News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

The Weather Man

Started by Listener, November 04, 2005, 12:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Did anyone see The Weather Man?  I'm tempted to.

DownSouth

I'm not really even sure what it is about.  I know he gets shit thrown at him a lot.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

I'll probably catch this one when it makes it to Encore.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

meredith

Yeah. It was amusing at points, but started to drag at the end.  3.5/5

Dry then Catch

I think you would like it a lot Listener.

Just saw it at the cheap theaters yesterday.  Middle aged, white well-to-do angst.. and I loved it.  I agree with Hatt, it did sort of  drag at the end.  About a man realizing his own shallowness, the unintentional stryfe he has caused and his attempts to reconcile them.  Some allegory about weather and life.

Much like the incredibly underrated Matchstick Men, it was marketed horribly.  I thought it would be like Nicholas Cage and The Family Man or some other dreck.  Commercials made it seem like some slapstick, semi romance comedy, when in fact it was a serious character study on life, family and your own values.

It felt sort of like American Beauty, but I thought it was far superior.  Less demented behavior, and much less pretension.  American Beauty had its moment and a good heart, but overal I thought it was preachy melodramatic and overhyped.

The scenes with his father, Michael Caine were poignant and wrly humorous.  The best parts of the movie.  It wasn't your stereotypical dysfunctional father son relationship.  There is much mutal affection, Caine is loving, respectable and deep, all things the Cage character wishes he could emulate (and tries unsucessfully too). 

The fat preteen daughter is going to be an excellent actress, I just wonder how you cast for that. 

I gave it 9 out of 10 thumbs up.   Deadpan hilarity + much higher than average character depth + non-whiny existentialism.

meredith

That's the review I would have written if I could stop and think deeply about something.  Thanks, Catchr.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: hattmoward on November 20, 2005, 12:25:13 PM
That's the review I would have written if I could stop and think deeply about something.  Thanks, Catchr.

"I believe her colleagues are calling her camel toe"