News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

Matza Balls

Started by cnamon, March 12, 2005, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnamon

What the fuck do I do with them?  Jeff bought them and I don't know how to cook them  :-[

nishi

did he buy the kind in a jar?
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Infobahn

Soups, chicken that I remember.  They are not of my tribe...

There is only one person to call...

GAMP!!

cnamon

They are in a box.  I think I have do some type of forming and cooking.  That scares me.

What do they taste like? 

Gamplayerx

It's matzoh ball mix?  You're going to need to both make some sort of broth, either chicken or vegetable, and make the balls.  Matzoh is basically kinda like a big cracker, matzoh balls are made from matzoh meal (basically crunched up matzoh), herbs and spices and egg (I think), that you then cook in the broth.  They're like dumplings, I guess, but way better.

cnamon

Oh.  OK...that looks sounds like a great thing for Jeff to do. 

Thanks Gamp! +1 for your help.

Gamplayerx

You're very welcome.  I love matzoh ball soup, so if you have any leftovers ...  ;)

nishi

they're the jewish equivalent of dumplings.

if you want to make them -

take a chicken or chicken parts, put into a soup pot and boil. i usually add sea salt, ground pepper, and sometimes parsley and some garlic and/or onion. you can also throw in carrots and celery.

you're making yourself a really good, hearty chicken stock.

once you've done that, pull out the chicken and set aside. strain the vegetables and stuff out of the stock.

make your matzo balls according to the package directions. i usually try to make them a little smaller than a golf ball. ping pong ball, maybe. bring the stock back up to a simmer and cook the balls in the soup. i sometimes add more parsley at this point, and adjust the salt and pepper.  i like celery with chicken, so sometimes i'll slice some very very thin slices of celery and drop those in there to cook with the matzo.

gamp - what do you do?

yum. now i want matzo ball soup!!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

What do I do?  I go over to my dad's house.  ;)

My dad makes larger than golf ball sized balls.  He adds carrots, onions and celery to the stock.  And pepper.  You gotta watch the salt - that stuff can get way too salty way to easily.

sapphirehart

Nishi, that description sounded very yummy.

Gamplayerx

Only a month and a half to Passover, I'm already salivating for matzoh ball soup (by the way, we call matzoh balls knaidlach) and matzoh brie (pronounced like fry) which is like french toast, only made with stacks of matzoh - too yummy!.  And latkes (my dad makes the very best latkes and has them for all holidays, not just Chanukah) which are basically hash brown/potato pancakes, oniony, crispy and delicious, topped with sour cream (some freaks use applesauce).  Mmmm, latkes.

Thus ends your Jewish foods lesson for the day.

Great.  Now I'm starving!

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 12, 2005, 12:44:21 PM
Only a month and a half to Passover, I'm already salivating for matzoh ball soup (by the way, we call matzoh balls knaidlach) and matzoh brie (pronounced like fry) which is like french toast, only made with stacks of matzoh - too yummy!.  And latkes (my dad makes the very best latkes and has them for all holidays, not just Chanukah) which are basically hash brown/potato pancakes, oniony, crispy and delicious, topped with sour cream (some freaks use applesauce).  Mmmm, latkes.

Thus ends your Jewish foods lesson for the day.

Great.  Now I'm starving!

mmm.... latkes.   I second that.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

This thread reminds me of when I used to work in a grocery store in a Jewish neighborhood.

I don't think I could ever eat gefilte fish.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Gefilte fish is fairly questionable.

ReBurn

Questionable is a very diplomatic word.  Breaded fish patties floating in brine.  At least I think that was breading.

sapphirehart

Quote from: ReBurninator on March 12, 2005, 01:31:13 PM
Questionable is a very diplomatic word.  Breaded fish patties floating in brine.  At least I think that was breading.

eeewww....just eeeewwwww

Gamplayerx

I watched my step-mother's mom make gefilte fish from scratch once.  Pretty gross.

Infobahn

The have every kind of food on-a-stick at the Minnesota State Fair.

That inclucludes Gefilte Fish on-a-stick.

Mmmmm.

ReBurn

Dang!  I don't see how!  That crap is SOGGY!

