Beefy

Permissum Vestri Complector Rector Vos

:wtf:

meredith

Quote from: Beefy on May 18, 2006, 09:31:30 AM
Permissum Vestri Complector Rector Vos

:wtf:

Permissum

permitto permissi permissum : to allow, permit, let.

Vestri
your

Complector
compass (from complectus - to guide)

Rector
from regere - to lead straight, guide, rule.. but i think this is "ruler" as in one who rules. of course the verb is what fits.

Vos
you

we both know someone who studied latin in school and she could probably look up the roots, and conjugate and nounify better than this

meredith

youph just let me know that "let your compass guide you" is the name of the site

you silly lost junkies!  :P

Beefy

Ever since I upgraded Quicktime on my workstation to QT7, no movies and most flash doesn't work, so I can't go and click around the sites to find out what has been unlocked.   >:(

Bishamonten

Just watched last nights episode.  Jesus, I practicaly screamed at the television!  "SOMEONE FIGURE IT THE FUCK OUT!"  I couldn't believe Sawyer and Kate were so easily snowed.

Season finale predictions:

Micheal dies.  Frankly, there's no way to really reconcile what he did unless he decides to keep it a secret the rest of the time - which, to me, would be a smart move for the writers to pull.  But, in the end, I don't think they're that brave. 

Sayid and Jin take the sail boat across the island and act as "back up" for Jack/Sawyer/Kate/Hurley/Micheal. 

Beefy

My predictions:

They will wrap up the one major storyline from this season that hasn't been reconciled/dealt with (the trailer for next week pretty much confirms this).  It is also possible that they will reconcile the Libby/Hurley connection.

Also, a few more details will be exposed, leading to a larger mystery that will rear its head just as the episode ends.

dc

Quote from: Beefy on May 18, 2006, 01:27:43 PM
My predictions:

They will wrap up the one major storyline from this season that hasn't been reconciled/dealt with (the trailer for next week pretty much confirms this).  It is also possible that they will reconcile the Libby/Hurley connection.

Also, a few more details will be exposed, leading to a larger mystery that will rear its head just as the episode ends.

My prediction is that Mr. Rourke and Tattoo show up to kick them off the island because their check bounced.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on May 18, 2006, 01:27:43 PM
leading to a larger mystery that will rear its head just as the episode ends.

Naturally

meredith

Bishamonten

If Locke, Eko and Desmond are dead, my interest in the show is going to take a heavy dive.

eo000

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 25, 2006, 10:15:00 AM
If Locke, Eko and Desmond are dead, my interest in the show is going to take a heavy dive.
at least brother justin was on last night.

Beefy

Agreed, but as with all tv shows, no dead body = no dead people.

Also, I think they opened up the possibility of being on Atlantis or a similar type island last night.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on May 25, 2006, 10:28:38 AM

Also, I think they opened up the possibility of being on Atlantis or a similar type island last night.

How so?

meredith

Airplanes are very intentionally made with as little ferrous metal (responsive to magnetism) as possible due to travelling through enough of the earth's magnetic field to temporarily magnetize parts, disruption of controls, and weight.  They are mostly aluminum, and I have a hard time believing there would be enough force to pull down a jet.  Since the magnetic force is radial, the amount of force applied to an object far away from the source goes down exponentially.  I didn't see the episode -- could someone describe the force applied to metals nearby? Like the necklace floating outward but not breaking, or stuff flying out of people's hands and junk flying around, or like a catastrophic OMG METAL FLYING EVERYWHERE?

meredith

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 25, 2006, 10:35:11 AM

How so?

You didn't see Plato making s'mores with everyone else around the campfire?!

Bishamonten

Quote from: hattmoward on May 25, 2006, 10:35:19 AM
Airplanes are very intentionally made with as little ferrous metal (responsive to magnetism) as possible due to travelling through enough of the earth's magnetic field to temporarily magnetize parts, disruption of controls, and weight.  They are mostly aluminum, and I have a hard time believing there would be enough force to pull down a jet.  Since the magnetic force is radial, the amount of force applied to an object far away from the source goes down exponentially.  I didn't see the episode -- could someone describe the force applied to metals nearby? Like the necklace floating outward but not breaking, or stuff flying out of people's hands and junk flying around, or like a catastrophic OMG METAL FLYING EVERYWHERE?

During the big event metal was flying everywhere.  It was explained that every 108 minutes electromagnetism builds up and has to be released through the key press.  No way was it pulling the plane down.  I'd say it was an EMP but if that's the case, Hurleys CD player must have been in a faraday cage!

meredith

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 25, 2006, 10:37:30 AM

During the big event metal was flying everywhere.  It was explained that every 108 minutes electromagnetism builds up and has to be released through the key press.  No way was it pulling the plane down.  I'd say it was an EMP but if that's the case, Hurleys CD player must have been in a faraday cage!

Shouldn't we be sticking to tiny text?

that's just weird, though.  should we get into the "why cant it be automated anyway?" questions?  or the "what kind of system requires EM to be 'dissipated' every x minutes?"  i still feel like the writers are only like a half-step ahead of us... or less.

