More What is your opinion stuff-sports style

Started by VikingJuice, August 15, 2009, 01:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

I know that pro athletes historically have been given a free pass on behavior and personal conduct for most of their lives and most of the existence of professional sports.  Recently though, some leagues have been getting a little tougher.

Do athletes owe a higher standard of behavior since they are public figures and well compensated ones at that?

If not, should each league or even ball club develop a more stringent standard of behavior to address asshats like Michael Vick (dog killer), Donte Stallworth (DWI Killer) and Leonard Little (DWI Killer)?

I'm personally sickened by our legal system that allowed Stallworth to kill the man, then be sentenced to only 30 days in prison, then actually only serve 23 of those days, and then got let out.  There are mitigating issues in the court's mind though since he agreed to pay what is described as a "hefty sum of money" in a settlement to the family of the man he killed.  I think people in general that do things like this, should get at least 15 years.

Alice

Halle Berry killed someone in a hit and run.

I don't like a lot of what the athletes get away with, but they are getting paid to play a sport.  If they can still play the sport, I don't see why teams shouldn't be able to sign them on.  I don't have to watch or root for those teams anymore, but I don't see why they still can't play.

Jail time and fines are meant as the punishment.  I don't see anything wrong with having loose rules and doing it on an individual basis. 

A DWI is a mistake, a stupid mistake, but still if a family feels like getting a large sum of money is just as good as this guy staying in jail for 15 years, I don't see what the issue is.  I realize that getting behind a wheel while drunk is a stupid thing to do, killing someone is also a horrible, horrible thing - but personally, 15 years seems a bit too excessive for a punishment.  The point of jail is rehabilitation/learning - well, it's supposed to be.  For a first time offender, 15 years is an awful long time to learn.  He'll feel like shit for it the rest of his life as it is.

Beefy

That kind of shit will fly with all kinds of celebrities until our society grows tired of letting it happen.  Until then, the NFL/Hollywood/whoever can hire and utilize whoever they want, and we as consumers can decide if we want to support them with our time or money or not.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Alice on August 15, 2009, 10:16:48 AM
Halle Berry killed someone in a hit and run.

I don't like a lot of what the athletes get away with, but they are getting paid to play a sport.  If they can still play the sport, I don't see why teams shouldn't be able to sign them on.  I don't have to watch or root for those teams anymore, but I don't see why they still can't play.

Jail time and fines are meant as the punishment.  I don't see anything wrong with having loose rules and doing it on an individual basis.  

A DWI is a mistake, a stupid mistake, but still if a family feels like getting a large sum of money is just as good as this guy staying in jail for 15 years, I don't see what the issue is.  I realize that getting behind a wheel while drunk is a stupid thing to do, killing someone is also a horrible, horrible thing - but personally, 15 years seems a bit too excessive for a punishment.  The point of jail is rehabilitation/learning - well, it's supposed to be.  For a first time offender, 15 years is an awful long time to learn.  He'll feel like shit for it the rest of his life as it is.

But that's part of the problem with the money thing.  So if he doesn't have the money, then it isn't just as good as the guy getting 15 years?  He did kill someone.  It's not like he insulted the family, or took a dump on their kitchen table.  He killed a dad.  The money argument doesn't soften the situation in my head.  If it were my family member and this dude offers money, I still want max legal penalty.  If I wanted his money, I'd go after him in civil court and that to me, should have no bearing on the results in a criminal court.

And the 15 thing is what we was originally facing as a max penalty.  I think, but could be wrong, it is the standard max for such a crime.

I think my main issue with this particular case is that the legal system let the country down.  This guy deserved a MUCH harsher punishment.  His feeling bad for life in no way diminishes the pain the family will feel for their lives.  

Also, Halley Barry's ass should be in jail too, for a long time.

Alice

Quote from: VikingJuice on August 15, 2009, 12:30:13 PM

But that's part of the problem with the money thing.  So if he doesn't have the money, then it isn't just as good as the guy getting 15 years?  He did kill someone.  It's not like he insulted the family, or took a dump on their kitchen table.  He killed a dad.  The money argument doesn't soften the situation in my head.  If it were my family member and this dude offers money, I still want max legal penalty.  If I wanted his money, I'd go after him in civil court and that to me, should have no bearing on the results in a criminal court.

And the 15 thing is what we was originally facing as a max penalty.  I think, but could be wrong, it is the standard max for such a crime.

I think my main issue with this particular case is that the legal system let the country down.  This guy deserved a MUCH harsher punishment.  His feeling bad for life in no way diminishes the pain the family will feel for their lives.  

Also, Halley Barry's ass should be in jail too, for a long time.

You aren't involved in this case.  His family decided that getting money was more important than him serving time in jail.  What you think about the situation doesn't really matter in this case.

15 years for manslaughter still seems too high to me.

Alice

Oh, just looked it up - was a DUI, not a DWI.  Changes things a little, not much, but a little.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Alice on August 15, 2009, 12:33:48 PM
Oh, just looked it up - was a DUI, not a DWI.  Changes things a little, not much, but a little.

What's the distinction in severity?  I always assumed they were the same.

Alice

Quote from: VikingJuice on August 15, 2009, 12:35:41 PM

It depends on the state. 

In IL, the "legal limit" is .08.  Anything above that you get a DUI.  Anything between .05 and .08 you can get a DWI.

In some states, DWI is harsher than DUI.  In other states, they use one for alcohol, one for drugs.  In other states one is used for minors and others for adults.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Alice on August 15, 2009, 12:41:55 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on August 15, 2009, 12:35:41 PM

It depends on the state. 

In IL, the "legal limit" is .08.  Anything above that you get a DUI.  Anything between .05 and .08 you can get a DWI.

In some states, DWI is harsher than DUI.  In other states, they use one for alcohol, one for drugs.  In other states one is used for minors and others for adults.

That's a lot of variations.