21, 2005, 08:55:38 AM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on December 20, 2005, 09:19:04 PM

Whatever.  Go back to listening to rap music and whatever else it is that you black guys do.

Oh god, the black guy is back near the board.  Lock the doors real fast, but pretend like we're doing something else so we don't offend him.

Dry then Catch

I keep telling you the only thing I correct is "your" and "you're", other than that I am very much for a hedonistic, free-form, Keraoucian, post modern dadist way of writing daddio.

One special part of me is 100% black, ladies....I'll let you guess which one.  my hair

Dry then Catch

Quote from: HELIX on December 18, 2005, 09:58:39 PM
how about the one who catches on fire so he runs and ducks his head into the water to put it out...those trees are just so smart

that post is awesome.

Anyway, I saw the movie a few days ago, and it had all the classic blockbuster elements, but the theme of of isolation and exploitation at the figurative and literal levels seemed sort of heavy handed.

According to Bergmann's Rule, the creatures on that island should have been smaller, not really large.  How does the energy transport through the food chain work?  I want to know!!  Also how come you can't see King Kong's dong or why isn't he throwing feces like those delightful and cheeky oranguatans at the San Diego Zoo?

Jessie

swolt

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Mr. Ubiquity

Mr. Ubiquity

damnit it didnt work...

ReBurn

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ReBurn on December 27, 2005, 08:42:06 PM
Sucks, huh?

yup.. like a bitch this high... *motions to waist*

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 27, 2005, 08:47:02 PM
Sucks, huh?

I'd imagine a woman would have to be high to be at your waist.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Alice on December 28, 2005, 09:55:02 AM
Sucks, huh?

AAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. your so funny lookin.

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 10:23:44 AM
Sucks, huh?

My so funny looking what?

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on December 28, 2005, 10:38:52 AM
Sucks, huh?

Toes?

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on December 28, 2005, 10:44:37 AM
Quote from: Alice on December 28, 2005, 10:38:52 AM
Sucks, huh?

Toes?
My toes aren't that funny looking.  They're about average.

Mr. Ubiquity

*considers explaining, but decides its a waste of ones breath*

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 10:48:08 AM

* Alice considers explaining why there's really no need for explanation, but decides it's a waste of good guano.

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on December 28, 2005, 10:50:27 AM

* Alice considers explaining why there's really no need for explanation, but decides it's a waste of good beano.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ReBurn on December 28, 2005, 10:50:49 AM

* Alice considers explaining why there's really no need for explanation, but decides it's a waste of good beano.
*considers explaining to Alice that explanations are most necessary intrying to explain why explanations are eneded, but decided that she may try to explain against ehe explanations and decides against it.*

Beefy

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 11:44:03 AM

*considers explaining to Alice that explanations are most necessary intrying to explain why explanations are eneded, but decided that she may try to explain against ehe explanations and decides against it.*

Dogs barking, can't fly without umbrella!

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on December 28, 2005, 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 11:44:03 AM

Dogs barking, can't fly without umbrella!
id ask you to explain it, but i dont want to confuse alice and have her state an explanation is not needed.

Beefy

Gamplayerx

I spent a long time wondering if the big monkey was Irish

but I guess alice's title is responsible.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 28, 2006, 01:20:25 PM
I spent a long time wondering if the big monkey was Irish

but I guess alice's title is responsible.
:D  King Kong is black Irish.