News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

40 year old virgin

Started by eo000, August 19, 2005, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

It was really good. I really liked it.

(sorry about the review being wordier than most, this was probably the funniest movie i've ever seen)

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on August 19, 2005, 10:29:19 PM
It was really good. I really liked it.

(sorry about the review being wordier than most, this was probably the funniest movie i've ever seen)

Here I thought it was the beginning of your autobiography.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

eo000

my autobiography will be much shorter than that review.

Gamplayerx

Is it stupid funny or clever funny?

eo000

both, but more stupid funny.

ursus

I was just wondering...

Beefy

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ursus on August 20, 2005, 08:04:25 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 20, 2005, 06:58:36 AM
Is it stupid funny or clever funny?
???
Stupid funny = slapstick, pratfalls and inanity
Clever funny = wry, dry and witty

Listener

I've seen it.  It was... not bad.  Not great.

It started out as an Anchorman-like screwball comedy, and while it retained a thread of that, it sort of segued into serious "romantic-comedy" territory somewhere along the way, complete with "one member of the couple does something crazy to get the attention of the other."

I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I think they could've found places to trim about 10 minutes or so.  It only dragged slightly -- not as much as I expected a nearly-two-hour-comedy to drag.

Catherine Keener's job provides a good bit of funny, especially if you've ever wondered what goes on in the kind of store she runs.

$6.50/$10.00

ignom

I'll probably go see it next weekend.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Listener

Quote from: ignom on August 21, 2005, 09:04:01 PM

I hadn't really planned to go see it; I just wanted to get out of the house today.

My calendar, however, is already marked for Serenity.

ignom

Quote from: Listener on August 21, 2005, 09:05:52 PM
Quote from: ignom on August 21, 2005, 09:04:01 PM

I hadn't really planned to go see it; I just wanted to get out of the house today.

My calendar, however, is already marked for Serenity.

My calendar is more marked for hey there's a nude chick on the TV. And gunfire.

ursus

I'd love to go see some more movies. I guess I will when I have both time and money.
I was just wondering...

ignom

I think I may take a half-day at work tomorrow and go see this or maybe Dukes of Hazzard or Deuce Bigelow. I need something stupid.

ReBurn

Quote from: ignom on August 23, 2005, 07:49:12 PM
I think I may take a half-day at work tomorrow and go see this or maybe Dukes of Hazzard or Deuce Bigelow. I need something stupid.
If stupid is what you want then Dukes of Hazzard certainly fits the bill.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: ignom on August 23, 2005, 07:49:12 PM

What, I'm not good enough for you any more?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Way, way too many of those jokes hit close to home.  I need to eBay my action figures and get me some POON!

Gamplayerx

I know a really nice girl that would be perfect for you!  Want me to give her your number?

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 27, 2005, 07:50:15 PM
I know a really nice girl that would be perfect for you!  Want me to give her your number?

Will she let me put my bike in her trunk?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Beefy on August 27, 2005, 07:51:11 PM

She doesn't have a trunk, but if you're man enough, you can put your hog in her back seat.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 27, 2005, 07:56:17 PM

She doesn't have a trunk, but if you're man enough, you can put your hog in her back seat.

Sounds like a REAL country girl. 

I enjoyed the movie a lot.  Painfully funny in some parts, just painful in others.  I saw WAY too much of my own life in this character.  I really gotta start getting out more where there are women.  I spend too much time either alone, running errands, and not looking for women. 

I realized I'm not quite as bad as this guy with women, but I'm not too far away either.  Kind of a pathetic check of my own reality.  And still it was a good movie.

dazie

Quote from: vikingjuice on August 27, 2005, 09:44:45 PM

I enjoyed the movie a lot.  Painfully funny in some parts, just painful in others.  I saw WAY too much of my own life in this character.  I really gotta start getting out more where there are women.  I spend too much time either alone, running errands, and not looking for women. 

I realized I'm not quite as bad as this guy with women, but I'm not too far away either.  Kind of a pathetic check of my own reality.  And still it was a good movie.

Come up here for the Halloween party.  We'll find you some nice corn fed girl...
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

That's a shame.  From your posts and pictures, I'd think you're one hell of a catch (except, of course, for all the mean posts directed towards me, you cad).  Best way to not be alone is to not be alone.

Listener

I was really impressed at how well the David Caruso thing worked.  If I was still dating, I might try that.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 27, 2005, 10:06:39 PM

That's a shame.  From your posts and pictures, I'd think you're one hell of a catch (except, of course, for all the mean posts directed towards me, you cad).  Best way to not be alone is to not be alone.

Thanks.  That was very thoughtful.  I think the biggest problem is that I go from normal to babbling incoherent moron when there is a romantic possibility with a woman.  I completely suck at picking up someone.  I prefer the casual group setting but because I run in teacher circles a lot, I meet all the good ones who are already taken and the handful of mutants that aren't, and aren't for a particular reason.  I've got other groups of friends but it all works about the same way so far.
I think there is a lot of life that works or doesn't because of timing and my timing has been horrendous the last decade or so.