News:

A child can go only so far in life without potty training. It is not mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.

Main Menu

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Started by Listener, September 22, 2005, 10:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Has anyone read this?  Does it get faster at some point?  Because it's a really long book, and while it's interesting, the "social satire" aspect is getting a little tiresome.

No spoilers needed.  Just opinions.

Jessie

My opinion is that I've never heard of it.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

nishi

i started it - frankly, it's one of the only books i've ever liked... but stopped reading. i don't think i made it quite halfway, and i haven't had the heart to start over. i suspect i won't.

another book that has fallen into that category was Instance of the Fingerpost. by the time i finally finished it, it was good and quite intriguing, but..... i don't know. i was within pages of ending the thing and it sat on my nightstand for about 3 weeks which never happens.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dc

I liked it.  I viewed it as a pseudo-historical novel rather than looking for social commentary, though.

However, I didn't read it.  I listened to the unabridged audio version of it because Simon Prebble was the reader.  He's one of the few narrators who will make me listen to the book rather than read it.

Alice

eo000

Quote from: dc on September 22, 2005, 12:52:46 PM
I liked it.  I viewed it as a pseudo-historical novel rather than looking for social commentary, though.

However, I didn't read it.  I listened to the unabridged audio version of it because Simon Prebble was the reader.  He's one of the few narrators who will make me listen to the book rather than read it.

that's how i am with joan rivers and fran dresher

Listener

Quote from: dc on September 22, 2005, 12:52:46 PM

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling (pseudo-historical).  However, reading some of the reviews, they draw parallels to Jane Austen's social satire in her novels.  The whole thing with Drawlight trying to get Norrell into polite society and all...

Just tell me if it speeds up.  It's plodding quite a bit.  Much like the first 200 or so pages of Harry Potter 6.