News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

Another Fantasy Football Starting Question

Started by Listener, October 07, 2005, 11:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Would you start:

Cardinals PR/KR Reggie Swinton against the Panthers, who are known to score about 25-30 points per game against average-to-soft defenses (and the Cardinals D is kind of weak in the secondary), in a league where you get 1 point for every 10 return yards.

OR

Broncos RB Mike Anderson, who'll probably be the starter, but may lose carries to the "RB by committee" approach.  Also, Anderson is facing a VERY tough Redskins run defense that held Shaun Alexander to less than 100 yards last week, and while Anderson is good, he's not Shaun Alexander good.

I'm probably going to start Swinton, but I'm just askin'.

Listener

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

eo000

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on October 07, 2005, 11:46:59 AM
Dan Quayle.

Or Dan Marino.
Dan Marino comes with kung-fu grip and removable Isotoners.

Beefy

eo000

Quote from: Beef on October 07, 2005, 12:04:57 PM
Quote from: eo000 on October 07, 2005, 11:52:42 AM
my gut says go with anderson.

Is your gut dressed up like Sailor Moon?

That's a dumb question.

Fridays I do Pokemon characters. Today I broke out my Wigglytuff costume.

VikingJuice

The numbers in most leagues would suggest otherwise.  While Anderson is a legit back in a good offense, the RB by committee argument is strong but made even stronger when considering it's against the Redskin's defense which is looking very stout recently.  Swinton, not usually an option since his college years, can be very productive in a fantasy league where 10 return yards = 1pt.  In fact, I've picked up Swinton in a couple leagues recently for the same thing and his productivity has easily surpassed most running backs outside of the elite few.

When debating stuff like this, it's important to consider how much a particular guy is averaging per week and then use that to guage how you think he'll do in a particular matchup.

Listener

Quote from: vikingjuice on October 07, 2005, 12:17:10 PM

The numbers in most leagues would suggest otherwise.  While Anderson is a legit back in a good offense, the RB by committee argument is strong but made even stronger when considering it's against the Redskin's defense which is looking very stout recently.  Swinton, not usually an option since his college years, can be very productive in a fantasy league where 10 return yards = 1pt.  In fact, I've picked up Swinton in a couple leagues recently for the same thing and his productivity has easily surpassed most running backs outside of the elite few.

When debating stuff like this, it's important to consider how much a particular guy is averaging per week and then use that to guage how you think he'll do in a particular matchup.

Yeah, I'm about 99% to go with Swinton at this point.

BTW... if anyone needs a WR, Joe Jurevicius is starting this week, and he's really good at catching the ball 'n stuff, so go for him if you need him.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Listener on October 07, 2005, 01:51:23 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on October 07, 2005, 12:17:10 PM

Yeah, I'm about 99% to go with Swinton at this point.

BTW... if anyone needs a WR, Joe Jurevicius is starting this week, and he's really good at catching the ball 'n stuff, so go for him if you need him.

It's odd that you describe Jurevicius as good at catching the ball seeing as how he plays for Seattle who is notorius for leading the league in DROPS the last 3 seasons.

Listener

Ah, yes, but:

a.  This is his first season with Seattle.
b.  In extremely limited playing time, he's caught two TDs already.
c.  He's not Darrell Jackson or Koren Robinson.

'nuff said.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Listener on October 07, 2005, 01:53:55 PM
Ah, yes, but:

a.  This is his first season with Seattle.
b.  In extremely limited playing time, he's caught two TDs already.
c.  He's not Darrell Jackson or Koren Robinson.

'nuff said.

He hasn't exactly been what anyone would describe as "prolific" at any stage of his career since college.

Listener

Did I really type "'nuff said"?  Jeez.

Anyway, you're right, but I say he'll go for at least 50 yards and a score.

VikingJuice

I stand corrected.  Joe J had almost 10 catches for 130something and a TD.  I didn't realize, when we were talking, that Engram and Jackson were both sitting for the next 3 and 4 weeks respectively.  That basically puts Joe J as the #1 guy for the next month or so.

Listener

Quote from: vikingjuice on October 09, 2005, 06:01:38 PM
I stand corrected.  Joe J had almost 10 catches for 130something and a TD.  I didn't realize, when we were talking, that Engram and Jackson were both sitting for the next 3 and 4 weeks respectively.  That basically puts Joe J as the #1 guy for the next month or so.

...aaaaaaaaaaand that's why I played him.

Of course, in my fraternity league, I played Donte Stallworth, who had a DISMAL game, and Robert Ferguson rode the pine but got a TD and a bunch of yards.

Right now, it's 84-76 in my favor.  My team is done for the week, and he has Byron Leftwich playing tonight.  We'll see what happenes as the evening progresses, but I predict another loss for me.

*shrug*