News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Mushishi

Started by Bishamonten, November 02, 2005, 03:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

A new anime called "Mushishi" has been released in Japan.  It is based off the Manga of Urushibara Yuki - a female manga-ka( manga artist ).  The comic-book form( manga ) is very lush and most of the detail is in the beautifully depicted backgrounds - for which Urushibara was given a national art award.  So far, this has translated well in the anime and the story telling is just as strong.  It's well worth you time to pull a download off a torrent server.  C1-Anime is translating and releasing the subtitled version via bitorrent here:  http://a.scarywater.net/c1anime/ 

If you've ever even been interested in Anime, this is the one for you.  It doesn't rely on cliched anime sequences( never going to see a long "power-up" sequence, here ) and even takes time to develop ancillary characters that may only be showing up for one episode.  Great storytelling and fantastic art. 

ReBurn

I don't really like sushi all that much.  But thanks!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

I will look into it shortly after my thumbs fall off.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurninator on November 02, 2005, 03:43:37 PM
I don't really like sushi all that much.  But thanks!
I lurve sushi.

ignom

I like California Roll.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

meredith

Quote from: Bishamonten on November 02, 2005, 03:40:26 PM
A new anime called "Mushishi" has been released in Japan.  It is based off the Manga of Urushibara Yuki - a female manga-ka( manga artist ).  The comic-book form( manga ) is very lush and most of the detail is in the beautifully depicted backgrounds - for which Urushibara was given a national art award.  So far, this has translated well in the anime and the story telling is just as strong.  It's well worth you time to pull a download off a torrent server.  C1-Anime is translating and releasing the subtitled version via bitorrent here:  http://a.scarywater.net/c1anime/ 

If you've ever even been interested in Anime, this is the one for you.  It doesn't rely on cliched anime sequences( never going to see a long "power-up" sequence, here ) and even takes time to develop ancillary characters that may only be showing up for one episode.  Great storytelling and fantastic art. 

Dude you're trying to promote it by telling people to go rip off copies. :)  Aren't (popular) female manga-kas uncommon?  I can think of ... one? Rumiko Takahashi.

Gamplayerx

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 03, 2005, 06:55:22 AM

I'm pretty sure I liked those when I was a little girl, though I can't clearly remember what they are.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Creepy.  That's what they were.

Bishamonten

Quote from: hattmoward on November 03, 2005, 12:32:36 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on November 02, 2005, 03:40:26 PM

Dude you're trying to promote it by telling people to go rip off copies. :)  Aren't (popular) female manga-kas uncommon?  I can think of ... one? Rumiko Takahashi.

Well, if you like you can move to Japan and start watching the series as it airs.  Given that it's brand new it hasn't been liscensed by an American distributor yet. 

Female Manga-kas aren't entirely common.  Azuma Kiyohiko, the creator of Azumanga Daioh, comes to mind.  Mostly it's a male dominated market on both ends of consumer model.  The most famous manga( which is usually released as a giant collection of comics in one book ) is Shounen Jump and Shounen is another word for "boy".  A majority of the artists and producers are male as well.  It's usually pretty interesting to see a female manga-ka get popular. 

Now, go watch Mushishi.

Gamplayerx

Monchichi Monchichi
oh so soft and cuddly
with your thumb in your mouth you're really sweet
love to wiggle those little feet
la la la
la la la
happy happy Monchichi

(spastic child in background screaming "I LOVE YOU MONCHICHI!")

Monchichi, monchichi,
oh so soft and cuddly,
with their thumb in their mouth they're really neat,
fun to wiggle their little feet!
la la la
la la la

Jessie

Did monchichi's live in trees?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

I have no idea.  I just remember the annoying song - I think from the commercials for the dolls.  I don't think I ever actually watched the show.

ignom

I used to watch the cartoon.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.