News:

3/12/05 5000th post provided by Bishamonten

Main Menu

DRM expands to sony games

Started by Listener, November 14, 2005, 02:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

http://multiplementality.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2005/11/14/557/

Looks like if you use a Sony game with DRM in the future, you'll never be able to use that game on any other console, thereby ending (a) lending games to your friends (b) trading in games for other games (c) running a business based on used games a la Gamestop or EB.

Real intelligent on Sony's part.

ReBurn

This is what mod chips are made for.  Anyway, I don't think that Sony would be so dumb as to actually lock down an individual ROM to the first console it is dropped into.  They know that people won't be willing to drop another $60 per game if their PS3 breaks and they have to replace it.  They also know that many people will not purchase a game until after they have rented it and tried it out.  I'm thinking that the technology will be far less nefarious in its application, whatever that may be.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Listener

Quote from: ReBurn on November 14, 2005, 02:37:07 PM
This is what mod chips are made for.  Anyway, I don't think that Sony would be so dumb as to actually lock down an individual ROM to the first console it is dropped into.  They know that people won't be willing to drop another $60 per game if their PS3 breaks and they have to replace it.  They also know that many people will not purchase a game until after they have rented it and tried it out.  I'm thinking that the technology will be far less nefarious in its application, whatever that may be.

We can hope, but given that they're putting trojans on PCs of people who legally purchase their CDs and legally rip them to their personal music libraries, I just don't know.