News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

Yay!! Go Coogs!!

Started by VikingJuice, September 12, 2009, 09:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

My much maligned Houston Cougars just completed the biggest win in the last 25 years for the school in beating #5 ranked Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Ok.  It was a see-saw affair with the Cougars clawing out an early lead only to blow it in the third.  Then in the fourth, on the strength of 21 points with both offense and defense scoring, they locked it down for the victory.

The last couple years have been really exciting watching Houston football again.  It reminds me of the good ole' days when we ran the Run-n-shoot offenses with Andre Ware and David Klingler.  Those were some super fun times and our current offense, led by Case Keenum, is conjuring up those memories but with a better defense to help him out.

To be honest, I don't really expect the team to be anything major on the national stage but I think they can make a little noise for a while.  And it's fun to dream when your Alma-mater's team is undefeated for at least one more week.

[attachment deleted by admin]

swolt

I was happy to see Houston win
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

dazie

I was happy to see OSU lose.   :evil:
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

VikingJuice

The Houston Cougars, who were ranked in the top 20 for the first time in about 25 years, defended their sold out home turf (we NEVER EVER sell out home games) against Texas Tech.  Houston needed to drive 95 yards in the 4th quarter to take the lead and secure the victory.  Case Keenum stepped up repeatedly on third down and even one fourth down to march the team to the promised land!!

This makes 2 Big 12 teams in a row that the Cougars have beaten.  Kevin Sumlin (head coach) definitely has this team rolling and striving for heights never reached in the program's history.  They now have a legit shot to land in a BCS bowl if they can manage to run the table against a mediorce C-USA schedule.  It's still early, but this could be the best season in school history.

For people from schools used to winning, this is no big deal.  For those of us from schools that have NEVER been relevant, NEVER been important, and NEVER been legitimately good, this season is such a HUGE deal.  It's important to matter, more so when you never have before!!

Go Coogs!!

Bennyhana

I'd say more about how happy I am that the Bears have won two in a row, but we all know how close those games really were, and how porous the defense was for most of the game, and how injured the defense is, and how the running game isn't really there in the way we usually hope it will be.  So I try to be silent and cross my fingers.  This results in less posting on Junto in general, and I'm sorry.

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on September 28, 2009, 11:18:28 AM
I'd say more about how happy I am that the Bears have won two in a row, but we all know how close those games really were, and how porous the defense was for most of the game, and how injured the defense is, and how the running game isn't really there in the way we usually hope it will be.  So I try to be silent and cross my fingers.  This results in less posting on Junto in general, and I'm sorry.

I'll take wins however we can get them, but it is highly disappointing that we've only won because of the other team's kicker.

Infobahn

swolt

It looked like Reggie Bush finally figured out he is a running back and not a dancer. He actually ran the ball instead of dancing until he was tackled.
And that was great and all, but then Drew Brees forgot that he throws touchdowns.

A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on September 28, 2009, 12:09:33 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on September 28, 2009, 11:18:28 AM

I'll take wins however we can get them, but it is highly disappointing that we've only won because of the other team's kicker.
Yeah, I mean, I like that the team has the heart to win in games like that, but it's not going to work for an entire season.  Eventually, they're going to have to stop letting the other team drive them easily into field goal range, and they're going to have to do more driving of their own.

VikingJuice

My beloved Coogs....what were you thinking today?

A chance to matter nationally?  Gone

A chance to run the table and crash the BCS?  Gone

A chance to go undefeated?  Gone

A chance to be something truly special at a school with no significant history?  Gone

A chance to win another Heisman?  Maybe

My boys put up 41 points............and lost by 17.  Where oh where have you gone Cougar D?

Beefy

I had two coworkers attend the game (separately) last weekend and while they said the game was fantastic, they both agreed that the actual Houston fans attending the game were awful, ill-mannered, and idiotic, often in front of the cameras.  They said it was embarrassing.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on October 04, 2009, 08:43:02 AM
I had two coworkers attend the game (separately) last weekend and while they said the game was fantastic, they both agreed that the actual Houston fans attending the game were awful, ill-mannered, and idiotic, often in front of the cameras.  They said it was embarrassing.

Part of that is not having any experience being an important team.

Another part is that those kinds of people constitute a HUGE chunk of the UH population.  That hasn't changed since I started attending in Fall 1990.

Infobahn

If you are looking to avoid boorish, sophomoric behavior, I would suggest avoiding all College Football games. NFL for that matter, too.

Beefy

Doesn't matter much to me, but my coworkers have season tickets I think and were taken aback at how aful people would act on live television.  People were even stealing the players' gear!

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on October 04, 2009, 03:05:53 PM
Doesn't matter much to me, but my coworkers have season tickets I think and were taken aback at how aful people would act on live television.  People were even stealing the players' gear!

3 game helmets were stolen.  The head coach had to put an ad out in the Houston Chronicle asking for them to be returned.  It was also mentioned on the nightly news and local radio stations.

VikingJuice

HO-LEE-SH**!!!

The Cougars just pulled a rabbit out of their asses!!

They were trailing by 8 with 3 minutes to go.  Drive down, score the TD but badly blow the 2 point conversion.  They line up for the onside kick and some how the ball bounces off the Tulsa player right into the waiting hands of a Cougar player.  They drive down field now with 20 seconds on the clock.  3 plays and they are close enough to gamble on a 51 yard field goal with a walk on freshman kicker who just joined the team-about 3 weeks ago. 

Then, in the wind, with the game and the whole season on the line, he coolly lines up and crushes the 51 yard game winner!!

If I didn't see it personally, I wouldn't have believed it considering how sloppy and mistake prone the team had been tonight.  The Coogs didn't play well, didn't deserve to win, and yet here they stand as victors once again!!

Man I love football!!

Dry then Catch

how are you liking my boy TE Fendi Onobun

VikingJuice

Quote from: Dry then Catch on November 09, 2009, 05:49:01 PM

Never heard of him.  According to the google, he plays hoops for AZ.  Does he play FB too?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 09, 2009, 07:03:29 PM
Quote from: Dry then Catch on November 09, 2009, 05:49:01 PM

Never heard of him.  According to the google, he plays hoops for AZ.  Does he play FB too?

http://conferenceusa.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110209aaj.html

yes he played 4 years as bench warmer basketball player in AZ now is a grad student (even though the article says senior he actually did graduate) at Houston playing football.  Used his bball skills to block two field goals

VikingJuice