News:

9/7/05- 6 months! How the heck did we miss that date?? And you didn't even remember to get me a gift!

Main Menu

Limbaugh dropped from team trying to buy the Rams

Started by VikingJuice, October 14, 2009, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4559454

Up to this point, he spoke repeatedly of how he was this and that, trying to back away from some of his past criticisms.  The second he gets dropped, he pisses and moans and cries foul by playing political games again.  Sad.  The man gets bumped and shows his true colors in about 10 seconds.

ReBurn

I don't really care whether the guy gets to own a football team or not, but I do find it odd that of all of the people in all of the coalitions looking to buy the team he was the only one who had his name released.Especially considering the confidentiality involved in the bidding process. I would imagine that if he wanted to he would have grounds to sue for a breach of contract of some sort.

He's brought any criticism he gets upon himself. But should his political leanings prevent him from being able to own a football team? Doesn't it bother you that any citizen's freedoms could be restricted just because of how they exercise their freedom of speech? He's an idiot to be sure, but a lot of what people are saying he said as part of the news coverage was never substantiated. It sounds highly believable due to the man's incendiary nature, but rights shouldn't be determined in the court of public opinion. The only thing that was even relevant was the Donovan McNabb comment that cost him is commentator job.

Like I said, I don't really care that he was shut out and chances that the owners would have approved of him were virtually non-existent anyway. But I would rather it be because the process worked instead of because of some witch hunt based on propaganda by liberal media outlets and known race-baiters like Al Sharpton.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bennyhana

Quote from: ReBurn on October 21, 2009, 09:37:13 AM
I don't really care whether the guy gets to own a football team or not, but I do find it odd that of all of the people in all of the coalitions looking to buy the team he was the only one who had his name released.Especially considering the confidentiality involved in the bidding process. I would imagine that if he wanted to he would have grounds to sue for a breach of contract of some sort.

He's brought any criticism he gets upon himself. But should his political leanings prevent him from being able to own a football team? Doesn't it bother you that any citizen's freedoms could be restricted just because of how they exercise their freedom of speech? He's an idiot to be sure, but a lot of what people are saying he said as part of the news coverage was never substantiated. It sounds highly believable due to the man's incendiary nature, but rights shouldn't be determined in the court of public opinion. The only thing that was even relevant was the Donovan McNabb comment that cost him is commentator job.

Like I said, I don't really care that he was shut out and chances that the owners would have approved of him were virtually non-existent anyway. But I would rather it be because the process worked instead of because of some witch hunt based on propaganda by liberal media outlets and known race-baiters like Al Sharpton.

I agree.  And Donovan McNabb is overrated, but not because he's black.  It's because he's apparently made entirely of glass.  Anyway, if Rush or Al Sharpton bought a team, I'd be protesting in the appropriate way: hoping the Bears kicked their asses on Sunday.

VikingJuice

Sharpton is a complete douche no matter how you slice it.  I'm surprised he's allowed to have a driver's license.

To a degree, I agree that Limbaugh is unfairly getting hit because of his political viewpoints.  His name was leaked, but it was NOT the only one and it was repeated dozens of times by the man himself.  Truthfully, the "liberal media" had little to do with his ouster, unless you consider Fox News and ESPN as liberal media because they covered it more than any other network, including MSNBC and CNN.  The man should have every right to bid, contract and even purchase in part or in whole any business which he chooses to.

On the other hand, if you are bringing in an owner who will be a lightning rod for controversy and even possibly MIGHT keep some players or even some fans away because of his past, then he simply isn't worth bringing into the fold for an ownership team.

Like it or not, press matters.  In the NFL, in some ways, much more than it ever should.  But that's why when teams like the Miami Dolphins want to bring in co-owners or teams of owners, they go after people who are largely LIKED by the public; Gloria Estefan, J. Lo, Jimmy Buffet, Marc Anthony and the like.

Now don't get me wrong, the NFL has a littany of public issues with all the dipshit players who can't stay out of the crack houses and squad cars.  And yes, it is hypocritical to single Rush out but not crack down on all the other illegal or unethical bullshit.

But again, press still matters.  It's the same reason most NFL teams wouldn't throw their hat in the ring to acquire Michael Vick's services.  He was like PR Cryptonite.  If Rush really wants a legit shot at getting into the NFL as a co-owner, he needs to do a lot to change his current image or distance himself from it to shake off the filth of his public belligerence and his condescending, holier than thou public persona.  A lot of people hate him, without regard to his politics, because he just comes across as an asshole.  He just happens to be a popular asshole who talks politics that half the country really digs.  

In the end, he has every right to cry foul but he gets about as much sympathy from me as the USFL did.  Trump's personality sunk that league and in a similar way, Rush's personality, or at least the public's perception of it, sunk him too.

ReBurn

Without a doubt. You can't make yourself a lightning rod and complain when you get struck by lightning.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

VikingJuice

Quote from: ReBurn on October 22, 2009, 02:22:24 PM
Without a doubt. You can't make yourself a lightning rod and complain when you get struck by lightning.

I like that phrase.  I'll have to remember that one.  Well put.