News:

40,000th post goes to Gamp!  Happy birthday!

Main Menu

Once again, late to the party

Started by dazie, April 18, 2010, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Did we have a Sherlock Holmes discussion already?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988045/

Watched it tonight since I got it on sale at Hastings the other day.  (I never EVER find anything at Hastings, so this was a pleasant surprise.)

I really liked it, although I'm going to have to watch it about 4 more times before I figure out wtf they were saying.  Robert Downey Jr. either mumbles or races through some of his lines so I had a hard time understanding him.

It's too bad Jude Law appears to be such a douche in real life.  I really like him in this, and have liked him in some of his other movies too.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on April 18, 2010, 09:09:34 PM

Watched it tonight since I got it on sale at Hastings the other day.  (I never EVER find anything at Hastings, so this was a pleasant surprise.)

I really liked it, although I'm going to have to watch it about 4 more times before I figure out wtf they were saying.  Robert Downey Jr. either mumbles or races through some of his lines so I had a hard time understanding him.

It's too bad Jude Law appears to be such a douche in real life.  I really like him in this, and have liked him in some of his other movies too.

You'd like Talented Mr. Ripley then.  He shows waaaay too much frontal dongage.  I could have done without all that.

dazie

hmm.  As fond as I am of "frontal dongage" and believe me- I am, I don't usually formulate my movie reviews based on just that.

Unless of course, the movie happens to be "Frontal Dongage 3- The Anal Frontier"

Then it's all dongage reviews, all the time.   :rock:

(but thanks for the tip, no pun intended)

swolt

Quote from: dazie on April 18, 2010, 09:09:34 PM

Then why do you shop there? BURN!

It was a good movie, I liked it
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Beefy

I saw it over the weekend.  I thought it was completely unexceptional in every way.  However, I do agree that Law stood out.  I wish the movie had been more about Watson.

dazie

I liked the camera work- the slow motion and the "replay" of parts.  I kind of feel like Downey phoned most of the movie in, but I can forgive him this one.  :)

Beefy

One of the most lauded unproduced screenplays of the past few decades pitted Sherlock Holmes against Dracula.  It was highly agreed that it was of the level of the original ROTLA script.  For one reason or another, it never got made.  Wish it had before this one.  Now it definitely won't.

They say Brad Pitt might play Moriarty (sp?) in the next film.

dazie

I've read that rumor as well.  I could go for that.  I'm increasingly impressed with his acting chops.  He's moved beyond just another pretty face.

Do you know if there's a timeline for a sequel?

Beefy

RDJ apparently turned down shooting Cowboys and Aliens to work on Sherlock 2, so I would guess we'll see it next year.

dazie

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on April 19, 2010, 11:00:48 AM
I've read that rumor as well.  I could go for that.  I'm increasingly impressed with his acting chops.  He's moved beyond just another pretty face.

Do you know if there's a timeline for a sequel?
I agree with this.  This is one of those times when I have to begrudgingly give Jason (ignom, not DS) credit with being right about something.  He was saying how smart and great Brad Pitt was years ago, and I still thought he was just a pretty boy.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Bennyhana

Brad Pitt is a very good actor, and has been for a long time. 

I'd rather saw my nuts off with a grapefruit spoon than pay money to see an ACTION movie about sherlock holmes. 

dazie

Quote from: Bennyhana on April 23, 2010, 09:58:13 AM

I'd rather saw my nuts off with a grapefruit spoon than pay money to see an ACTION movie about sherlock holmes. 

Come on over to the house.  You can watch it for free.

Bennyhana

Quote from: dazie on April 23, 2010, 10:25:54 AM

<strokes beard thoughtfully>  Do you have grapefruit spoons?

dazie

Quote from: Bennyhana on April 23, 2010, 11:04:31 AM
Quote from: dazie on April 23, 2010, 10:25:54 AM

<strokes beard thoughtfully>  Do you have grapefruit spoons?

No.  But my mom does.  I could ask her to send me one.