News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

Bewitched/Rent

Started by Listener, August 08, 2005, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Took the wife to see Bewitched this weekend, cos she'd been wanting to see it.  It wasn't terrible -- and Nicole Kidman is awfully cute -- but in the very beginning, when Isabel moves to the valley, she does something really quite evil, and I don't think anyone noticed it.  Also, Jason Schwartzman's character was a pain in the ass.  But overall, nice light fluff.

They included a preview for the film version of Rent.  How did I miss hearing about that?  I'm not sure how I feel about it -- even though I'm sure I'll go see it, because I know more about musicals than any straight man should.  The preview was "Seasons of Love" (the one that goes "525,600 minutes / how do you measure a year") -- the entire song -- and I enjoyed it.  Also, Tracie Thoms, the best friend on Wonderfalls, is in it, and I like her.

Jessie

I heard about this the other day.  I've yet to see the stage version, because I could never find anyone interested in seeing it with me.  I want to see that before I see the movie, but if I can't, I'll probably see it soon after it opens.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Listener

Quote from: Jessie on August 08, 2005, 11:45:48 AM
I heard about this the other day.  I've yet to see the stage version, because I could never find anyone interested in seeing it with me.  I want to see that before I see the movie, but if I can't, I'll probably see it soon after it opens.

Well, I saw Evita the weekend it came out, and I saw Phantom on Christmas Day (very shortly after it came out), and I saw the South Park movie (which is really Les Mis) like three times in theaters... so I'll probably go see this within the first couple of weeks also.

Of course, I've also seen Evita, Phantom, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats, Joseph ATATD, Guys and Dolls, Les Mis, and even Starlight Express on stage, so it's kind of surprising to me that I've not gone to see Rent yet.

Jessie

Where do you live?  Want to go see Rent with me?  I just checked and it's not coming here any time soon.  Oooh, I should check Cincinnati and Knoxville.

Listener

Quote from: Jessie on August 08, 2005, 11:49:57 AM
Where do you live?  Want to go see Rent with me?  I just checked and it's not coming here any time soon.  Oooh, I should check Cincinnati and Knoxville.

Well, Madden 2006 is coming out tomorrow, so I don't think I'll be doing anything but playing that for the next three months.   ;D

Alice

Don't waste your money on Rent.

People sing, people count and people die of AIDS.  It's an overrated piece of shiat and one of the main reasons that true theatre is being ruined.

Feh.

cnamon

I want to see Sweet Charity...but I am still not sure about Kelly Bundy.

Jessie

Quote from: cnamon on August 08, 2005, 11:54:07 AM

Does she dance in it?  Remember that one episode where she danced with the jakitor?  She was good.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: AliceLiddell on August 08, 2005, 11:53:25 AM

People sing, people count and people die of AIDS.  It's an overrated piece of shiat and one of the main reasons that true theatre is being ruined.

Feh.
This is sort of off-topic, but I tried to watch Thunderbirds last night - only it turns out it was a movie with people, and not puppets.

cnamon

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 08, 2005, 11:59:38 AM

Feh.
This is sort of off-topic, but I tried to watch Thunderbirds last night - only it turns out it was a movie with people, and not puppets.
My dad was heartbroken when he found out it was live action.  I watched the puppet version on occasion with him.

Does that get me geek points?

ignom

I would much rather see Rent on stage as opposed to as a movie, but it does have Rosario Dawson in it, which is a plus.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

OBB

To be fair, the Rent movie reunites the entire original Broadway cast of Rent. It's probably the next best thing to seeing it on stage.

BTW, hi everyone!

dc

Quote from: OBB on August 08, 2005, 05:28:21 PM
To be fair, the Rent movie reunites the entire original Broadway cast of Rent. It's probably the next best thing to seeing it on stage.

BTW, hi everyone!

Hi, whoever you are....

ursus

Quote from: OBB on August 08, 2005, 05:28:21 PM

BTW, hi everyone!
Welcome to Junto we....oh yeah    :P

Quote from: cnamon on August 08, 2005, 11:54:07 AM
I know one of the guys who played in the pit for the Chicago run. He said she does all the broadway stuff real well.
I was just wondering...

Beefy

People sing, people count and people die of AIDS.  It's an overrated piece of shiat and one of the main reasons that true theatre is being ruined.

Feh.

This is what I have always assumed and have heard from others.

ursus

Quote from: Beefy on August 08, 2005, 07:32:08 PM

People sing, people count and people die of AIDS. It's an overrated piece of shiat and one of the main reasons that true theatre is being ruined.

Feh.

Go see the original. It's an opera called La Boehm.

The music is much cooler...
I was just wondering...

eo000

Quote from: Beefy on August 08, 2005, 07:32:08 PM

People sing, people count and people die of AIDS.  It's an overrated piece of shiat and one of the main reasons that true theatre is being ruined.

Feh.

I finally got dragged to see this last year in new york. gah, i'm glad i didn't have to pay for the ticket.

ignom

Was Rosario Dawson in the original cast?
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!