News:

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to write "The Last DJ" and then do a Pepsi Budweiser Sobe Depends Claritin Prozac GoDaddy StateFarm Coca-Cola Coors Vitamin Water Attends Allegra Xanax 1-800-Safe-auto RC Cola Miller Gatorade Huggies Robotussin Morphine Halftime Show.

Main Menu

Saw Doom last weekend

Started by scoop20906, October 26, 2005, 12:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoop20906

I gave it a B.

here is my mini-movie review.

Doom strikes the right amount of tension

I heard that Doom was going to be made into a movie months back and instantly groaned. Boy, that will suck. Then, recently I heard that the movie was going to star "The Rock". That intrigued me so I checked out the movie and I'm glad I did. The story is the simple "bug hunt" much like how Aliens set the standard years ago and has been copied MANY times but most movies can't match the level of tension. Doom comes very close. Even though you pretty much know who is going to get it and that there are monster there, the movie is still able to create the right amount of tension and atmosphere to keep your attention. With some mild plot twists at the end, this is a good popcorn movie to see on a friday or saturday night. The special effects are well done and suprisingly the characters motivations come across well. Rarely are you scratching your head why something happened although this does happen too. Overall, good movie. Worth seeing in the theatre.

ignom

I haven't played Doom since the mid 90s when it was shareware. I may catch the movie when it comes on Showtime or something.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Jessie

I played doom once probably in like 96. 
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

scoop20906

Quote from: Jessie on October 26, 2005, 12:18:45 PM
I played doom once probably in like 96. 
same with me. I probably played the shareware version back in 1996 a few times and wasn't terribly impressed so I couldn't compare the story to the game at all.

Funny thing did happen while I was in line waiting for the theatre to open. Some uber-geeks were standing next to the line (maybe 3 feet away) literally dicussing the plot of the movie and comparing it to the game. I really wasn't listening but this big fat dude in line in front of us turned on them after about 5 minutes and asked, "How clueless do you guys have to be to be discussing the plot of a film next to the line to see the next screening?"

I have to admit the looked pretty embarrassed.

meredith

I played a lot of Doom.. it was one of the first easily and heavily modifiable games out there.

Beefy

I saw it last weekend as well.  It was... there.

The best part of the whole thing was the new trailer for Slither in front of it.

Jessie

It has the Rock.  So, there's that.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: hattmoward on October 26, 2005, 12:32:04 PM
I played a lot of Doom.. it was one of the first easily and heavily modifiable games out there.

Aliens doom2 was one of the scariest games/mods ever
Simpsons doom2 was one of the funniest games/mods ever

Gamplayerx

I don't remember there being a plot for Doom.  Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong game.  Weren't you just some gun running around hallways shooting things and looking for hidden entries and stuff?

ReBurn

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on October 26, 2005, 12:43:24 PM
Quote from: hattmoward on October 26, 2005, 12:32:04 PM

Aliens doom2 was one of the scariest games/mods ever
Simpsons doom2 was one of the funniest games/mods ever
I bet you guys installed the naked patches, didn't you?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ignom

During the brief period I played The Sims, I downloaded a Sims mod of Storm Shadow.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.