News:

"I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not." --Lucille Ball

Main Menu

History

Started by OBB, March 06, 2005, 11:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBB

Is this a humanity, or a social science? In Canada, we consider it a Humanities course, but down in the US, it looks like it's more of a social science...

Also, every time someone found out I was a History major, they would ask "oh, are you gonna be a teacher?" Is there anything else History Majors do except for teach history or go on to Law School?

Jessie

Do you know how George Washington died?

Timothy asked me and I said I didn't know, but you probably would.

Don't google it either, cheater.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

OBB

I'm going to say 'old age', Jessie... but upon further recollection, I seem to recall him dying at the age of 67. I think he came down with pheumonia.

Jessie

You'll have to come visit sometime when I get out of here. 

Timothy would love all your historical knowledge.

He's into that kind of thing, too.

To answer your earlier question, I don't know what else you could use your degree for.

Tour guide at historical locations?  That might be kinda cool, depending on where you went.

OBB

I'd be glad to meet with Timothy. He sounds like a really cool little tyke! (Takes after his mom, no doubt)

Beefy

Quite a few historians have made careers out of being authors. 

cnamon

You could work in government with a history degree.  I know quite a few people in Policy that have history degrees.  I am still considering a degree in History.

OBB

Quote from: cnamon on March 07, 2005, 07:50:29 AM
You could work in government with a history degree.  I know quite a few people in Policy that have history degrees.  I am still considering a degree in History.

Except for the Canadian government, where French is more of a prerequisite than real education.

Beefy

Historians also work as advisors in many avenues of employment.

Depending on what facet of history one chooses to excel at, all kinds of interesting doors could be opened.  Including teaching, which is an incredibly valuable endeavor.

OBB

Quote from: Beef on March 07, 2005, 07:54:07 AM

Depending on what facet of history one chooses to excel at, all kinds of interesting doors could be opened.  Including teaching, which is an incredibly valuable endeavor.

Maybe I should start practicing, and then get on Jeopardy. I could become the new Ken Jennings, and I can randomly plug this site on the air. Plus I'd get mad triviaphile booty.

Jessie

Quote from: OBB on March 07, 2005, 08:06:52 AM
Quote from: Beef on March 07, 2005, 07:54:07 AM

Maybe I should start practicing, and then get on Jeopardy. I could become the new Ken Jennings, and I can randomly plug this site on the air. Plus I'd get mad triviaphile booty.

That sentence just made me love you 10x more.

OBB

OMG! I love my new subtitle! Eat that, "Dreaded Rear Admiral!"

Jessie

Quote from: OBB on March 07, 2005, 08:24:07 AM
OMG! I love my new subtitle! Eat that, "Dreaded Rear Admiral!"

HAHA  I love it, too!

OBB

Now of course, the question is: Where are all these triviaphilic babes right now? Did that Jennings curr marry them all with his Mormon skillz?

I want my triviaphilic babes!

Dry then Catch

i want my OneRing groupies

Jessie

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 07, 2005, 12:56:24 PM

It will be a while before I forgive you for that one.  I'm glad it happened, but still.

OBB

OneRing lives on in our hearts and minds.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beef on March 07, 2005, 01:35:42 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 07, 2005, 12:56:24 PM

It will be a while before I forgive you for that one.  I'm glad it happened, but still.

i was only 25% of his posts really.  Curiousity led me to him.  No I don't know that much about LOTR at all. 
Formula:  Google * (Topic Matter + LOTR) + thesaurus for hard words = one ring post

OBB

I can't believe you hoodwinked us, Catchr. That's worse than Anakin's turn to the Dark Side.

charmed

I knew onering was fake the whole time.

ReBurn

I WAS right, though.  Onering was a geek.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Mr. SM Holocaust

Quote from: OBB on March 06, 2005, 11:39:46 PM
Is this a humanity, or a social science? In Canada, we consider it a Humanities course, but down in the US, it looks like it's more of a social science...

Also, every time someone found out I was a History major, they would ask "oh, are you gonna be a teacher?" Is there anything else History Majors do except for teach history or go on to Law School?

I was going to be a military historian but I didn't get into West Point and what's the point of being one if you don't have the right credentials.

charmed

OBB

Quote from: Mr. SM Holocaust on March 09, 2005, 12:14:33 AM
Quote from: OBB on March 06, 2005, 11:39:46 PM

I was going to be a military historian but I didn't get into West Point and what's the point of being one if you don't have the right credentials.

Funny story: I was going to be a military historian, but I didn't get into Royal Military College. Seriously.