News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

Walk the Line

Started by Beefy, November 19, 2005, 10:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Not that I was feeling all that compelled to go see it in the first place, but I just realized who directed it.

James Mangold.

There is now no chance in hell I will go see it.

Mangold is quite possibly the most relentlessly mediocre director working today.  He has never made a good, involving film and he probably never will.  How he attracts the casts he does is beyond me.

Oh well, I heard Phoenix was good, too.

meredith

I planned on catching that this weekend.

How come Phoenix gets so many roles that die?

Mr. Ubiquity

hes a martyr mr. sporkinator.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

cnamon

VikingJuice

Just watched this overnight and was astounded with how much I liked it.  I expected a few decent moments from all the things I'd read but I was genuinely impressed.  There's a certain sentimental hook wired in that if it catches you, will take you on a wonderful ride of emotion.  Maybe I was just in the right frame of mind or was overly open to something so sentimental but I was honestly moved by this film.  I really enjoyed the portrayals of Cash and Carter and the performances were very strong.

Reese pulled off something I didn't think she was capable of and that was portraying in a soft, subtle manner, the quiet but fierce inner strength that the real June Carter had.  She quite literally saved Johnny's life in every conceivable way and redeemed him more than anyone else in his life could have even fathomed.  Reese nailed every moment of that redemption and just blew me away. 

And as much as I have completely disliked Joaquin throughout most of his career, the boy impressed the hell out of me in this movie.

When you add to that, the fact that they played most of their own instruments and sang all the lyrics without someone else doing the songs, it makes for one heck of an effort.  Sure, they aren't Johnny and June, no one could ever do that.  But for what they attempted, to try and capture what their lives were like and to let you walk side by side with them for over a decade of these two fascinating lives, they knocked it out of the park!!

Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!

ReBurn

I saw it in Blockbuster yesterday as I was browsing for some 4 for $20 previously viewed DVD's.  But ultimately I passed.  There was an awful lot of Van Damme for sale.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on July 05, 2006, 07:29:20 AM
There was an awful lot of Van Damme for sale.

You have to have priorities, man.

VikingJuice

Quote from: ReBurn on July 05, 2006, 07:29:20 AM
I saw it in Blockbuster yesterday as I was browsing for some 4 for $20 previously viewed DVD's.  But ultimately I passed.  There was an awful lot of Van Damme for sale.

Sounds like MAXIMUM VAN DAMAGE!!!!