News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Paint color help

Started by Alice, July 11, 2009, 03:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

So my two good friends are buying their first house - closing on Friday.  I've been put in charge of painting their house.  I love doing it and have almost free reign over all the colors and whatnot. 

We've got the entire first floor, basement and most of the second floor figured out.  The female half loves everything I've come up with.  The male half doesn't really care about most of it, loves what I've come up with for his "man room" (a.k.a. the basement) but wasn't thrilled with my idea for the office upstairs.  It's the only other room he cares about.

He's told me he wants it "boring" but not white and he hates brown.  He doesn't want anything "froofy" like the rest of the house.  I'm at a total loss as to what to do.

Infobahn

Alice

Quote from: Infobahn on July 11, 2009, 03:38:01 PM
Wallpaper?

Wallpaper is out of the question.  Mostly because it's such a pain in the ass to take down and they're considering this a starter house.  In about 5-10 years they're going to sell it.

Infobahn

Then I would also say no artistic paint styles (ie Venetian Wax, Sponging).  Tell him to suck it up.

I say that, and the builder painted every wall in my house a sand color.

Alice

Quote from: Infobahn on July 11, 2009, 03:54:26 PM
Then I would also say no artistic paint styles (ie Venetian Wax, Sponging).  Tell him to suck it up.

Yeah, we're only doing two artistic styles - one in the kitchen and one in their bedroom.  I'd love to paint it a sand color, but he hates every shade of brown.

I told him last night I'm going to paint it fuchsia if he doesn't give me something to go off of.

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

Quote from: Alice on July 11, 2009, 04:27:31 PM
Quote from: Infobahn on July 11, 2009, 03:54:26 PM

Yeah, we're only doing two artistic styles - one in the kitchen and one in their bedroom.  I'd love to paint it a sand color, but he hates every shade of brown.

I told him last night I'm going to paint it fuchsia if he doesn't give me something to go off of.

If you want to have some fun, there is a Kilz wall sealer that goes on pink and dries white.

Alice

Quote from: BigDun on July 11, 2009, 04:37:14 PM
Um... How about white?

He doesn't want white.  :-\

I really am about to just leave it the way it is, pale yellow with nursery rhymes painted all over it.

BigDun

Have him do the Lüscher color test .

Alice

Quote from: BigDun on July 11, 2009, 05:37:01 PM
Have him do the Lüscher color test .

Hahaha, I may.

I'm really thinking of doing three of the walls in a very, very pale grey and one wall in a darker grey.

Bennyhana

What was the idea that he rejected?  Brown?

Edit: And what is going in the room.  We can't help you with colors before we know what's going in there.

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on July 12, 2009, 10:04:45 AM
What was the idea that he rejected?  Brown?

Edit: And what is going in the room.  We can't help you with colors before we know what's going in there.

A desk, which I believe is black and grey.  And it's where he gets to put all his posters and shit.

Dry then Catch

can you get a picture of the room?  its really hard to comment without it

Alice

Quote from: DJ Salinger on July 12, 2009, 08:55:19 PM
can you get a picture of the room?  its really hard to comment without it

It's a square room with a door and a window.

grace

"repose gray " sw # 7015-(sherwin williams) is a great gray. "dovetail" 7018 is a darker contrast for a 1 wall in conjunction. it's a great alternative to any sort of white for guys.

i have 3 grays going on in my living room along those lines, with the wicker frames of my sectional couch in a grey. the cushions are in deep purple suede, pic frames & mat frames in many different colors, food for thought.

dazie

Quote from: Alice on July 11, 2009, 03:48:34 PM
Wallpaper?

Wallpaper is out of the question.  Mostly because it's such a pain in the ass to take down and they're considering this a starter house.  In about 5-10 years they're going to sell it.

I don't get this.  So they're going to sell it in 5-10 years.  They still have to LIVE in it for that long.  So maybe wallpaper's out for various reasons, but I know a lot of people who say things like "Oh I love that carpet, but since we're going to sell the house in 5-10 years, we're going to go with this other stuff that has better resale potential."  It's like decorating your house for someone else.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

Quote from: dazie on July 13, 2009, 08:47:24 AM
Quote from: Alice on July 11, 2009, 03:48:34 PM
Wallpaper?

I don't get this.  So they're going to sell it in 5-10 years.  They still have to LIVE in it for that long.  So maybe wallpaper's out for various reasons, but I know a lot of people who say things like "Oh I love that carpet, but since we're going to sell the house in 5-10 years, we're going to go with this other stuff that has better resale potential."  It's like decorating your house for someone else.

Oh they aren't doing it for resale reasons really.  They're doing it because wallpaper is a pain in the ass to remove and they're not going to want to remove it in 5 years.  We're already having to strip 3 rooms of shitty wallpaper as it is.

Jessie

Wallpaper is the devil's work.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on July 13, 2009, 01:38:45 PM

Concur.  I was more commenting on the whole resale thing than the wallpaper thing.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

I like the grey idea.  Or even a denim.

BigDun

Plant bamboo around the edges of the room. It grows really fast.

Dry then Catch

i always assumed it was only old people who liked it

Alice

Quote from: DJ Salinger on July 13, 2009, 07:03:24 PM

It mostly is.  90% of it is pretty outdated.

grace

Quote from: DJ Salinger on July 13, 2009, 07:03:24 PM

wall paper should be banned from use,  put to rest...like old people, i'm becoming one, this is scary. i hate wall paper. can't tell you how many "70's foil effect paper i have seen in bathrooms, it's disgusting and near impossible to remove without major mud repair. in a few remodels, i have just installed drywall or beadboard over top, it was an easy fix.

Infobahn

We are wallpapering a bathroom.  Suck it.