News:

40,000th post goes to Gamp!  Happy birthday!

Main Menu

Oh get OVER yourselves

Started by dazie, March 28, 2009, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

So KU lost last night, so the whole effing town is in mourning now.  To be expected- people here are insane, I'm ok with that.

What's bugging the absolute crap out of me though are the comments on the newspaper site all going on and on about how "This is a Kansas squad that is easy to fall in love with and want more of. Coach Self was right when he said that we had a great season and had a chance a to make it special. We have nothing to ashamed of and if we bring everyone back and add the great recruits"  and "I am so glad I live in Lawrence Kansas. Every year we are given an incredibly enjoyable ride watching the Jayhawks. Thanks to coach Self and his staff and especially to those guys out on the floor for making this year another great year! We will be back next year even stronger than we were this year!"

People.  Honestly.  It's basketball.  Yes- they had a good season.  Good enough to get in the tournament.  Yes- they lost.  Sucks to lose.

But all of this overabundant-falling-over-oneself to get the wordiest accolades makes me scratch my head.  I see a parallel between that and the "I support our troops" car stickers and the "delicate snowflake" mentality.

Stay with me here- it makes sense.

When troops came home from Vietnam, they were treated poorly.  Really poorly.  Then, the pendulum swung and now troops returning from combat are greeted as heroes, which makes sense.  Then the "delicate snowflake" mentality kicked in to high gear and EVERYONE is a hero.  Crossing guard?  HERO.  Mailman who delivers in the rain?  HERO.  National Guard member sitting behind a desk in some non-combat situation?  HERO.

If you dare question WHY any of our troops are where they are?  NOT AMERICAN.

So now, if you think "Wow.  Sucks that they lost the game, but that's how it goes, can these kids get back to college now?" you're NOT A JAYHAWK.  So people fawn all over themselves to prove how much they revere the team and the players and appreciate how MUCH the coach has done for the world and blah blah blah.

THEY PLAY BASKETBALL.  They run up and down an empty space indoors and try to put a ball through a hoop. 

Now- people joke about "they're not curing cancer" and I laugh, but I KNOW people who are trying to cure cancer.  I know the guy who developed the MMR vaccine that millions of people receive each year.  I have dinner a few times a month with a guy who is developing medicines to help eradicate breast cancer.  Why aren't these guys getting fawned all over?  Why aren't people writing gushing letters about "I'm so proud to live in Lawrence because of our thriving pharmaceutical chemistry department which makes such great vaccines!"

OK.  I should stop now.  I keep getting interrupted and losing my train of thought.

Anyway.  The Jayhawks lost and the world is about to end.  It's been nice knowing y'all.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

eo000

dazie

Wow.  That made TOTAL sense when I wrote it.  I could have gone on for days.

Gotta love cold meds.  Sorry about all of that.

VikingJuice

In fairness, when in history has stuff originating in or being about Kansas made a whole lot of sense?
;D

dazie