Bishamonten

Quote from: hattmoward on May 25, 2006, 10:46:37 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on May 25, 2006, 10:37:30 AM

During the big event metal was flying everywhere.  It was explained that every 108 minutes electromagnetism builds up and has to be released through the key press.  No way was it pulling the plane down.  I'd say it was an EMP but if that's the case, Hurleys CD player must have been in a faraday cage!

Shouldn't we be sticking to tiny text?

that's just weird, though.  should we get into the "why cant it be automated anyway?" questions?  or the "what kind of system requires EM to be 'dissipated' every x minutes?"  i still feel like the writers are only like a half-step ahead of us... or less.

When you have actors like Terry O'Quinn, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Daniel Day Kim, and Jorge Garcia, you really need top writers.  That's not something Lost has.

Beefy

How so?

I don't have the time at the moment to write it all out, but I will later.  Think hidden island + electromagnetic fields + ruins + statue foot.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on May 25, 2006, 12:20:45 PM

How so?

I don't have the time at the moment to write it all out, but I will later.  Think hidden island + electromagnetic fields + ruins + statue foot.

I dunno.  I'm not sure I'd dig the idea of them being on Atlantis.  The show is already overly mystical without showing a fabled city into it. 

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 25, 2006, 12:35:35 PM
Quote from: Beefy on May 25, 2006, 12:20:45 PM

How so?

I dunno.  I'm not sure I'd dig the idea of them being on Atlantis.  The show is already overly mystical without showing a fabled city into it. 

On one hand, I agree.  OTOH, I think it sort of makes sense.  The faith healer from several episodes back spoke of places with specific electromagnetic qualities taht lend themselves towards unusual phenomenon, including healing.  The island seems to be one, and Dharma seems to have moved in to exploit and experiment with those properties.  Now, Atlantis is the lost island because no one could find it.  What if the reason no one could ever find it was because the electromagnetic field from the island would lead people away from it all of the time?  They showed that statue foot last night for a reason.  It looked to be a Greek style sandal, which meshes with some Atlantean lore.  Also, Atlantis is fabled to have been brought down by a volcano, which there may very well be on the island.

It's all just conjecture and a product of my mind working overtime on last night's episode, but I think that foot along with the ruins of the window over the fake Others camp point to an old civilization on the island, and it could be something similar to Atlantis. 

Or it could all be a red herring.  I dunno.  It's fun to think about.

Dry then Catch

eff tiny text. 
no one who isn't caught up should be reading this, much like I avoided this thread like the plague for 4 months.  Now I am here..

anyway just in case

space

More Resources
hanso website collobration
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=e8b12d0572ef4b4da1728cfdc5b260ea&threadid=1867032

last ep play by play  (very long)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=e8b12d0572ef4b4da1728cfdc5b260ea&threadid=1883886

season 2 info and season 3 speculation
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=e8b12d0572ef4b4da1728cfdc5b260ea&threadid=1884620

space

space

Locke and Charlie have really turned into pricks.  Why did Claire suddenly like Charlie again?  ITS A DEMON CHILD. 
I was upset Sawyer didnt' come up with any snappy nicknames this episode. 
I think Walt is a clone.  The real Walt will use his DEATH POWER and Hurley's BALCONY STOMP to save them.

Listener

Desmond.  Crashed.  The.  Plane.  That was my holy shit moment for the evening.

I figured it out when he started reading through the printouts Locke brought back to the hatch.

I think the first coda (with Claire & Charlie) was completely silly.  And after 65 days, where the hell is she getting all this lipstick?

I just figured out where I recognized Penelope from:  she was Charlie's British flame from an episode of Numb3rs.

That last bit, with the monitoring station, was interesting, but it seems to indicate that the show will end next season once Penelope figures out where the island is.

That statue?  Naveen Andrews played that line PERFECTLY.

Just by watching Daniel Dae Kim, I get the feeling he can't WAIT for his character to learn English.

When Tom removed his fake beard, I suddenly just KNEW that Henry was the leader of The Others, even before we saw him.

We haven't seen the Monster in a while.  We know what it looks like now.  But when are we going to find out what it is and where it comes from?

And finally... the gigantic pile of used canisters... wow.

Beefy

Quote from: Listener on May 30, 2006, 07:51:32 AM
Desmond.  Crashed.  The.  Plane.  That was my holy shit moment for the evening.

But it still doesn't address how everyone on the plane was already interrelated.

QuoteThat last bit, with the monitoring station, was interesting, but it seems to indicate that the show will end next season once Penelope figures out where the island is.

Now that I've had some time to stew on it, this is the thing that bothers me most.  We now have action taking place off the island in present time.  That removes some of the mystery and sense of being, well, lost.  It grounds us back on Earth.  I dunno, it took some of the mystique away for me.

QuoteWe haven't seen the Monster in a while.  We know what it looks like now.  But when are we going to find out what it is and where it comes from?

I've grown to think that the "monster" is a tool, used at specific times for specific purposes.

Dry then Catch

i thought it was pretty clear that the monster is an advanced security system set up by Dharma.