News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

LOST: The Final Season

Started by Beefy, January 23, 2010, 03:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

Quote from: dc on January 25, 2010, 11:30:26 PM
Quote from: Infobahn on January 25, 2010, 09:27:32 PM
I have never seen an episode of LOST.

Go ahead, fuck with me.

Neither have I.  I had to look up who Jacob was to discover that Catchr and Jessie apparently want to throw me into a fire. (Not that it's an uncommon desire among people who know me.)

the main idea being his is a mystical almost godlike character who possibly controlled the place..

eh if you haven't seen lost just watch the first two seasons and read about the rest

Dry then Catch

SO BORING

IM GONNA KILL YOU JACK

swolt

Quote from: Dry then Catch on January 26, 2010, 11:33:01 AM

Go ahead, fuck with me.

Neither have I.  I had to look up who Jacob was to discover that Catchr and Jessie apparently want to throw me into a fire. (Not that it's an uncommon desire among people who know me.)

the main idea being his is a mystical almost godlike character who possibly controlled the place..

eh if you haven't seen lost just watch the first two seasons and read about the rest

That is what I have been doing, and so far I don't think I've missed anything.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Beefy

Quote from: swolt on February 10, 2010, 04:57:28 PM
Quote from: Dry then Catch on January 26, 2010, 11:33:01 AM

Go ahead, fuck with me.

That is what I have been doing, and so far I don't think I've missed anything.

To be fair, ANYTHING can seem boring if you're just reading a synopsis.  It's how the story is told that makes or breaks it.

Gamplayerx

I'm digging it.  Love me a good Lockeness Monster.

Beefy

I haven't watched any of the current season.

THANKS GAMP

eo000

dazie

I still haven't watched any of this show, but a friend of mine suggested I read Jorge's blog. 

Good advice- he's a pretty funny guy.  He'd probably fit in well here.

http://dispatchesfromtheisland.blogspot.com
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Quote from: eo000 on February 18, 2010, 07:51:43 AM
Quote from: Beefy on February 17, 2010, 06:31:08 PM
I haven't watched any of the current season.

THANKS GAMP

Nope.  Haven't seen the first four episodes yet.  My cable box is on the fritz, and I've been too wrapped up in health issues to sit and watch it on the PC.

That said, Gamp didn't really spoil anything.  The people at work took care of that.   :-\

dazie

Completely off topic, but Beefy's animated zombie killing guy is dancing in perfect time to the crazy fiddler music I have going right now.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Well, I know most of the end now.  Still haven't watched anything past episode 2 of this season, though.

Jessie

Imagine my look of disapproval. 
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on April 30, 2010, 05:29:44 PM
Imagine my look of disapproval. 

Imagine that look if I spoiled it for you.

Jessie

Why do you want to make me cry, Steve?

CreepyMonkey

What can I say? This is the show I love to hate and hate to love. Sigh. Simultaneously dread and am relieved that it is finally ending.
What the hell is this space used for?

swolt

So did anyone watch last night? I couldn't help myself and spend the weekend catching up on episodes and reading lostpedia.

It was pretty freaking awesome. It made me happy.

swolt

questions/thoughts:

[spoiler]So, were they dead the whole time, and the island was like purgatory? If so, why the sideways and future flashes? Also, how did Linus and Juliet and the others end up on the island? Were they dead the whole time too?

I think they didn't die in the plane crash, they were alive. It was just as each of them died they went to the sideways flash and Jack was the only one we got to see "in real time" so to speak. As Jack's dad said, "this place has no time" so it doesn't matter when they died.
I think this works better than "They all died in the plane crash and were dead the whole time" theory that everyone I have thus far talked with has said.
If they were already dead than it makes the sacrifices seem pointless. Also it was implied that Hurley and Linus lived for some time after Jack died and ran the island together, which again is pointless if they were dead.

Where the numbers ever explained?

Who was the old chick at the table with Desmond who told him she didn't want him to do this, and he said he was ignoring her? I feel like I missed something there. I did miss several episodes and just read the recaps.

All in all though, a great show with a great ending. [/spoiler]

CreepyMonkey

Quote from: swolt on May 24, 2010, 11:34:58 AM
questions/thoughts:

So, were they dead the whole time, and the island was like purgatory? If so, why the sideways and future flashes? Also, how did Linus and Juliet and the others end up on the island? Were they dead the whole time too?

I think they didn't die in the plane crash, they were alive. It was just as each of them died they went to the sideways flash and Jack was the only one we got to see "in real time" so to speak. As Jack's dad said, "this place has no time" so it doesn't matter when they died.
I think this works better than "They all died in the plane crash and were dead the whole time" theory that everyone I have thus far talked with has said.
If they were already dead than it makes the sacrifices seem pointless. Also it was implied that Hurley and Linus lived for some time after Jack died and ran the island together, which again is pointless if they were dead.

Where the numbers ever explained?

