News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

the man. the turkey.

Started by nishi, November 25, 2005, 10:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

emeril is a very annoying personality. but the man can cook like nobody's business. i made this yesterday, and this is hands down the best turkey i've ever cooked, and i'm good at roasting turkeys. it's a turkey breast, not a whole turkey, and it was so moist and flavorful we practically stripped the carcass at the table.

unlike how i usually cook, i changed nothing about this recipe, although if i were making it for my friends instead of family, i'd probably add more jalapenos to the brine.

this is now my permanent turkey roasting recipe. i have several recipes that will never change - my recipe for mayonnaise, my recipe for the perfect roast chicken, things like that - this is now one of them. this is "the turkey recipe".

also, the seasoning mix used on the outside of the turkey when roasting, the emeril essence (and yes, that does sound kind of creepy, especially when it's emeril), is fantastic. i plan on making turkey salad tomorrow and throwing some of that in the mayo.

Emeril's Funky Turkey or Southwestern Turkey Breast
From Chef and author Emeril Lagasse

The turkey absorbs moisture and seasoning during the overnight brining process, which ensures a moist, flavorful bird that doesn't require basting. If you like, you can serve this with a Poblano Chocolate Mole (see below) for a really amazing flavor combination.

Ingredients

# One turkey breast, about 6 1/2 pounds
# 2 jalapenos, minced, with their seeds
# 2 oranges, cut in half
# 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
# 1 cup fresh lemon juice
# 1 cup chopped yellow onions
# 1 cup light brown sugar
# 1 cup kosher salt
# 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
# 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
# 1 tablespoon chili powder
# 1 tablespoon cumin
# 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, or regular dried oregano
# 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
# 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence

Directions

1. Put the turkey in a large colander and rinse under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.

2. To make the brining liquid, combine the remaining ingredients (except the oil and Essence) with 1 gallon of water in a large non-reactive container. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the turkey to the mixture and cover. Refrigerate at least 12 hours, and up to 24 hours. Or, if you don't have a large, non-reactive container, put the turkey breast in a large, plastic storage bag.

3. Make the marinade in another container, stir to dissolve the sugar and salt, and pour the marinade into the bag. Put the bag inside a large container in case it should leak or drip. Turn the turkey periodically to ensure that the turkey is evenly marinated.

4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the brine and put it in a large, heavy roasting pan, breast side up. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub the turkey with the vegetable oil, and sprinkle the outside and the cavity of the turkey with the Essence. Roast until deep golden brown, and an internal temperature registers 165 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

5. Remove from the oven and let stand in the roasting pan or on a serving platter for 15 minutes before carving.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Emeril's Essence
From Chef and author Emeril Lagasse

This is a basic spice mixture used in dozens of Emeril Lagasse's recipes.

Ingredients

# 5 tablespoons sweet paprika
# 1/4 cup salt
# 1/4 cup garlic powder
# 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
# 2 tablspoons onion powder
# 2 tablespoons cayenne
# 2 tablespoons dried oregano
# 2 tablespoons dried thyme

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and blend well. Store in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

VikingJuice

I don't know exactly what that tastes like, but DAMN!  Sounds really freakin' interesting.

nishi

i thought with all the citrus in the marinade, that it would be more fruity tasting than i like for meat (yes, read into that what you will), but i think it just added a nice low-key sweetness that wasn't identifiable as 'citrus' or even 'fruit'. just like marinating in all that salt gave flavor to the meat throughout wiithout it tasting salty. while it took a while to put all that together the night before, it was a really yummy bird, and not at all odd tasting, or unusual, or my relatives wouldn't have eaten it....
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dazie

I love Emeril's recipes.  One year for Christmas I made batches of "Essence" for all my friends- I use it on everything!

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on November 25, 2005, 11:55:21 PM
I love Emeril's recipes.  One year for Christmas I made batches of "Essence" for all my friends- I use it on everything!

you forgot his key ingredient.

*BAM*
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Jessie

My mom roasted her turkey with some Food Network recipe and it was hands down the best turkey she's ever made.

She put lemon, garlic and onion inside, that's all I know.  It was freakin awesome.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

meredith

just you wait...

