News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

Movies that make you cry every time you watch them

Started by Beefy, November 22, 2005, 10:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bennyhana on November 22, 2005, 01:12:31 PM
I don't think there are any movies that get me, but for some reason I get too choked up to sing along with Ben Folds' "The Luckiest" or "Bobby and June" from the soundtrack to "A Mighty Wind."

Arms of an angel by sarah mclachlan gets me every time.  makes me think about both my grandparents.  *sigh*
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Jessie

I don't think there are any movies that get me, but for some reason I get too choked up to sing along with Ben Folds' "The Luckiest" or "Bobby and June" from the soundtrack to "A Mighty Wind."

The Luckiest is one of the best songs ever written.  It is beautiful.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 22, 2005, 01:14:07 PM

Arms of an angel by sarah mclachlan gets me every time.  makes me think about both my grandparents.  *sigh*

That makes me think about Nana, my surrogate grandma.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Alice on November 22, 2005, 01:54:03 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 22, 2005, 01:14:07 PM

That makes me think about Nana, my surrogate grandma.

group cry... group cry...
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Mr. Ubiquity

VikingJuice

Quote from: Infobahn on November 22, 2005, 10:52:04 AM
Rudy
Hoosiers
Behind the Green Door

It's all about the balls...

Yeah, the part where he gets accepted to the university and again when he makes the sack at the end of the game.  Both parts just fill me with emotion.

Jessie

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I need to listen to that on the way home.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on November 22, 2005, 02:47:59 PM
I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I need to listen to that on the way home.

I don't know that I've ever heard that.  Dump anyone?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

I'd offer to do it tonight, but I have to work tonight.  Remind me over the weekend and I'll be happy to.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on November 22, 2005, 03:45:09 PM
I'd offer to do it tonight, but I have to work tonight.  Remind me over the weekend and I'll be happy to.

I'll try.  My brain usually goes on hold then... *lol*

sugar_grrl

Have you ever seen a llama kiss a llama on the llama?

dazie

nishi

god. way too many to list.

here's a partial list:

harvey - about 7 different scenes, including the bar speech where he talks about what he and harvey do, and how they make friends and what harvey means to people, and of course the scene where he tells vera that if harvey makes her so unhappy that he will do whatever she wants him to do. and then i cry again immediately when she freaks out and goes running back in there to make sure they haven't given him the shot.

you can't take it with you

it's a wonderful life, even including zillions of viewings - not the very end, but the moment when he first takes in all those people.

my life as a dog - lots.

heaven can wait (the warren beatty one), when he stops, turns, and looks at julie christie and says "wait - do i ... do i know you?" also, when he tells her that everything is going to be ok.

wings of desire - lots.

grapes of wrath (henry fonda's speech at the end, and the early scene where ma is looking at things from a box of mementos that she has to leave behind).

the unbearable lightness of being - i can't remember any of the rest of that film, in spite of having seen it several times, but the scene where they have to put the dog down and she says to her husband, about the dog, "i love him more than i love you" and then corrects that to "i love him better than i love you, because he has no expectations and i can never disappoint him". i cried in a way that i would describe as "nearly hysterical" when i first saw this in the theater. i have no idea how this movie ends.

to kill a mockingbird ("stand up, scout. your father's passing", and at the end, when she tells boo radley "it's ok. you can pet him") (of course, i also laugh uncontrollably the first time she shows up in the ham costume).

i cry at many films. lots and lots of films. not just sad ones.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

Big Fish makes my eyes water a little.  But in a good way.

I am watching it again now.

nishi

i should add

the right stuff

the dish

astronaut movies that don't include tom hanks make me weepy, because i'm old and all. you punks don't know what it was like, getting hauled out of bed to watch moon landings. get off my lawn.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dc

Gamplayerx

Beefy

dc

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on November 22, 2005, 03:45:09 PM

did anyone upload it yet?

Call me extremely sappy of military crudlo, but also everytime the history channel has a proud WW II vet  give a few descriptions and then start to tear up.  I can't help it, I want to cry too. I like it because they are usually chubby, full of jowls and wearing those hats.  Its always sort of depressing to see them compared to their younger GQ gentleman-soldier pictures. 

meredith

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 25, 2005, 12:42:18 PM
Call me extremely sappy of military crudlo, but also everytime the history channel has a proud WW II vet  give a few descriptions and then start to tear up.  I can't help it, I want to cry too. I like it because they are usually chubby, full of jowls and wearing those hats.  Its always sort of depressing to see them compared to their younger GQ gentleman-soldier pictures. 

Same here.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: hattmoward on November 25, 2005, 01:35:41 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 25, 2005, 12:42:18 PM

Same here.

Ditto.  Expecially when i watch Band of brothers and before each episode, they have the actual guys the miniseries talkin about each episode before it plays, and when i see one of those guys get emotional, i know its about the loss or the suffering they went through and it makes me feel the same because the loss that they feel i could never imagine.

ignom

The best episode of Band of Brothers, and the one that affects me the most, is the "Why We Fight" episode, about finding the concentration camp.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.