News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

System of a Down

Started by Beef, May 17, 2005, 05:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

I don't listen to much metal anymore, of any variety.  I think it tends to be a more youthful genre of music.  However, my ear can always be caught my something out of the ordinary.

Until very, very recently I filed System of a Down under the kind of band that is more interesting than enjoyable.  It wasn't enough to get me to pay a great deal of attention.  Recently, Wired magazine ran an article on the creative process of the band's two new albums, and it got me more intrigued at what was going on.  I saw their new video on mtv2.com yesterday and, while it didn't bowl me over, I was intrigued.  The CD came out today and was on sale, so I bought it.

These guys are... strange.  Political.  Juvenile.  Talented.  It's interesting, I must say.  People who like their music a bit tweaked may want to take a listen.  Keep in mind - it is primarily metal, though not only metal.  The second song even makes me think of Bungle a bit due to the genre hopping.

I'll throw the new single and another song in the Dump if you're interested. 

Alice

Youphoric

Brothers had the "bootleg" for a while, and it's a bit mellower than the others.

I'm a big fan of System, their music just srikes my fancy.

Beefy

Beefy

B.Y.O.B. and Radio/Video are in the Dump.

Beefy

Wow, there's even a metal/retro 80s hybrid on the CD.  That's a new one.

Alice

Dry then Catch

they are banned in Turkey but someone i know over there says its sort of indie cool for the Turkish kids to have System stuff.

Beefy

Jessie

What I've heard from them annoys me.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

OBB

There are only two musical entities to come out of Armenia. System of a Down, and Raffi...

Discuss!

Alice

Jessie

Quote from: Jessie on May 17, 2005, 07:37:18 PM
What I've heard from them annoys me.

I almost said this and then I realized that I already did.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

snizwilk

Quote from: Beefy on May 17, 2005, 05:44:09 PM
I don't listen to much metal anymore, of any variety.  I think it tends to be a more youthful genre of music.  However, my ear can always be caught my something out of the ordinary.

Until very, very recently I filed System of a Down under the kind of band that is more interesting than enjoyable.  It wasn't enough to get me to pay a great deal of attention.  Recently, Wired magazine ran an article on the creative process of the band's two new albums, and it got me more intrigued at what was going on.  I saw their new video on mtv2.com yesterday and, while it didn't bowl me over, I was intrigued.  The CD came out today and was on sale, so I bought it.

These guys are... strange.  Political.  Juvenile.  Talented.  It's interesting, I must say.  People who like their music a bit tweaked may want to take a listen.  Keep in mind - it is primarily metal, though not only metal.  The second song even makes me think of Bungle a bit due to the genre hopping.

I'll throw the new single and another song in the Dump if you're interested. 

Hypnotize is a GREAT album.. very true to SOD roots.. good shit.. very good shit.. SEE THEM LIVE..

snizwilk

If you can't drive to work listening to Hypnotize without your skin curling on your back.. you should check your pulse.

snizwilk

musical genius they are.. fucking awesome.. they are.

snizwilk

Beefy

There seem to be a handful of songs on the new disc that deal directly with their Armenian heritage and the atrocities those people have faced.  That background gives their music a singular ferocity.

There are also, sadly, another couple of juvenile songs.  They'd be better off eschewing that crap sticking with the serious stuff.