News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Ian Fleming's James Bond

Started by Listener, August 31, 2005, 03:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Has anyone read the Ian Fleming James Bond books?  I'm tempted to put them on my Amazon wishlist but I don't want to if they turn out to suck.

Can anyone compare them to another author?  Preferably a sci-fi author's writing style?

ignom

I bet they were a lot better in the 50s and 60s than they would be today.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ursus

I tried "Diamonds are Forever" once. I couldn't get past his spellings of American colloquialisms. Honh for Huh, and the like.
I was just wondering...

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Listener

Quote from: ursus on August 31, 2005, 09:19:33 PM
I tried "Diamonds are Forever" once. I couldn't get past his spellings of American colloquialisms. Honh for Huh, and the like.

I read a lot of british and australian fic, though, so I'd probably be okay with that.  I hear they move kind of slow (pacing wise) and that bond is dour and grumpy, like Timothy Dalton.  But the latter is okay.

Beefy

Listener

Quote from: Beefy on September 01, 2005, 10:53:57 AM
I liked Timothy Dalton as Bond.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My favorite of the Bond films is still Goldeneye, though.  It had its flaws, but it was really, really enjoyable.  And we all loved the scene where Boris is clicking the pen, and we're trying to count whether or not the bomb is armed.

Beefy

I like Thunderball.  And Octopussy.

DownSouth

Quote from: Listener on September 01, 2005, 10:55:37 AM

My favorite of the Bond films is still Goldeneye, though.  It had its flaws, but it was really, really enjoyable.  And we all loved the scene where Boris is clicking the pen, and we're trying to count whether or not the bomb is armed.
I love Goldeneye.  The game was fun too.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Listener

Quote from: DownSouth on September 01, 2005, 11:05:55 AM
Quote from: Listener on September 01, 2005, 10:55:37 AM

I love Goldeneye.  The game was fun too.

I basically enjoyed all of the Bond films at about a $8 (out of $10) level or higher, with Goldeneye being the highest at $9.75.  Except Never Say Never Again -- the one with Kim Basinger that was a remake.

cnamon

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

DownSouth

My second favorite is Licence to Kill.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

ursus

Sean is going to kick your ass, and I don't know what else... but your mother's a whore, ya montebank!
I was just wondering...

dazie

1.  Connery
2.  Brosnan
3.  Lazenby
4.  Dalton
5.  Dead people
6.  GWB
7.  My dog
8.  Moore

The penis mightier.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?