News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

Eat, Pray, Love

Started by dazie, August 18, 2010, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Not bad.  Visually gorgeous, filled with seriously attractive people. 

It was like the book in visual Cliff Notes version, just touched on what the screenwriter deemed to be the highlights.  As with most adaptions-from-novels, I think they missed some good parts.

I think Julia Roberts has more teeth than most people. 

My friend Jonathan cried.  I didn't. 
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Jessie

Something about that movie and all the hype about it just ...ugh.  It's turned me off completely.

BigDun

Quote from: dazie on August 18, 2010, 10:27:17 PM
Not bad.  Visually gorgeous, filled with seriously attractive people. 

It was like the book in visual Cliff Notes version, just touched on what the screenwriter deemed to be the highlights.  As with most adaptions-from-novels, I think they missed some good parts.

I think Julia Roberts has more teeth than most people. 

My friend Jonathan cried.  I didn't. 

Your friend Jonathan is gay. Just FYI.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

Quote from: Jessie on August 18, 2010, 11:55:48 PM
Something about that movie and all the hype about it just ...ugh.  It's turned me off completely.

Like the 72 hours of ELP crap they sold on Home Shopping Network?

/yes, I watch Jon Stewart

swolt

I won't watch Julia Roberts movies. I don't like her. And I have a good reason why.

When I was growing up she was hot. And she seemed smart. And I don't want to get too graphic, but let's just say she made good masturbation material.

Then she went and married Lyle Lovett. Lyle Lovett is so ugly you just can't not look at a picture of him in a magazine rack at the store. It's like a train wreck or a pimp choking a ho, you just have to watch.

So there I am, age 13, trying to get my Pretty Woman on (or off, if you prefer) and BAM, Lyle Lovett. Picture Lyle Lovett in your mind. Now try to think of something else. It can't be done, once he's in there he won't leave.

So long story short, I hate, yet am strangely aroused, by country music
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

CreepyMonkey

Quote from: swolt on August 19, 2010, 07:16:34 AM
I won't watch Julia Roberts movies. I don't like her. And I have a good reason why.

When I was growing up she was hot. And she seemed smart. And I don't want to get too graphic, but let's just say she made good masturbation material.

Then she went and married Lyle Lovett. Lyle Lovett is so ugly you just can't not look at a picture of him in a magazine rack at the store. It's like a train wreck or a pimp choking a ho, you just have to watch.

So there I am, age 13, trying to get my Pretty Woman on (or off, if you prefer) and BAM, Lyle Lovett. Picture Lyle Lovett in your mind. Now try to think of something else. It can't be done, once he's in there he won't leave.

...and the next thing you know, I'm murdering hobo's down by the river and collecting their ears for my human ear necklace. Hence I hate Julia Roberts.

Bitch.
What the hell is this space used for?

Beefy

I read a funny review from a male that basically said that, as presented, Julia's character was a rotten, selfish b*tch who had no character arc and was still a rotten, selfish b*tch at the end.  The people in her life that were supposedly keeping her down or making her incomplete were, as presented, decent people, and that she was immature and selfish for just running away form things and trying to avoid resolving aspects of her life like an adult.

Sounds great.

dazie

I read those reviews too, and to be honest- the character does come across like that sometimes, which is a pity.  Like I said- they only touched on the "highlights" of the book and didn't really get in to what she was feeling.  Obviously if they don't go in to more detail about her marriage breaking up than "oh my husband is kind of a flake" then the character isn't going to have the same gravitas as she did in the book.

I've been mostly unaware of all the hype surrounding the movie, but I did register to win a trip from Cost Plus.  :)

Jonathan is mostly straight, but yeah.  ;)

Gamplayerx

I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet.  A friend pressed it on me a couple of years ago (and has been bugging me ever since so we can totally discuss it and analyze it and drink wine (I'm down with the wine part)), but I haven't been able to make myself crack the cover.

dazie

It's pretty good actually.  Not "great literature" by any stretch, but it made me start thinking about what I find acceptable or not, and rethink how I'm living.

And I want to go to Bali.  But that's a ways down the road.  ;)

grace

Quote from: swolt on August 19, 2010, 07:16:34 AM

lovett is one strange excuse for country and they were the oddest couple. something about zac brown band strangely turns me on? same about ry cooder? have no clue why.

Jessie

It does seem that this is one of those books that women who don't read try to pass off as a great work of literature.

I've never read it, so maybe I shouldn't judge it, but ... well, I'm like that.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on August 19, 2010, 08:23:51 PM
It does seem that this is one of those books that women who don't read try to pass off as a great work of literature.

ye gads.  I can totally see my old book club reading this and saying exactly that.  This is the book club who never read the books (unless they were Harry Potter or Nicolas Sparks) because there just "wasn't any time."  But did you see what was on American Idol last night?  *squeeeee!*

:barfy:

dc

You mean like Twilight?

dazie

Quote from: dc on August 19, 2010, 09:01:01 PM

You mean like Twilight?

As a matter of fact, one of the book club members actually WENT to Forks, Washington.  On purpose.  To do the whole "Twihard" thing. 

:-X

(I must say- I like the fact that we have so many emoticons to choose from that show disgust or illness)

dc

Quote from: dazie on August 19, 2010, 09:06:08 PM
Quote from: dc on August 19, 2010, 09:01:01 PM

You mean like Twilight?

As a matter of fact, one of the book club members actually WENT to Forks, Washington.  On purpose.  To do the whole "Twihard" thing. 

:-X

(I must say- I like the fact that we have so many emoticons to choose from that show disgust or illness)

I was still at the bookstore when that came out.  We thought it was crap.  Children and Young Adult books had been advancing in complexity and authorship at a good pace, and all of the sudden shit like Twilight began to appear. 

Kind of disappointing. 

There was a door open there, and this shit came along and closed it, and we're back to nonsense coming out.  Except now it's worse, because it's now acceptable for adults to swoon over the crap they publish for the YA market.

VikingJuice

I want to see it for the cinematography but fear I won't be able to hold down my vomit for the whiny plot.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 19, 2010, 10:26:26 AM
I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet.  A friend pressed it on me a couple of years ago (and has been bugging me ever since so we can totally discuss it and analyze it and drink wine (I'm down with the wine part)), but I haven't been able to make myself crack the cover.
I've read the Eat part now.

dazie

Quote from: VikingJuice on September 26, 2010, 12:25:05 PM
I want to see it for the cinematography but fear I won't be able to hold down my vomit for the whiny plot.

It wasn't whiny so much as shallow.  Not that she's a shallow character, just that they didn't take the time/effort to dive deeper in to the character, so a lot of it comes off like bumper sticker logic.

Or did you mean Twilight?  Cuz that sucks. 

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on September 26, 2010, 10:42:08 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on September 26, 2010, 12:25:05 PM

It wasn't whiny so much as shallow.  Not that she's a shallow character, just that they didn't take the time/effort to dive deeper in to the character, so a lot of it comes off like bumper sticker logic.

Or did you mean Twilight?  Cuz that sucks. 

Twilight = Teh Suck.  I won't even waste my netflix dollars on that.