News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

good movies you think are quite bad

Started by swolt, July 10, 2009, 10:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

This thread is a companion to Cathr's thread. By "good" I mean movies most people enjoyed that you just didn't like at all.

Caddyshack. I just didn't get this movie. I know it's comedy from a different time and I like most of the players but this just didn't do it for me.

The Pianist: I didn't get it.

The Thin Red Line: This movie felt like it should have been a mini-series, not a movie. The only character I remotely cared about was Woody Harrelson, and he wasn't in it much. I think Band of Brothers got the feeling and emotion that this movie failed to do.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

VikingJuice

I loved, and still love, Caddyshack.

My entry here:

Any of the LOTR series or the Harry Potter Series.  I just don't get it.  None of it.

sapphirehart

Gran Torino

some say that it is the best Clint Eastwood movie they have ever seen...I couldn't get past all the profanity to enjoy it.

Beefy

Haven't seen it, but I think Gran Torino looks silly.  Eastwood's Iwo Jima flicks deserved more love than that.

My vote: American Beauty.

Alice

Bishamonten

Departed ( one of the worst films I've ever seen )

Infobahn

Alice

Quote from: Bishamonten on July 11, 2009, 10:48:56 AM

At first this made me a little nervous, because I thought this was the favorite movie of the guy I'm crushing on.  Then I realized it wasn't, his favorite movie is The Insider.  I've never seen either but somehow I am constantly confusing the two.

swolt

I liked the Departed.

Blade Runner is my all-time favorite movie. I had just read the book the first time I saw it and while the story is different they go together very well. If you've read the book you understand the little things in the movie that are not explained all that well.

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on July 11, 2009, 03:20:19 PM

At first this made me a little nervous, because I thought this was the favorite movie of the guy I'm crushing on.  Then I realized it wasn't, his favorite movie is The Insider.  I've never seen either but somehow I am constantly confusing the two.

The Insider is awesome.  Possibly the last great film Mann has made.

Bishamonten

Quote from: swolt on July 11, 2009, 03:42:08 PM
I liked the Departed.

Lazy ass acting.
Swearing is not a substitute for actual dialogue content.
Worlds most absurd love triangle.
Laziest Directing Scorsese has ever done.
DiCaprio is about as intimidating as a pile of nickles.
Worst performance of Jack Nicholson's career.

The biggest offense is that the original is so well done that making a remake of it should have been like printing money.  Everyone involved phoned it in. 

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on July 11, 2009, 06:51:19 PM
Quote from: Alice on July 11, 2009, 03:20:19 PM

The Insider is awesome.  Possibly the last great film Mann has made.

Also the best acting Crowe has done in his life

Jessie

I agree about american beauty. Hated it.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

It's a Wonderful Life

I hate that movie so much.

BigDun

Gladiator - I can't see why that movie won any of the Oscars in 2001. It was an OK movie, nothing special. As an actor, Russell Crowe played himself.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

eo000

Quote from: BigDun on July 12, 2009, 03:27:51 AM
Gladiator - I can't see why that movie won any of the Oscars in 2001. It was an OK movie, nothing special. As an actor, Russell Crowe played himself.
were you not entertained?

swolt

Quote from: Bishamonten on July 11, 2009, 09:49:18 PM
Quote from: swolt on July 11, 2009, 03:42:08 PM
I liked the Departed.

Lazy ass acting.
Swearing is not a substitute for actual dialogue content.
Worlds most absurd love triangle.
Laziest Directing Scorsese has ever done.
DiCaprio is about as intimidating as a pile of nickles.
Worst performance of Jack Nicholson's career.

The biggest offense is that the original is so well done that making a remake of it should have been like printing money.  Everyone involved phoned it in. 

That's one thing about hearing a bunch of negative reviews before seeing a movie, your expectations are so low it doesn't take much to impress.
I agree on the acting being phoned in and lots of things not working well together. I was expecting it to suck more than it did so I was entertained.

Bennyhana

I also hated the departed.

But the movie Crash was awful and won three Oscars.  That movie was a steaming pile of shit that proved that if you talk about a sensitive subject, even if you do it terribly, you can win awards.

BigDun

Quote from: eo000 on July 12, 2009, 07:24:09 AM
were you not entertained?

Meh.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

Crash about racism was ehh for me. Crash about sexy car crash victims was woah for me.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

He got it in a sort of payback for him NOT winning in 2000 for The Insider like he deserved.  You're right though, Gladiator was very mediocre.
from Benny

But the movie Crash was awful and won three Oscars.  That movie was a steaming pile of shit that proved that if you talk about a sensitive subject, even if you do it terribly, you can win awards.

I hated Crash because I felt like I was being treated like an idiot who needed to have everything spelled out.  It left no room to think for yourself because it bludgeoned you over the head with its message.  A good storyteller shows you the story but doesn't bash you with retareded narrative.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on July 11, 2009, 11:16:59 PM

what a pretentious pile of crap and I actually like pretentious piles of crap

i haven't seen Crash but I heard enough of the above comments to avoid it

VikingJuice

Quote from: DJ Salinger on July 12, 2009, 08:46:46 PM
Quote from: Jessie on July 11, 2009, 11:16:59 PM

what a pretentious pile of crap and I actually like pretentious piles of crap

i haven't seen Crash but I heard enough of the above comments to avoid it

I liked AB because it was about a guy who was fed up with his life and finally did something about it.  I can relate to it pretty well sometimes.  And the pretension didn't bother me too much this time.  But it usually does get to me in films.

Dry then Catch

here we go

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/

I like British humor. (humour)  
I just didn't feel it was subtle and wry.  It beat you on the face with its humor.

It had some funny parts but overall I was extremely disappointed

VikingJuice

Quote from: DJ Salinger on July 12, 2009, 08:50:24 PM
here we go

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/

I like British humor. (humour)  
I just didn't feel it was subtle and wry.  It beat you on the face with its humor.

It had some funny parts but overall I was extremely disappointed

I loved MPatsftHG!!  Quoting it with friends is even more fun!!

Life of Brian was also very entertaining.