News:

9/8/05: 6 months, 75,000 posts! Thanks to Nishi for the post!

Main Menu

Everything is Illuminated

Started by snizwilk, November 11, 2005, 07:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snizwilk

Good read.. good laughs.. check it out.

Gamplayerx

nishi

i just finished this last week!! a GREAT book. i was talking about his newest novel, extremely loud and incredibly close, in a thread the other day.

they are the best two books i've read this year. and everything is illuminated has sections that are very magic realism, which i like, and sections which are just astounding hilarious. it was also a book with several scenes where, in a moment, things came together so quickly and the shock was so great, that i had to stop reading for a second and go back and read again. not scary shock - just that *chunk* when surprising things fall into place.

and i can see, after reading it, where it could be a very good movie. different from the book - but it could be good.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

The both of you aren't doing a very good job of book reviewing. First, there's no clicky. Secondly, although you both mention laughs or hilarity, I have no idea if it's slapstick or situational or just plain silly.   And I'm way too lazy to find out on my own. 

But I'm about to finish the 3rd Thursday Next book and my library system doesn't have the next one, so I'm looking for something to read, so I'll probably check it out.

ignom

You know how to use google, and obviously your fingers aren't broken.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

dc

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 11, 2005, 10:42:48 PM
The both of you aren't doing a very good job of book reviewing. First, there's no clicky. Secondly, although you both mention laughs or hilarity, I have no idea if it's slapstick or situational or just plain silly.   And I'm way too lazy to find out on my own. 

But I'm about to finish the 3rd Thursday Next book and my library system doesn't have the next one, so I'm looking for something to read, so I'll probably check it out.

At least their reviews aren't as wordy as Eo's are.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ignom on November 11, 2005, 10:44:44 PM
You know how to use google, and obviously your fingers aren't broken.
Did you not see this part: 
QuoteAnd I'm way too lazy to find out on my own.
?

QUIT JUDGING ME!

Good point, dc.

nishi

everything is illluminated:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060529709/qid=1131836148/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8855024-4897549?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

extremely loud and incredibly close:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618329706/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/104-8855024-4897549?v=glance&s=books&n=507846&st=*

the way these books are funny is by a combination of narrative voice - very quirkly and very detailed - and through his ability to pull you along with the main character and then suddenly the character is doing something so surprising and so intensely focused that it's hilarious.

mostly, he draws amazing characters, pulls you immediately into their world and then lets you learn about them from the inside out, as they go through some pretty intense adventures. they are both full of adventures of the heart - i don't mean about falling in love. i mean about being driving to *know* something from the bottom of your heart, about someone or something that you love, and overcoming all kinds of fears and misgivings to do so, because it is so important.

and, there's a little slapstick, i have to say.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Gamplayerx

Quote from: nishi on November 12, 2005, 06:01:06 PM
everything is illluminated:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060529709/qid=1131836148/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8855024-4897549?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

extremely loud and incredibly close:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618329706/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/104-8855024-4897549?v=glance&s=books&n=507846&st=*

the way these books are funny is by a combination of narrative voice - very quirkly and very detailed - and through his ability to pull you along with the main character and then suddenly the character is doing something so surprising and so intensely focused that it's hilarious.

mostly, he draws amazing characters, pulls you immediately into their world and then lets you learn about them from the inside out, as they go through some pretty intense adventures. they are both full of adventures of the heart - i don't mean about falling in love. i mean about being driving to *know* something from the bottom of your heart, about someone or something that you love, and overcoming all kinds of fears and misgivings to do so, because it is so important.

and, there's a little slapstick, i have to say.
Oh.  Cool! I'll check them out.  :)

Beefy

I really wanted to see that movie.

Well, not really.  If I really wanted to see it I would have made an effort to do so.

Nevermind.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!