News:

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill.

Main Menu

Dune 2021

Started by Beefy, October 28, 2021, 12:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

You know what? I was whelmed.

Lynch's version may be flawed but at least he inserted strangeness and melodrama into his space opera. Now everything was muted and pouty and dull. Even the Harkonnens weren't very memorable. Momoa and Brolin played themselves. The sandworms were better 1984.

The design was pretty special, so that was nice. And Rampling was surprisingly good.

Meh. I'll watch it again, I'm sure, but it wasn't the experience I'd hoped for.

BigDun

I've heard that it really needs the big screen. That being said, I'll probably watch it on HBO Max before I'm ready to go into a theater again.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

Part 2 was greenlit, maybe I'll wait til it's done to watch.  I love Dune, and I'm geeked about this.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on October 29, 2021, 11:10:57 AM
Part 2 was greenlit, maybe I'll wait til it's done to watch.  I love Dune, and I'm geeked about this.

I'm actually surprised they're spending the money on it. It didn't exactly heat up the box office. Decent opening, then fell.

meredith

yeah it was pretty but I was whelmed.  it was kinda expected that they'd cut it where they did, and that leaves you with a part 1 that only has an incredibly weak version of the classic narrative arc.  i think the one with the space pug has to take the crown

i have mixed feelings about dune overall, but i respect that its a genre classic

dazie

It's such a niche story, for being as widely known as it is.  Difficult to encapsulate in a single movie.  There was a mini series that was pretty good, but it's not well known.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/  I think I still have a copy of that one, but it's in Kansas with everything else I own.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?