Main Menu

Family Gumbo Recipe

Started by VikingJuice, February 27, 2010, 07:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

Quote from: BigDun on March 19, 2010, 08:46:57 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on March 19, 2010, 07:31:15 PM
Quote from: swolt on March 19, 2010, 01:08:12 PM
The Gumbo is still cooking but I got a taste.

HO. LY. SHIT. This is good stuff. Like really good. Like I might cancel poker night just so I can eat it all myself.

I couldn't find roux in a can so I got the powder mix and it seems to be just as good. Also I don't like bell peppers so I left those out. And I couldn't find white pepper so I used Cheyenne instead.

Next time, this is the container you should be looking for.  Kroger's carries it and I know they have those in Louisiana.  Look for it in the seasonings section of the store.  At my store, it's on the top shelf above where you normally would look.

Glad you liked the recipe.  Modification is always the name of the game when it comes to personalizing a recipe.  I'm not a bell pepper fan either but I've found that if I use the pre-packaged/pre-cut bell pepper/celery/onion packs in the frozen food section, you can't taste the bell pepper itself but it sure makes a nice little accent in the overall flavor.

I making it again tomorrow night for a date.  At my place.  This will be date number 5.  Things are going well so far. 

I've got a nice bottle of wine picked out to compliment the gumbo flavors and heat.  I'm going with a Dry Riesling.  It's light, fruity, a touch of pear and citrus, medium acidity, and gently sweet on the edges of your tongue but not so much that overpowers you.  Many Rieslings are like pure syrup, this one will never be confused with that description.

Try the Chateau St. Michelle Riesling. It is a semi-sweet wine, but has pepper overtones that make it awesome.

That was one of my first wines to buy and bring home.  It's too sweet for me now.  That's why I lean more towards the Dry Rieslings instead.  Good recommendation though, my date would probably love that flavor.  I'll pick up a bottle of it sometime for her.

Beefy

Quote from: VikingJuice on March 19, 2010, 07:31:15 PM
I making it again tomorrow night for a date.  At my place.  This will be date number 5.  Things are going well so far. 

So how'd it go?

ReBurn

Man I want some gumbo now.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

VikingJuice

The gumbo was great!!  The date was almost as good.  We just hung out watching movies.  We watched an episode of Monk.  Then a movie of 2007 California trip.  Then an episode of MST3K: Space Mutiny (very funny), and then Fletch.  We didn't finish watching Fletch.  :evil:

Beefy