News:

9/7/05- 6 months! How the heck did we miss that date?? And you didn't even remember to get me a gift!

Main Menu

The Big U, by Neal Stephenson

Started by Listener, November 27, 2005, 08:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

$9 (out of $10)

If you've never read Neal Stephenson's first book, from 1984, now would be a good time.  It has all the hallmarks of a current Stephenson novel -- interesting characters, outlandish plot points, incisive commentary, and tons of humor -- all set in a gigantic university in a huge city in what I think is the upper Midwest.

There are several plots, a few of which I will enumerate for you, according to the main character involved:

Casimir Radon, a junior in his late twenties, just wants to engage in intellectual pursuits.  He is a physics geek (sometimes genius), and his ultimate hopes are to build a mass driver (railgun), avenge his cat, and get it on with Sarah.

Sarah Jane Johnson, a senior, just wants to finish school, but things keep getting in the way.  She experiences hazing, explores sexuality, and in the end plays a pivotal role.

Dr Bud Redfield, a former college nose tackle living as faculty-in-residence and professor of Remote Sensing, who tells the story.

An amusing read, and you don't need to wade through a lot of heavy science as you do in Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon.  Great for a long plane trip.

dazie

ooo!  I haven't read this one.

ohhh secret saaaanta!

(I drop a lot of secret santa hints...  *grin*)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

Quote from: dazie on November 27, 2005, 06:30:13 PM
(I drop a lot of secret santa hints...  *grin*)
How long have you been dropping things?  I think there's an all-natural rememdy for that.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!