News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

Finer Things

Started by VikingJuice, November 14, 2009, 12:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

For about 3 months now I've been searching for a special bottle of wine.  I went from store to store to store.  I've checked every grocery store, liquor store, large scale dealer and and small wine seller I could find in and around Houston.  Never found it.

Today, while killing time waiting to meet a friend uptown for dinner, I popped into a little boutique wine bar near the Rice Village to have a glass of wine.  As I milled about the store, perusing the essential wine paraphernalia that all wine lovers have in their homes, I noticed several racks of wine.  Most were local, and the rest were a few California vineyards I'd heard of.

Sitting in front of my face, to my complete and utter shock, was three bottles of Chateau Montelena Chardonnay.  If you haven't heard of it, let me give you a quickie breakdown.  It is one of THE 2 wines that made California wine matter for the first time in the world market.   It and the Stag's Leap Wine Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon each took first place in a blind taste test in 1976 in what is now referred to as "The Judgment of Paris".  The two winning bottles now reside in the Smithsonian Institute.

I now own the 2006 Vintage of the Chardonnay.  Now I just need a special occasion to open it up for (it was a little costly).

Dry then Catch

Gamplayerx

Just make sure you open it before it becomes too late to open it.  Because that's just silly.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Dry then Catch on November 16, 2009, 05:26:21 PM
how much did you pay

It was $50, which I know may not be a big deal to some folks, but to me, that's a lot for a single bottle of vino.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 17, 2009, 09:24:27 PM
Just make sure you open it before it becomes too late to open it.  Because that's just silly.

I've read that I have between 2-5 years for this one so I've got time.  It won't make it past Thanksgiving or Christmas so no worries.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 18, 2009, 08:31:14 PM
how much did you pay

It was $50, which I know may not be a big deal to some folks, but to me, that's a lot for a single bottle of vino.

wow thats like 10 bottle for me

sapphirehart

Quote from: Dry then Catch on November 19, 2009, 01:08:35 PM
how much did you pay

Dry then Catch

Quote from: sapphirehart on November 19, 2009, 04:58:05 PM
Quote from: Dry then Catch on November 19, 2009, 01:08:35 PM
how much did you pay

$5 each?
wow boone's sure is expensive where you live

swolt

I dad loves Boone's Farm
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Infobahn

swolt

A clever man commits no minor blunders.

grace

how much did you pay

and what would you recommend as a very smooth, just a little bite , in a merlot under say,  $15 a bottle?

VikingJuice

Quote from: grace on November 25, 2009, 08:58:00 PM
how much did you pay

and what would you recommend as a very smooth, just a little bite , in a merlot under say,  $15 a bottle?

I don't drink reds yet.  I haven't "graduated" that far up the taste scale yet.  But from what I've read, most Merlots are going to be pretty smooth, kind of soft on the edges of your tongue.  Here are some I've had recommended to me:

Blackstone
Estancia
Fetzer Vineyards
J. Lohr Vineyards
Dry Creek Vineyards
Wild Horse Winery

Each of these can likely be found at your local grocery store for $15-20

If you're ever looking for a white wine, I can offer you a number of suggestions.  I've tasted almost 80 wines since July and have kept a wine journal log for each.

dazie

I don't like wine much, bad experience in college, but I DO like Fess Parker wines.  Not too expensive, fairly tasty.  (I haven't had the merlot though- still can't bring myself to drink anything red)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

I have been enjoying red table wines for a while. These are blends of varieties, so aren't considered pure Merlot, Cab, etc. Some of my favorites in the $12 - $20 range are:

Copola Rosso
Big House Red
Marietta Old Vines
Chateau St. Michelle Indian Wells
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

Red wine is like drinking warm wet red colored dust. 

grace

not so, you have to acquire a taste for reds OR wet dust. my uncle used to make his own, my brother and i as kids, were expected to drink it at every sunday meal, ewww... turned me off to reds for a long time. enjoy it now though, in the winter.

we have a cold front moving in tonight, 50's ....burrrr!

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on November 26, 2009, 09:18:22 AM
I don't like wine much, bad experience in college, but I DO like Fess Parker wines.  Not too expensive, fairly tasty.  (I haven't had the merlot though- still can't bring myself to drink anything red)

I did a tasting at Fess Parker's this summer.  I was very impressed with the property and building, it was gorgeous but the wine was pretty lackluster to me.  You can find only a few of their varietals here in Houston.  I bought one for a friend because I knew she'd like it.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 26, 2009, 07:34:29 PM
Red wine is like drinking warm wet red colored dust. 

i used to mix it with sprite, how classy.  i actually like a really dry reds, see how sophisticated i am

Beefy

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on December 04, 2009, 07:58:20 PM
Quote from: Dry then Catch on December 04, 2009, 06:57:04 PM
i used to mix it with sprite, how classy. 

That's a new one.

Yeah.  I've even tended bar, but I've never heard of a Red wine spritzer.  Interesting.  Gross....but interesting.

Jessie

Last night I went to a banquet (TSMBDC - Tri State Minority Business Development Counsel - my company won supplier of the year) and I determined that I much prefer a cabernet to a chardonnay.  I suspected as much all along, but hadn't tried them both in the same evening to test my theory. 

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on December 05, 2009, 01:35:00 AM
Last night I went to a banquet (TSMBDC - Tri State Minority Business Development Counsel - my company won supplier of the year) and I determined that I much prefer a cabernet to a chardonnay.  I suspected as much all along, but hadn't tried them both in the same evening to test my theory. 

I find that I dislike most Chardonnays because they have that strong oak bitterness.  I hate that flavor.  It comes from being aged in oak barrels as opposed to steel containers.

Jessie

Sure.  Yeah.  Oak. 

I have no idea, I just know that there's something soothing about drinking a couple of glasses of red wine.  I'm only starting to appreciate it, but it's definitely there.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

BigDun

Quote from: VikingJuice on December 05, 2009, 02:01:05 AM
Quote from: Jessie on December 05, 2009, 01:35:00 AM

I find that I dislike most Chardonnays because they have that strong oak bitterness.  I hate that flavor.  It comes from being aged in oak barrels as opposed to steel containers.

Amen to that brother. My wife and I both turn down Chardonnays when we go to wine tastings if they have strong oak overtones.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on December 05, 2009, 02:20:18 AM
Sure.  Yeah.  Oak. 

I have no idea, I just know that there's something soothing about drinking a couple of glasses of red wine.  I'm only starting to appreciate it, but it's definitely there.

To me the oak flavor is sort of like a combination of the scent of clove and mildew mixed together only as a taste.  A very light touch in wine can be okay but most Chardonnays are pretty heavy on that flavor accent.  To me, it overwhelms just about any other flavor that the Chardonnay might have including fruit, grass, flowers, citrus, or even butter.

Sauvignon Blancs usually do a lot more for me.  I've also discovered that I REALLY like Chenin Blanc.  There's a lot of variety in them and I haven't found a Chenin that I dislike yet.

Beefy

Who wants a Miller Lite?!

Infobahn

I was going to say that a Blue Moon with Orange was sounding white trashy to this thread.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Infobahn on December 06, 2009, 11:09:13 AM
I was going to say that a Blue Moon with Orange was sounding white trashy to this thread.

Still, not a bad beer.