News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Tom Robbins

Started by Alice, September 28, 2005, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I started reading my first book by him last night. 

He is irritating the hell out of me.  He won't stop using similes and metaphors - I mean, they're great literary tools and all but KNOCK IT THE FUCK OFF.  Why does he need 4 similes in every paragraph?  Does he get any better?  Is his plot and character development worth wading through his masturbatory style?

Beefy

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 28, 2005, 09:04:25 AM

He is irritating the hell out of me.  He won't stop using similes and metaphors - I mean, they're great literary tools and all but KNOCK IT THE FUCK OFF.  Why does he need 4 similes in every paragraph?  Does he get any better?  Is his plot and character development worth wading through his masturbatory style?

I really, really like you.

I can't stand his writing style. It makes me wish that I could cut his heart out with a wooden spoon.

Alice

Beefy

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 28, 2005, 09:09:53 AM
Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 09:06:24 AM
Which are you reading?

Still Life With Woodpecker.

Stop reading now.  Your frustration will just grow.

Alice

Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 28, 2005, 09:09:53 AM
Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 09:06:24 AM
Which are you reading?

Still Life With Woodpecker.

Stop reading now.  Your frustration will just grow.
Okay - thank you.

I will toss it on the shelf and start reading one of the other many books I got at the Great American Yard Sale for $.25.  ;D

Alice

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on September 28, 2005, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 28, 2005, 09:04:25 AM

I really, really like you.

I can't stand his writing style. It makes me wish that I could cut his heart out with a wooden spoon.
Lets go find out where he lives.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

I tried to read 'Jitterbug Perfume' and had to give up when he used the line "cum-slicked lips"

Beefy

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on September 28, 2005, 09:14:04 AM
I tried to read 'Jitterbug Perfume' and had to give up when he used the line "cum-slicked lips"

Too close to home?   ;)

Alice

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on September 28, 2005, 09:14:04 AM
I put it down last night when he said that some guys pace-maker sounded like the sleighbells on Mrs. Claus' dildo.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

I think he also did another one that was a super-secret spy who was suave, self-confident AND a computer whiz.

Got ten pages in and was like, "Well now...that was certainly tacked on."

SockmonkeyHolocaust

It's like the man's writing is the Siegfried Line of bad prose.

Listener

Stuff like this generally happens when a writer has a passable plot that the editor thinks will sell, and it goes back to the writer with a note akin to "flesh it out some more".  Extra descriptions get tacked on.  Either that, or the writer adds a subplot that really means nothing to the story and only obliquely ties in at the end, like in Ilsa J Bick's "Well of Souls".

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Listener on September 28, 2005, 10:54:05 AM
Stuff like this generally happens when a writer has a passable plot that the editor thinks will sell, and it goes back to the writer with a note akin to "flesh it out some more".  Extra descriptions get tacked on.  Either that, or the writer adds a subplot that really means nothing to the story and only obliquely ties in at the end, like in Ilsa J Bick's "Well of Souls".

I could swallow that if I hadn't read other books by him and realized that he isn't a very good writer. Dickens used to get paid by the word and he wasn't as horribly verbose.

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.