News:

3/7/05 Board opens.

Main Menu

Stephen King's the Dark Tower Series

Started by Dry then Catch, August 17, 2005, 03:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

I'm not going to write a whole lot if no one has read it....Has anyone?

Let's just say I read books I through 6 in about one month.

eo000

Gamplayerx

BigDun

We downloaded the first book from Audible and tried to listen to it. I don't know about the entire book, but the first few chapters don't make for riveting listening material.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

The first book was hard to get into.  They get better.

Dry then Catch

Gamp,

hold up i just woke up i'll write more when i get to work, but i pretty much just had a nightmare influenced by that book.  considering i forgot to take some of my meds (thats why my dreams get sort of intensifed, though i've been told the opposite), i almost felt as if i went TODASH.   it had to do with the vampires of Salem's lot.  ok i'm going to stop reading that book right before I go to bed. 

the odd thing is everyone, its not reallly a horror per se.

BD, i don't know if i would have enjoyed it audio either.  pick up a copy if you are still interested the mood seems to work better the other way.  the first one was written when he was 19. 

Gamplayerx

Dry then Catch

awesome

thankee sai

First, I assume you liked the overall series.
I'm not so certain if its so much a set of books I'll read over and over again, but its very capitvating its defintely put its "glam" on me.

I've mid way through Song of Susannah....
Which was your favorite thus far?  I liked the "flashback" book of when Roland was a young gunslinger.
I haven't read much king, though I've seen a few movies. Am I missing out on a lot of the references?

I'll spare everyone my dream, needless to say it was scary as shiat, and pretty much nonsensical.  though there was flying, death, vampires, clones, muppets, heights, trucks, rapists, militant homosexual, satanic priests posing as common people and firemen involved.

Beefy

I read the first book.  It was decent.

Dry then Catch

like Gamp said the first book doesnt do the rest of the series justice.

other than its weird, creepy atmosphere, which i have to say hasn't been matched.  its inevitable as we learn more about the characters and the world though. 

Gamplayerx

The flashbacks to young Roland with Susan Delgado is my favorite part of the series.  My least favorite is when Stephen King puts himself in the book.

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 17, 2005, 02:55:17 PM
The flashbacks to young Roland with Susan Delgado is my favorite part of the series.  My least favorite is when Stephen King puts himself in the book.

Clive Cussler does that crap with every Dirk Pitt novel.

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on August 17, 2005, 03:05:46 PM

Waldo does that crap with every Where's Waldo novel.

Talk about megalomania.   ::)  Fuck him.

Dry then Catch

i concur 100% on both counts.  I am sad that probably the agreed upon best part is over.  i haven't seen "King" yet, but its being alluded to and I'm about to cringe. 

do you think it would be a good movie?

Gamplayerx

It would have to be like a 20 hour movie.  But I'd watch it.  :)

Dry then Catch

did you see the Stand?  wasn't that like a 20hr movie.  Good, but still mini-series cheesy.

who would you cast?  NO obvious Roland by a young Clint Eastwood. 

Gamplayerx

Of course I saw The Stand.

Eww.  Don't put Clint Eastwood's name anywhere near Roland.

ReBurn

Clint Roland Eastwood.

It's like a Clint sandwich.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

And to think I used to like ReBurn so much.

ReBurn

At least I didn't say Clint Gamp Eastwood in the same context.

You might not have liked that.

Gamplayerx

Thanks for the restraint on that bit.  I know it must have been tough for you.

ReBurn

Dry then Catch

what about Hugh jackman as roland.  Roland is more the lanky strong type though, than the overtly buff.

Alice

Dry then Catch