News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Started by Listener, October 29, 2005, 08:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Got this last night.  It's fun enough, although I am not fond of the fact that you have to learn the complicated tricks progressively.  I love flatland tricks (manual into different stuff) but my skater can't do them yet.  That sort of thing.

The "no load time" thing is a bit of a lie.  There is load time in the game.  It's just camouflaged.  A while back, someone writing a review of Madden 2005 wondered why they couldn't put a mini-game in the load screen.  That's basically what THAW has -- a really long "hallway" sequence where you can skate and practice tricks (or just run through it) to keep you distracted while the game loads.  A good idea, but not necessarily NO load time.

I don't like that you can't create a skater all by yourself; you have to start with one of five existing skaters and play as him.

The writing and dialogue are good but somewhat cheesy, but the acting is good.  We're pretty sure the ubiquitous Cree Summer plays Mindy, the person who guides you through everything, although she also sounds a little like Jenna Jameson.

The gameplay is faster and sharper than ever, and there are some interesting new tricks.  Also, I like how the balance meters show you if it's safe to fall or not.

Overall, I give the game an 8 out of 10 so far.

Alice

To be fair, they said "no load screens" - not no load time.

eo000

I rented it this weekend. the 5 starting character's kinda sucks, but you alter their appearance first thing.  i like the new moves and tricks they've added.

Listener

Quote from: eo000 on October 31, 2005, 01:29:05 PM
I rented it this weekend. the 5 starting character's kinda sucks, but you alter their appearance first thing.  i like the new moves and tricks they've added.

Yeah, some of it's cool, although in Story Mode you can't change the buttons you press to do tricks, which sucks.  Usually, I shift around a few tricks and get rid of the Madonna because I always have trouble landing it.

Beefy

I was busy playing this.  You play the dude on the horse.  You get a little sword and a bow and arrow.

ignom

Do you have to chase the horse every time you fall off?
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ReBurn

I'm going back to Liberty City tonight.  I've gotten myself hooked on mindless carnage again.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on October 31, 2005, 07:51:20 PM
Do you have to chase the horse every time you fall off?

It stays near, or you can call it to you when needed.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on October 31, 2005, 07:53:13 PM
I'm going back to Liberty City tonight.  I've gotten myself hooked on mindless carnage again.

Last one out of Liberty City... burn it to the ground.