News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

I installed my own RAM today!!

Started by VikingJuice, October 25, 2009, 09:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

WOOT!!  I did it on my own and my machine DIDN'T blow up.  For you tech heads, this is obviously no big thing but for me, this was kind of a milestone in managing my own technology.

I could only go up to 2 gb of RAM b/c of my computer's mother board limitations (at least according to the guy I talked with at Fry's).  Still, my machine runs significantly faster since the upgrade.

BigDun

I just upgraded a computer work to 16GB RAM last week. Unfortunately, it can only take advantage of 12GB until I drop in another quad core CPU. The memory and CPU will exceed the cost of the computer by a thousand dollars.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

VikingJuice

Quote from: BigDun on October 25, 2009, 09:22:58 PM
I just upgraded a computer work to 16GB RAM last week. Unfortunately, it can only take advantage of 12GB until I drop in another quad core CPU. The memory and CPU will exceed the cost of the computer by a thousand dollars.

Wow, I didn't know 16GB of RAM was even possible.  That machine must handle tons of functions at once.

ReBurn

My laptop can only handle 4GB of RAM. But I have a tower I'm getting started on and the motherboard I'm thinking of going with can handle up to 16GB RAM.

I was thinking this: http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9101895&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9101895

But at some point I was going to ask for recommendations.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

BigDun

Quote from: ReBurn on November 02, 2009, 11:06:25 AM
My laptop can only handle 4GB of RAM. But I have a tower I'm getting started on and the motherboard I'm thinking of going with can handle up to 16GB RAM.

I was thinking this: http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9101895&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9101895

Get one of these: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/maingear-unveils-core-i7-packin-shift-your-own-personal-super/
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

I think we should all have Jason walk us through building a PC.  An online class.  I have gotomeeting, so I can host!  Skype, too.

ReBurn

Quote from: BigDun on November 02, 2009, 12:52:03 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on November 02, 2009, 11:06:25 AM

Get one of these: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/maingear-unveils-core-i7-packin-shift-your-own-personal-super/

That's actually a pretty sweet setup.

grace

this all sounds soo good, but i'm just getting a Mac. think i can grasp that, simple and sweet...

ReBurn

grace

that is real sweet... dam,  it's soo hard to decide what i want in a mac. my daughter keeps telling me to get a stellar "book."  what i really want is this mini mac and a small traveler book model, big bucks!
why do tech decisions have to be so hard and costly ?  because they are so ever-changing. i am also in the market for a new camera. many flavors, i'm leaning on a $500 Nikon? i sold my old camera to "work."  so i have some cash credit to work with for the new one.

what do you think on that subject, dots?  i want a piece that can handle wide landscape shots & incredible zoom, with ability to have large professional prints made as well. durable and somewhat compact as well...?

Dry then Catch

i assumed everyone here was good at installing stuff

VikingJuice

Quote from: Dry then Catch on November 06, 2009, 12:19:56 AM
i assumed everyone here was good at installing stuff

I'm not quite a techno-tard, but sometimes can be pretty close to it.

dots

Quote from: grace on November 05, 2009, 11:05:27 PM
that is real sweet... dam,  it's soo hard to decide what i want in a mac. my daughter keeps telling me to get a stellar "book."  what i really want is this mini mac and a small traveler book model, big bucks!
why do tech decisions have to be so hard and costly ?  because they are so ever-changing. i am also in the market for a new camera. many flavors, i'm leaning on a $500 Nikon? i sold my old camera to "work."  so i have some cash credit to work with for the new one.

what do you think on that subject, dots?  i want a piece that can handle wide landscape shots & incredible zoom, with ability to have large professional prints made as well. durable and somewhat compact as well...?
I think the $500 Nikon you are referring to is the D40.  It's a solid camera for beginners.  The kit lens is actually pretty good. 

I had that camera and I have had photos I took with it blown up to 20x30. 
You're an asshole and I hate you.

grace

VikingJuice

Quote from: dots on November 07, 2009, 08:20:50 PM
Quote from: grace on November 05, 2009, 11:05:27 PM

I think the $500 Nikon you are referring to is the D40.  It's a solid camera for beginners.  The kit lens is actually pretty good. 

I had that camera and I have had photos I took with it blown up to 20x30. 

I've been using the D90 since summer and have absolutely loved it.  It can do so many things-most of which, I still haven't learned to do yet.  I'm going to take a class either in the spring or more likely, in the summer.

grace

hope that i can make time to use it, soo much fun. i run across many special shots daily,  that my old camera just couldn't handle.

VikingJuice

Quote from: grace on November 07, 2009, 11:46:57 PM
hope that i can make time to use it, soo much fun. i run across many special shots daily,  that my old camera just couldn't handle.

Actually, your area down in Florida is precisely where I want to go for my next vacation to take pictures.  I've never shot anything remotely tropical with a good camera.  The last time I was in that part of Florida was 1987 and my camera was some $30 POS from about 1980 that I bought with my allowance as a kid.

I'd love to go down there with my D90.  I bet I could capture some really awesome shots.

grace

i have so many great shots of "old florida" that i can't put on my wall, at least by my standards.  let me know when you think about heading this way, you can shoot some and shoot the shit as well. many awesome locations.