BAM!

you just got emeril essence all over your face

i never thought of trying that on turkey.

Beefy

dazie

I want to try this, but for a whole turkey, not just turkey boob.  Any suggestions?  Double or triple it?

Beefy

i looked at a turducken tonight. waaay too expensive.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on November 14, 2009, 12:12:16 AM
i looked at a turducken tonight. waaay too expensive.

Tastes good though!!  So does the Cajun stuff turkey.  It's a turkey, with a chicken inside, with crawfish and spicey rice inside the chicken.  Haven't had one in a few years but so so so good.

dazie

I had turducken once.  meh.  I'm guessing if I went to someone's house and had it, instead of having it at Disneyland it would probably be better.

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on November 15, 2009, 09:11:33 AM
I had turducken once.  meh.  I'm guessing if I went to someone's house and had it, instead of having it at Disneyland it would probably be better.

Was it Donald-Turducken?  I'd imagine there would be emotional conflicts likely to make the meal less enjoyable!

Bishamonten

Emmeril really gets short shrift.  He's a crappy television host.  His shows don't teach you shit.  BUT people forget that he's an accomplished chef and has talent in spades. 

Find old videos of him.  He used to be on the Julia Childs show a lot.

dazie

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 15, 2009, 04:58:06 PM
Quote from: dazie on November 15, 2009, 09:11:33 AM

Was it Donald-Turducken?  I'd imagine there would be emotional conflicts likely to make the meal less enjoyable!

::)

Quote from: Bishamonten on November 15, 2009, 11:25:31 PM
Emmeril really gets short shrift.  He's a crappy television host.  His shows don't teach you shit.  BUT people forget that he's an accomplished chef and has talent in spades. 

Find old videos of him.  He used to be on the Julia Childs show a lot.

One thing I'm indebted to Emeril for though, is teaching Ursus that cooking isn't scary or particularly difficult.  Until Ursus was home with the kids and cable tv, he didn't cook much.  He watched endless Emeril on Food TV and really got the idea that "it ain't rocket surgery."  That came in handy when we moved here and he got a job as a professional cook.

Gamplayerx

*smooch* VJ

I tasted tofurkey at Trader Joe's yesterday.  It tasted like school lunch. 

So I might buy some.  If I can also find some rectangular pizza. 

:)

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 17, 2009, 09:26:26 PM
*smooch* VJ

I tasted tofurkey at Trader Joe's yesterday.  It tasted like school lunch. 

So I might buy some.  If I can also find some rectangular pizza. 

:)

Do they have tofu pigs in a blanket with good homemade bread too?  If so, I might get on board.  (not really, but you know...)

BigDun

Trader Joe's has pre-brined frozen turkeys for sale if anyone wants the deliciousness of brining without the effort.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

19 lb turkey.  WTF.  Way bigger than I thought it was going to be. 

Jessie

I have a 16 pound turkey in the freezer.  We're doing Thanksgiving at my house this year.  I'm excited.

swolt

Don't try and fry a frozen turkey. It might explode. This is one of those rare bits of advice that I did NOT have to learn the hard way, someone told me. And yes, I had planned to fry it frozen.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Infobahn

Good Eats on the Food Network has an excellent episode on deep frying safely.

VikingJuice

Quote from: swolt on November 19, 2009, 09:57:36 PM
Don't try and fry a frozen turkey. It might explode. This is one of those rare bits of advice that I did NOT have to learn the hard way, someone told me. And yes, I had planned to fry it frozen.

It's true.  I've seen a LOT of video footage on it.  Even partially frozen is VERY LIKELY to start a large fire.  Also, always fry your turkey a good 10-15 feet from your living structure.  Having a fire extinguisher handy wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Gamplayerx

My friend's brother writes a food blog -- I can't believe I haven't pimped him out before, it's crazy awesome (so I probably have).  Anyway, she said that he said that you could speed cook a turkey and they did.  Oh, found it.  http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/11/thanksgiving-2009-roast-spatchcocked-turkey.html

EDIT:  she also said it was like turkicide

grace

slow roasting a bird this year- rosemary, little rock salt, butter, stuffing with green onions, white beans, black olives, italian spices--add grape tomatoes before serving. made cranberry sauce with lime, and still messing with fruit salsa for desert...has to ferment for 24hrs. i really would love to eat cream cheese pie topped with raspberries, but i'm out of energy. i want to slack tomorrow, it's been raining all day and expected into tomorrow as well, perfect slacker weather!

