News:

07/15/05 - Beefy nails the 50,000th post!

Main Menu

3D adventure games

Started by Listener, August 02, 2005, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

I've got a blog post stewing on this, but am I the only one who's noticed that nearly every 3D adventure game, with the exception of the newer Tony Hawk and GTA games, are basically the same engine with characters and items overlaid onto them?

My wife bought me Futurama for the PS2 and Wallace & Gromit for the Gamecube.  They're virtually identical.  Run, jump, complete quests in order, collect items, watch cut-scenes, fight bosses with alarmingly-similar modes of attack, defense, and destruction, and finish the game in about six hours.

Just like HP:CoS, HP:PoA, and Taz: Wanted!.

Gamplayerx

meredith

Yeah, I don't remember the name, but there is a company that produces a popular multiplatform game framework that is the reason you see this sort of thing, and why there are a lot of titles that aren't platform-exclusive these days.  Lazy developers + canned solutions + short timelines = profit, right?

ReBurn

I don't get into adventure games all that much because I don't have the proper time to dedicate to them.  But the formula for these games is pretty generic, so they all seem to be just alike.  I like the GTA games just because of the ability to deviate from the formula.

I'm more of a fighting/racing gamer.  Something I can play for ten or fifteen minutes and put down.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

dazie

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 02, 2005, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: dazie on August 02, 2005, 12:21:58 PM
Cuz they're dumb?
:blabla:

You sound like my wife.

does she sound like this:  "ooh!  Yes!  YES!  AAAAA!  Yesyesyes!  Right THERE THERE THERE!"
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

I have the Futurama game.  The only incentive to finish it is that is basically a whole new episode of the show and if you want to know the whole story you have get through everything.  The animated Batman PS2 games are like that, too (all of which I finished).

ReBurn

Quote from: dazie on August 02, 2005, 12:23:38 PM
Quote from: ReBurninator on August 02, 2005, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: dazie on August 02, 2005, 12:21:58 PM
Cuz they're dumb?
:blabla:

You sound like my wife.

does she sound like this:  "ooh!  Yes!  YES!  AAAAA!  Yesyesyes!  Right THERE THERE THERE!"
Only when I scratch her back.

BigDun

The adventure genre needs some new blood. Things haven't changed much since the King's Quest days. Sure the graphics are better but the concept is still the same.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

I like clicky games.  I think you all should play clicky games. 

Jessie

I like minesweeper.  I wonder if I could get that in 3d.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Listener

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 02, 2005, 12:12:40 PM
I don't get into adventure games all that much because I don't have the proper time to dedicate to them.  But the formula for these games is pretty generic, so they all seem to be just alike.  I like the GTA games just because of the ability to deviate from the formula.

I'm more of a fighting/racing gamer.  Something I can play for ten or fifteen minutes and put down.

Being able to deviate from the ordered-quest formula is what makes GTA and Tony Hawk different and better.