News:

9/8/05: 6 months, 75,000 posts! Thanks to Nishi for the post!

Main Menu

Firefly

Started by Alice, August 19, 2005, 09:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Does anyone have Firefly to burn on DVD's for me?  I'll trade you for something.  I just want to see it before the movie comes out, but I can't afford to throw down $40 right now.

ignom

Can you rent it?

The movie looks pretty neat, but I saw the X Flies movie without ever watching the show, and I didn't really get it or else it was just a bad movie.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Alice

Quote from: ignom on August 19, 2005, 09:31:46 AM
Can you rent it?

The movie looks pretty neat, but I saw the X Flies movie without ever watching the show, and I didn't really get it or else it was just a bad movie.
Well I've seen 3 episodes of the show - I'd just like to see the whole thing.  And I've looked, but there is nowhere to rent it around here. 

Beefy

I Netflixed them and started to burn them to DVD-R but then changed my mind.  Sorry.

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on August 19, 2005, 10:56:32 AM
I Netflixed them and started to burn them to DVD-R but then changed my mind.  Sorry.
It's okay.  :)

Listener

I'm certain Sci-Fi will do another Firefly marathon soon, including all 11 (or was it 13, I can never remember) episodes.  Probably close to when the movie comes out.  You don't really miss anything by having to fast-forward through the commercials.

Have you tried d/ling them through WinMX or IRC yet?  Not that I would ever do such a thing (no, really, I actually own the DVDs), but I've heard that it's possible.

And, if all else fails, I suppose I could try dusting off the DVD burner.  Do you have Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex?

Alice

I can't download anything.  My laptop is busted.

Maybe I'll just talk the roomie into buying them.

I do have GITS: Stand, but only the first disc.

Beefy

I've got the full run of S.A.C. seasons 1 & 2.  And have never watched any of them.

Why?

Because I'm an idiot.

Listener

Quote from: Beefy on August 19, 2005, 11:16:37 AM
I've got the full run of S.A.C. seasons 1 & 2.  And have never watched any of them.

Why?

Because I'm an idiot.

All righty then.

I'd also like to see the Read Or Die series... I really liked the movie, which is supposedly set AFTER the series, so I feel like I missed out.

ignom

Quote from: Listener on August 19, 2005, 11:05:41 AM
I'm certain Sci-Fi will do another Firefly marathon soon, including all 11 (or was it 13, I can never remember) episodes. 

Sci Fi is doing another marathon today.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Listener

Quote from: ignom on January 06, 2006, 11:57:46 AM
Quote from: Listener on August 19, 2005, 11:05:41 AM
I'm certain Sci-Fi will do another Firefly marathon soon, including all 11 (or was it 13, I can never remember) episodes. 

Sci Fi is doing another marathon today.

Last time there was a marathon I was at my parents' house.  For some reason at the end of "Trash" I was like, "what's that thing on Mal's ass?"  Then I realized it was a censorship blob, because obviously we can't show naked man-ass on cable even though it was not there for prurient reasons.  At least, not MY prurient reasons.

Jessie

Timothy and I watched the last episode last night.  We were really sad that it's over :( 
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

It sucks doesn't it?

I sob at the end of "The Message" mostly because that's when they found out the show was cancelled.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on February 01, 2007, 11:52:20 AM
Timothy and I watched the last episode last night.  We were really sad that it's over :( 

There are many, many, many good TV shows out on DVD that are worth discovering as well.

Heck, if Tim likes Star Trek: TNG or that kind of thing, you watch all the seasons of TNG, Farscape, Stargate SG1, Battestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis, Doctor Who, The Greatest American Hero...

Jessie

But are they as clever and funny as Firefly?  All the smartassedness of Firefly is what made it great.  Well, and Jayne. 

We haven't seen Serenity yet, but I've bumped it up in the queue.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on February 01, 2007, 12:24:22 PM
But are they as clever and funny as Firefly?  All the smartassedness of Firefly is what made it great.  Well, and Jayne. 

We haven't seen Serenity yet, but I've bumped it up in the queue.
Oh man.  You're in for some fun.

DownSouth

I watched Stargate for years.  Reruns come on at 6 on Sci Fi and new episodes are fridays.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

The smartassedness is also what kept you from taking the show 100% seriously, as Joss Whedon's dialogue is self-consciously hip and not very realistic.  I like the show a lot, but that strength is also a flaw.

Doctor Who always had a very British sense of humor, which I enjoyed a lot when I was younger.  Try renting some of the Tom Baker episodes.  There's that long story arch that has to do with time that is several DVDs across.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on February 01, 2007, 12:30:17 PM
The smartassedness is also what kept you from taking the show 100% seriously, as Joss Whedon's dialogue is self-consciously hip and not very realistic.  I like the show a lot, but that strength is also a flaw.

Doctor Who always had a very British sense of humor, which I enjoyed a lot when I was younger.  Try renting some of the Tom Baker episodes.  There's that long story arch that has to do with time that is several DVDs across.
I liked it, and I still took it as seriously as I'm going to take any show about space cowboys, I guess.  I liked Firefly about 250% more than I expected to.

I'll have to look into some of the other stuff, too.  Thanks!

Beefy

Alice

I'd recommend Deadwood and Six Feet Under.  Though not for Timothy.

Beefy

I haven't actually seen several of the shows I've recommended, I'm just trying to think within the same genre.

dazie

I'm fond of Rescue Me, but it's not anywhere near the same kind of show.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on February 01, 2007, 01:41:57 PM
I'm fond of Rescue Me, but it's not anywhere near the same kind of show.
Yeah, I really liked that the few times I watched it.

eo000

you guys should watch Rome. it's entertaining, and educational.

did you know chicks manicured their bushes way back then?

Bishamonten

Quote from: eo000 on February 02, 2007, 05:04:50 PM

Romes a good show.

eo000

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 02, 2007, 07:53:30 PM
Quote from: eo000 on February 02, 2007, 05:04:50 PM

Romes a good show.
damn good show. i hope tudors is just as good.