Who was the old chick at the table with Desmond who told him she didn't want him to do this, and he said he was ignoring her? I feel like I missed something there. I did miss several episodes and just read the recaps.

To Swolt- no they were not dead. All events on the island were real and 'live'.

For answers to the purgatory thingie, see below.

The numbers were explained...sort of. They were the code necessary to keep the electromagnetic force from building to an explosive crescendo. As for why they took on some kind of bizarre metaphysical weirdness, that has entirely to do with the person involved. Hurley was a candidate. By his very nature he made the numbers significant. They held no 'magical' power of their own. Same with anyone else that had experience with the numbers.

The old woman sitting with Desmond at the end was a significant character in the series. If you didn't recognize Eloise then you missed quite a few episodes or didn't pay close attention to them. She was in a number of episodes during at least three seasons. some of them as a younger Eloise Hawking, some of them as an older Eloise Hawking. Bottom line is, she was one of the original "others" and also Daniel Farradays mother, and also his murderer, but that's another story...

If you watched carefully, all questions were answered. For those who don't have time, a forewarning, because this will be long.....these answers are not necessarily towards your post Swolt, it was just a convenient way to post this. This is a re-paste from something I pasted for friends on Facebook.

To me, the series was quite clear, the ending quite clear and had little ambiguity. They ended it quite well. Let me start with the simplest things first, the ones that others should have picked up on long ago.

First... I have heard numerous complaints about the polar bears. - Please people. If you'd paid attention, they were being trained to push the wagon wheel that moves the island. I think that was a no brainer but apparently not.

Second - I still hear complaints about the numerous temples, statues, etc. AGAIN, if you were paying attention to the episode "Across the Sea" its totally explained. People from all over the world have been crash landing on this island and have all left their marks before they passed on. End of story. Sheesh.

Mr. Echo - Unfortunately real life interfered with this. The producers would really have liked to included him in this, and he originally had a very large storyline behind him. Unfortunately the ACTOR got himself thrown out of our country never to return. So that made it impossible and I don't think they would have insulted us by using another actor.

Michael - Are you kidding me? He appeared several episodes back. He's dead and on the island. End of story. Sheesh.

Walt - Yes, this was disappointing. The story never got fleshed out like it should because the young actor grew to quickly to make it realistic according to the timeline they had set up. Later on after all the time traveling it had become largely irrelevant. So, a storyline we'll never know what would have become.

The 'flash sideways' = it was nothing of the kind. It was simply a depiction of life after death. It was an artificial construct put together by the minds of the people who had passed away, so they could find one another, because of the love and camaraderie they shared. Some of them died early on, some died later on, but it doesn't matter because this was a place after death that was timeless. I imagine the people who flew off on the plane got off the island, went back to civilization and lived long full lives before passing on and finding themselves in that place, just so they could find their lost loves. It was a kind of limbo where they could gather themselves to go on to the next step, whatever that was.

The Island itself - It was exactly what Jacob explained it to be. It acts as a cork and the island is the meeting place of life and death. It acts as a physical and metaphysical barrier between the realms of life and death. The golden beautiful light is life, the nasty red is death. If they are properly balanced the world goes on as normal, if not, death has sway over the world and the universe turns into a living hell. Desmond had to release the cork in order to turn Jack and MIB/Locke mortal, so that MIB/Locke could be killed. Then after MiB was killed, Jack had to put the cork back in to balance good and evil again and let the world move on as normal.

Any more questions, let me know. I'll be happy to answer them.

Jessie

BigDun

I was really curious about why the actor who played Mr. Echo got thrown out of the country since I remember him as Adebisi on Oz so I did a little digging. From what I found out, he asked to be written out of the show because his parrents had recently died and he had an opportunity to direct a film in England.

Oh, he's also Buddhist and his natural accent is a cockney English.

But thanks for the wrap up. Now I don't feel like I need to watch the last three seasons I gave up on.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

CreepyMonkey

Quote from: BigDun on May 24, 2010, 07:07:54 PM
I was really curious about why the actor who played Mr. Echo got thrown out of the country since I remember him as Adebisi on Oz so I did a little digging. From what I found out, he asked to be written out of the show because his parrents had recently died and he had an opportunity to direct a film in England.

But thanks for the wrap up. Now I don't feel like I need to watch the last three seasons I gave up on.

That was the "official" story to avoid embarrassing him. He had received several DUI's whilst in Hawaii and was going to be thrown out anyway. You could see how that would be embarrassing as he's a "buddhist".

Beefy

Quote from: CreepyMonkey on May 24, 2010, 11:30:52 PM
Quote from: BigDun on May 24, 2010, 07:07:54 PM

That was the "official" story to avoid embarrassing him. He had received several DUI's whilst in Hawaii and was going to be thrown out anyway. You could see how that would be embarrassing as he's a "buddhist".

He was in the G.I. Joe movie.  Yes, I watched it.  Shut up.

pumpkineye