News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

What should I fix for dinner tonight?

Started by Jessie, August 18, 2005, 01:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDun

Quote from: ignom on August 18, 2005, 02:12:11 PM
Quote from: BigDun on August 18, 2005, 02:10:08 PM
[The covering with mozzarella and broiling until brown makes it wonderful.

Putting parmesan on it is assumed.

I don't have any mozzerella at home and I'm trying to conserve money.

Any cheese will work. Cheddar, montery jack, colby, swiss, etc. Just no Velveeta or American.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ignom

Quote from: BigDun on August 18, 2005, 02:15:26 PM
Quote from: ignom on August 18, 2005, 02:12:11 PM
Quote from: BigDun on August 18, 2005, 02:10:08 PM
[The covering with mozzarella and broiling until brown makes it wonderful.

Putting parmesan on it is assumed.

I don't have any mozzerella at home and I'm trying to conserve money.

Any cheese will work. Cheddar, montery jack, colby, swiss, etc. Just no Velveeta or American.

I have a block of colby jack, but I've never tried that with pasta.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Bishamonten

Boil some pasta until it's to the consistency you like.

While the pasta is boiling, place some olive oil( say 2 teaspoons ) in a bowl large enough to hold the pasta and still allow you to turn it.  Add some flavorings to the olive oil.  I like chopped garlic and chooped sundried tomato.  Nuts are also good.  Just about anything you like will do.  Chop and throw into the bowl.

When the pasta is ready, strain it, throw it into the bowl while still pipping hot and use tongs or forks to toss the pasta.  It'll cook the garlic, etc, and soak up the olive oil.

Makes for some tasty pasta.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

cnamon

Bish, what are you doing this weekend?

Come to the house and cook for me.  Oh, and paint a section of wall.

Bishamonten

If you're not digging pasta, I'd go with PIzza.

Add 4oz( seriously, weigh it... ) of All Puporse Flour to a large bowl.
Add .5tsp sugar
Add .5tsp instant yeast.

Whisk the mixture together well.  Don't forget this step.  After it's whisked well, keep whisking and slowly add .5tsp of salt.

Make a volcano of the flour.  Just use your fingers and push aside the flour until you can see the bottom of the bowl in the center. 
Add 1/3 of a cup of room temperature water and using a rubber spatula, your fingers, or just a wooden spoon to start mixing in the flour.  You're going to do this until the dough just starts to come together.  Should take like 20 seconds. 

put some oil in a bowl that is 2x the size of the dough.  Drop the dough into the oiled bowl and turn to coat and then cover with a tea towel or a piece of plastic wrap.
Let the dough sit for a couple hours and rise.   For the tastiest dough possible, let it sit over night( sit out for 30min after you make it then right into the fridge, pull out of the fridge a couple hours before making the pizza ).

If you can't wait, at least let it sit for an hour or so or until it's doubled in size.

Flour your counter top, drop your dough on it and sprinkle some flour on the dough. 
Start kneading the dough by folding and pushing it down.  Don't need too much.  You don't want to activate too much gluten here.
Try to use your hands to roll the dough out into a thin circular disc.  I tend to press down lightly, and then pick up the dough and turn it like i'm turning a car wheel.  Unless you know how, seriously, don't flip it.  If you can't get it very round, just make it flatish.  Cover it with a tea towel and then let it raise again for 30 minutes.

Once it's risen again( it'll slightly puffy! ) you have many options for how to cook.  I grill mine.  Oil it a bit, and toss it down on the face of the grill.  Let it slightly brown, then flip it and start putting toppings on it( Pesto and Feta is a great way to go ).  Or you can toss it in the oven.  Up to you.

DownSouth

Quote from: Bishamonten on August 18, 2005, 02:39:44 PM

Add .5tsp sugar
Add .5tsp instant yeast.

Whisk the mixture together well.  Don't forget this step.  After it's whisked well, keep whisking and slowly add .5tsp of salt.

Make a volcano of the flour.  Just use your fingers and push aside the flour until you can see the bottom of the bowl in the center. 
Add 1/3 of a cup of room temperature water and using a rubber spatula, your fingers, or just a wooden spoon to start mixing in the flour.  You're going to do this until the dough just starts to come together.  Should take like 20 seconds. 

put some oil in a bowl that is 2x the size of the dough.  Drop the dough into the oiled bowl and turn to coat and then cover with a tea towel or a piece of plastic wrap.
Let the dough sit for a couple hours and rise.   For the tastiest dough possible, let it sit over night( sit out for 30min after you make it then right into the fridge, pull out of the fridge a couple hours before making the pizza ).

If you can't wait, at least let it sit for an hour or so or until it's doubled in size.

Flour your counter top, drop your dough on it and sprinkle some flour on the dough. 
Start kneading the dough by folding and pushing it down.  Don't need too much.  You don't want to activate too much gluten here.
Try to use your hands to roll the dough out into a thin circular disc.  I tend to press down lightly, and then pick up the dough and turn it like i'm turning a car wheel.  Unless you know how, seriously, don't flip it.  If you can't get it very round, just make it flatish.  Cover it with a tea towel and then let it raise again for 30 minutes.

Once it's risen again( it'll slightly puffy! ) you have many options for how to cook.  I grill mine.  Oil it a bit, and toss it down on the face of the grill.  Let it slightly brown, then flip it and start putting toppings on it( Pesto and Feta is a great way to go ).  Or you can toss it in the oven.  Up to you.
Or just go by a local pizza place and buy a dough ball.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bishamonten

Quote from: DownSouth on August 18, 2005, 02:48:44 PM

Add .5tsp sugar
Add .5tsp instant yeast.

Probably won't taste as good.  Especially if you compare it to one you let it sit over night.  Plus this is cheap cheap cheap.

DownSouth

Quote from: Bishamonten on August 18, 2005, 02:57:55 PM
Quote from: DownSouth on August 18, 2005, 02:48:44 PM

Add .5tsp sugar
Add .5tsp instant yeast.

Probably won't taste as good.  Especially if you compare it to one you let it sit over night.  Plus this is cheap cheap cheap.
Ours sat over night and we only charged 50 cents for a large piece.

Gamplayerx

Great.  I just told Grumpus I wasn't hungry, so he made himself chicken and cheese taquitos and none for me and then I read all these cheesy things.  Damn you all and your cheesy posts.

meredith

I was about to make spaghetti, but thought about the dishes I would dirty, and that I'm not feeding someone else, and laziness took over.  I think I'll be having popcorn shrimp for dinner. :)

ReBurn

I had dinner at Chick-fil-a.  And my kids' PTA got a cut of the take.  We're all winners!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 18, 2005, 08:01:32 PM
I had dinner at Chick-fil-a.  And my kids' PTA got a cut of the take.  We're all winners!
Yeah.  Except for that whole Chick-fil-A thing.

ReBurn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 18, 2005, 08:04:25 PM
Quote from: ReBurninator on August 18, 2005, 08:01:32 PM
Yeah.  Except for that whole Chick-fil-A thing.
Eat mor chikn

Gamplayerx

ReBurn

How can you not like the pressure-cooked goodness of a chick-fil-a sammich?  I'm flabbergasted!

Gamplayerx

I don't like gristly bits and veiny things.

ReBurn

I've never had either in a Chick-fil-a sandwich.  Somebody set you up the bomb.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Cats on August 18, 2005, 08:16:33 PM
I've never had either in a Chick-fil-a sandwich.  Somebody set you up the bomb.
Take off every 'Zig'!!

ignom

Chick-fil-a is awesome. Gamp, you suck.

Gamplayerx

ReBurn

ignom

ReBurn