BigDun

We went to Whole Foods this evening and bought our Thanksgiving meal a la cart.

VikingJuice

Tomorrow I'm cooking a pork loin stuffed with sausage and garlic chunks.  I'm also making Ranch style mashed potatoes.  Then I'll wash it down with a good bottle of wine, probably Dry Creek Fume Blanc, and I'll enjoy the whole day!!

swolt

Quote from: BigDun on November 25, 2009, 09:29:23 PM

with ice cream on top?

BigDun

Quote from: swolt on November 26, 2009, 12:07:47 PM
Quote from: BigDun on November 25, 2009, 09:29:23 PM

with ice cream on top?

Whipped cream.

dazie

This was quite possibly the best turkey we've ever cooked.

Thank GOD.  I paid a fortune for the damn bird.

Bishamonten

What to do with left over turkey?

CROQUETTES

1/4 c butter
1/3 c flour
1t salt
1 c milk
2 c finely diced cooked turkey
1T grated onion
1T lemon juice
1T chopped parsley or fresh tarragon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c fresh bread crumbs( I just pulse some saltines in the food processor )
1/3 c vegetable oil

1.  Melt butter and blend in flour and salt.  Stir in milk gradually and cook, stirring until mixture thickens.  It will get milky but keep stirring and it will thicken nicely.  Cook over low heat for 3 minutes.  Cool. 
2.  Stri in chicken, oinion, lemon juice, and chopped parsley.  Spread mixture in an 8-in square pan.  Chill.
3.  Shape mixture into 9 cutlets:  dip first in beaten egg and then in bread crumbs.  Fry in hot oil until brown.

I find that slices of lemon squirted over top are the best way to enjoy these.  Pictures later when my batch finishes. 

grace

leftover bird

turkey soup:

shredded turkey, turkey stock, leeks, chopped onions, white beans, egg noodles, fresh thyme, pepper.

at 1am, i'm thinking of this?

spent today, painting an antique dresser and mirror, cleaning out clutter, checking deals on computers, still plotting on mac computer, getting closer to the decision.

swolt

We had a snowball fight at mom's house yesterday (she has a snow-cone machine and we make snow from it.) I wasn't going to play but couldn't pass up the chance to nail Jared good. Then he and Jayme picked up a trash can lid full of snow and dumped it on me. It was cold.

Then Jared and I split some firewood and made a big bon fire. We talked about how much we hated splitting firewood when we were kids but now it was fun.

Then Jared tripped over Buddy the dog and busted his ass. It was lol funny.

BigDun

I'm going skiing today on real snow.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on November 26, 2009, 10:35:30 PM
This was quite possibly the best turkey we've ever cooked.

Thank GOD.  I paid a fortune for the damn bird.
My turkey was fantastic.  It was only $0.69/pound so not at all expensive.

I also cooked (with mom assisting):

mashed potatoes
gravy
dressing
corn
green beans
macaroni and cheese
deviled eggs
pasta salad
egg noodles (yes, lots of pasta varieties)
rolls
cabbage salad
sweet potatoes
baked apples
pumpkin pie
oatmeal cake
chess pie
uh, probably some other stuff I can't remember
and carroll baked a cinnamon bun cheesecake that made me die a little inside because it was so good.

Gamplayerx

I cooked nothing -- I just ate.  Bish's turkey leftovers turned into chicken when he croquetted them.  Interesting.

Jessie

We also had homemade cranberry sauce and two pumpkin pies.  I forgot about those.

Jessie

Oh I did remember the pumpkin pie.  Oops.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 30, 2009, 12:09:30 PM
I cooked nothing -- I just ate.  Bish's turkey leftovers turned into chicken when he croquetted them.  Interesting.

The original recipe is for chicken croquettes. 

dazie

Quote from: Bishamonten on November 30, 2009, 04:21:26 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 30, 2009, 12:09:30 PM

The original recipe is for chicken Gemini croquettes. 

FTFY.