News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Harry Potter 6

Started by swolt, August 03, 2009, 02:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

Is there another thread for this? I didn't see one.

I don't like when people dislike a movie only because it is different from the book. Books and movies are different mediums for telling a story and what works in one doesn't always work in the other. So any time I've read a book and go see the movie I keep that in mind and try to enjoy the movie for it's own merit.
I felt the first 5 movies did a good job. They were good movies and stood on their own apart from the books. I highly enjoyed the 5th movie.

And that brings us to the Half Blood Prince. I didn't like it. It felt like something was missing.

[spoiler]I loved the book, but by the time Dumbledore died in the movie I didn't care. Also, what was the point of bringing the Death Eaters to the school if they weren't going to attack the students? Snape could have just killed Dumbledore without getting the rest involved.
The ending was very much missing something, namely the funeral. [/spoiler]

Like I said, they didn't have to keep everything from the book, but they kept some things and cut others that made the story seem disjointed. I was disappointed and hope the next one is better.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Beefy

The next two, you mean.

And thank you for providing me for another opportunity to state how much I disliked the 6th book.  It's the primary reason I haven't read the 7th one yet.

swolt

Quote from: Beefy on August 03, 2009, 02:44:56 PM
The next two, you mean.

And thank you for providing me for another opportunity to state how much I disliked the 6th book.  It's the primary reason I haven't read the 7th one yet.

The 7th book was very annoying because it was 100 pages of good stuff and the rest of teenagers arguing.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

dazie

I'm with you Swolt.  By this time I've learned to NOT expect the movie to be like the book.  There's just no way.  But to cut out THAT part?  REALLY?  And that OTHER part?  WTF.

Ursus and I just kind of looked at each other at the end and shook our heads.  It was like there was a chunk of film missing.  Like when I showed Independence Day and the projector chewed up the part where Harry Connick Jr. bites it.  People were like "What the heck?  Where'd he go?  One minute he was there, and then we never saw him again."

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

eo000

[spoiler]The reason the director said that part was cut, was because the movie is from Harry's point of view. They may have attacked the student's, but Harry wasn't a part of it. Even when he was chasing them out of the school, he didn't stop and help in the fight.

That being said, they did make a point of showing the Snape scene at the beginning of the movie, so who knows.[/spoiler]

ReBurn

I went to see it. I didn't care for it very much, but I did find the excessive use of the word "snogging" quite funny.

[spoiler]Seemed to me like the movie just didn't end.[/spoiler]
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!