News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

The Ringer

Started by Listener, December 08, 2005, 07:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

There are some lines that should not be crossed, and the asinine new film "The Ringer" crosses one of them.

I can't believe this shit gets greenlit.  Do they have classroom of 12-year-old boys running studios these days?

Alice

How do you know it crosses a line?

Listener

Quote from: Alice on December 09, 2005, 10:05:10 AM
How do you know it crosses a line?

Well, okay, I admit that on here we all cross the lines of good taste, but we're a private group doing what we want in the confines of our own meetingplace.

But a movie about a guy who joins the special olympics and pretends to be retarded just to win a medal?  That's just wrong.

Gamplayerx

The reviews I've heard are actually pretty complimentary.

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 09, 2005, 02:34:39 PM
The reviews I've heard are actually pretty complimentary.

That scares me.

Everyone has something that, for them, is "This Far, No Further."

This is mine.

*shrug*

Alice

But if you haven't seen it, you don't know that it's the main point of the movie.  It could be a movie that in the end makes more people more understanding towards the mentally handicapped.  There may be some point that the writers/producers/actors are trying to make.

Listener

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/13361152.htm

You can dress it up any way you like, but... *sigh*... I don't care if the Special Olympics were in on it, or that the director/writer volunteers to help out, or any of that stuff.  The premise itself is so ridiculous.

Quote from: Alice on December 09, 2005, 02:37:16 PM
But if you haven't seen it, you don't know that it's the main point of the movie.  It could be a movie that in the end makes more people more understanding towards the mentally handicapped.  There may be some point that the writers/producers/actors are trying to make.

That's basically what that review says. 

Given the "Jackass" audience, though -- Johnny Knoxville IS the star -- I think the main group of viewers will be 9-14 year old boys who completely miss the message.

Beefy