News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

Re-reading books

Started by Beef, September 12, 2005, 11:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

I suck at reading books, which is strange.  I love reading.  I love the English language and I love storytelling.  I love books.  And yet, when it comes to the act of reading, I find it very difficult to get started or maintain throughout.  So, then, I can say state that I never re-read books.  I've re-read some graphic novels and trade paperbacks.  I used to re-read books when I was young (Tales of a Fourth Grade nothing like 70 bazillion times).  But since I've gotten older, nada.

So, I've been wondering what I would choose to re-read if I were to re-read something.  I think it came to me over the weekend, while I was revisiting some Clive Barker movies (Lord of Illusion, Nightbreed, and Hellraiser 2, to be exact).  If I do re-read something, which is appearing more likely now that I have made up my mind, it will be very likely be The Great and Secret Show.  Harry D'Amour is a character in dire need of revisiting.

I'd also re-read Jim The Boy.

What do you/would you re-read?

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

The Thief of Always - oddly enough.  I read it about once a month.

meredith

Did you finish that Harry Potter book yet?  :)

Dry then Catch

Nine Stories,
There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom.
alt.reading.erotica.puppets

Beefy

Gamplayerx

The Talisman
The Stand
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books

meredith

Quote from: Beefy on September 12, 2005, 11:23:06 AM
Quote from: hattmoward on September 12, 2005, 11:18:57 AM
Did you finish that Harry Potter book yet?  :)

Still on page 200.

Excellent.  I have a copy of Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut that I got a few chapters into, and haven't touched since.  I blew dust off the cover last week. :)

cnamon

I re-read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil about 3 times.  I re-read a lot of books.  But I am currently trying to get through All The President's Men for the first time.

Jessie

I started re-reading A Tale of Two Cities last night.

I've read To Kill a Mockingbird several times.

Speaking of graphic novels...Timothy and I were in B&N on Friday and his eyes lit up when he stumbled upon the graphic novel section.  He is such a nerd.

He just read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.  I'd tried and tried to get him to read that series, and now he's hooked.

When I asked what he wanted for Christmas, he said, "Just books."

I love him.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on September 12, 2005, 11:41:43 AM

Speaking of graphic novels...Timothy and I were in B&N on Friday and his eyes lit up when he stumbled upon the graphic novel section.  He is such a nerd.

He just read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.  I'd tried and tried to get him to read that series, and now he's hooked.

I love him.

You ever want graphic novel suggestions for young readers you let me know.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on September 12, 2005, 11:43:00 AM

I love him.

Sure.  I thought they were all full of sex and violence.

Of course, this could be because my only knowledge of them comes from watching Sin City.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on September 12, 2005, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Beefy on September 12, 2005, 11:43:00 AM

I love him.

Sure.  I thought they were all full of sex and violence.

Of course, this could be because my only knowledge of them comes from watching Sin City.

Point taken.  No Anal Nun books for Timothy.

ignom

I used to reread books a lot. Now I have trouble reading anything old or new.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Listener

I am an extremely fast reader.  I got through Harry Potter 5 in four hours, and Harry Potter 6 in a little under 3.5.

I re-read almost every book I like more than just a little.  I have re-read some books more than 15 or 20 times.  My copy of Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures is falling apart from use.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: ignom on September 12, 2005, 11:54:51 AM
I used to reread books a lot. Now I have trouble reading anything old or new.

do you have trouble reading anything sometimes

BigDun

I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings about every year when I was a teenager. Now the only author I can remember re-reading is some of Neal Stephenson's books.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

Quote from: BigDun on September 12, 2005, 05:30:06 PM
I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings about every year when I was a teenager. Now the only author I can remember re-reading is some of Neal Stephenson's books.

:)  I just finished the pig truck section of Cryptonomicon this morning.   ;D  I think I've read that book about 15 times.  I just love it.

Other books I enjoy re-reading are Amistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" books, Carl Hiassen, Tony Horwitz and Raymond Chandler.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

meredith

I never re-read simply because I enjoyed a book.  I re-read books that I enjoyed but can no longer remember the details of.

Jessie

Quote from: hattmoward on September 12, 2005, 05:58:39 PM
I never re-read simply because I enjoyed a book.  I re-read books that I enjoyed but can no longer remember the details of.

Are two little boys about to kiss in your avatar?

ignom

Quote from: Jessie on September 13, 2005, 03:11:55 PM

Are we seeing the same avatar?

ignom

Now he changed it again anyway.

Jessie

Quote from: ignom on September 13, 2005, 03:17:00 PM
Quote from: Jessie on September 13, 2005, 03:11:55 PM

Are we seeing the same avatar?

It's zombie Matt now.  He's sneaky, that one.

sugar_grrl

The Great Gatsby...or some other literary classic that I read when I didn't care enough to pay attention....

My biggest problem is buying a whole shitton of books...I read them, but not as fast as I buy them....I'm having deja vu....did I say allathis before?
Have you ever seen a llama kiss a llama on the llama?

meredith

You people haven't noticed that my avatar changes every time you load a new page?

The pic you're asking about, Jessie, is from the video for Take On Me.  I believe you've heard of my interest in that song. :)

dazie

Quote from: hattmoward on September 13, 2005, 03:59:14 PM
You people haven't noticed that my avatar changes every time you load a new page?

The pic you're asking about, Jessie, is from the video for Take On Me.  I believe you've heard of my interest in that song. :)

Your avatar is for the ADD crowd.

Wanna ride bikes?

meredith

You know that's the last ride I expected you to offer me.

LETS GO!  I still have training wheels, is that okay?

Jessie

*giggle*

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on September 13, 2005, 05:20:50 PM

Wanna ride bikes?

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons or Attention Deficit Disorder?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

dazie

Quote from: Marixis on September 14, 2005, 09:29:29 AM
Quote from: dazie on September 13, 2005, 05:20:50 PM

Wanna ride bikes?

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons or Attention Deficit Disorder?

The latter.

Jessie

Quote from: Jessie on September 14, 2005, 09:24:21 AM

*giggle*

How freaky.  This was the last thing I posted before leaving for the post office.  Guess what was on the radio when I got in the car!?!?!

ignom

Quote from: Jessie on September 14, 2005, 10:20:25 AM

*giggle*

How freaky.  This was the last thing I posted before leaving for the post office.  Guess what was on the radio when I got in the car!?!?!

2 Legit 2 Quit

Jessie

Quote from: ignom on September 14, 2005, 10:23:36 AM
Quote from: Jessie on September 14, 2005, 10:20:25 AM

*giggle*

2 Legit 2 Quit
YES!  How freaky is that??

Jessie

I'm about 100 pages into A Tale of Two Cities.  I really thought that reading this would be a struggle, or that I would get bored with it.  I'm surprised that I want to read it every day, and don't want to put it down to go to sleep.  Unfortunately I've been too busy to read much in the past week, but I plan on changing that this weekend.  I'm REALLY enjoying re-reading this book.

alexanderthesoso

i re read every book i like.  how often i reread is an indicator. i have a few series on perpetual cycly.  the robert asprin books, the ramond feist magician books, asimov, those series get reread about every 2-3 years.