Infobahn

Everything gets deep fried whether it needs it or not.

nishi

Quote from: Infobahn on March 12, 2005, 10:30:30 PM
Everything gets deep fried whether it needs it or not.

hAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

does deep frying help gefilte fish? most likely.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

I actually kind of like the gefilte fish that comes in the jar as long as I have enough horseradish.  And somebody scrapes off all the aspic before it hits my plate.

nishi

i bet deepfrying takes care of the aspic.

and reburn - that's what you were seeing, i think. the aspic.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

Update:

There was no matzoh ball cooking last night.  Maybe during the week.  I will keep you posted.

cnamon

Silverback male gorilla Lucas, eats a matza, a cracker-like bread eaten during the Jewish festival of Passover, at the Ramat Gan Safari near Tel Aviv, Israel, Tuesday April 19, 2005, as the Safari staff prepare of its animals for the week-long holiday. Jews are not allowed to eat or touch leavened foodstuffs during the Passover holiay, which commemorates the exodus of the ancient Hebrews from Egypt. (AP Photo/Ariel Schalit)

No.  I have still not made my soup.

Gamplayerx

This weekend is Passover and we're going to my dad's house and we're going to eat lots and lots and lots of yummy matzoh ball soup and latkes and matzoh brie.  MMMMMMM!!! 

Jessie

Somehow I missed this thread originally.

I don't think I've ever had any Jewish food, but all of that sounds pretty good except that fish stuff.  I don't really like dumplings much, so I don't know about that part either.  Nishi's recipe sounded good though.  Maybe I'm just hungry.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Matzoh balls are NOT dumplings.  It's really really really good.  There is absolutely nothing not to like about it.

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 20, 2005, 10:35:15 AM
Matzoh balls are NOT dumplings.  It's really really really good.  There is absolutely nothing not to like about it.

They have no bacon.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

NT, your avatar cracked me up.

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 20, 2005, 10:44:23 AM
NT, your avatar cracked me up.

hahahahhahahhahahahahaa

hahahahha

hahahah

yeah, I agree.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Youphoric

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 12, 2005, 11:57:17 AMThey're like dumplings, I guess, but way better.

Matzoh balls are NOT dumplings. It's really really really good. There is absolutely nothing not to like about it.

I'm confused.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Youphoric on April 20, 2005, 10:53:29 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 12, 2005, 11:57:17 AMThey're like dumplings, I guess, but way better.

Matzoh balls are NOT dumplings. It's really really really good. There is absolutely nothing not to like about it.

I'm confused.

They're like dumplings, I guess, but NOT dumplings.  Dumplings was the closest gentile food I could come up with.

Youphoric

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 20, 2005, 10:59:38 AM
Quote from: Youphoric on April 20, 2005, 10:53:29 AM

I'm confused.
They're like dumplings, I guess, but NOT dumplings.  Dumplings was the closest gentile food I could come up with.
Okie dokie

Gamplayerx

Passover update:  We had wonderful matzoh ball soup and fantastic matzoh brie for breakfast this morning.  But I didn't whine enough to get latkes.  I need to work on the whining.

nishi

no kidding, you need to work on the whining. i'd throw myself into traffic for latkes!!!

i hope you had a good passover, gamp. next year in jerusalem!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

We had a wonderful time.  Lots of people, lots of food, lots of yicky wine (apparantly, the wine was good - it wasn't Manischewitz - I just don't like wine), lots of singing and lots of laughter.

But no latkes. 

nallen

I'm surprised that you aren't really good at the whining considering how much of an example your mother as made for you.   

Does the Grumpus enjoy the Matza ball soup?  I used to get it at Jerry's Famous Deli in Costa Mesa.  good stuff.
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

eo000

were there any latka's?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: nallen on April 24, 2005, 01:12:24 PM
I'm surprised that you aren't really good at the whining considering how much of an example your mother as made for you.   

Does the Grumpus enjoy the Matza ball soup?  I used to get it at Jerry's Famous Deli in Costa Mesa.  good stuff.

Hells yeah, he enjoys it!  Matzoh ball soup is wonderful. 

nallen

We Atheists need to come up with fun holidays to better compete.  Any suggestions?

liquor seems to work well, so we shoulld include that, oh I know!

Miller Lite and Matza ball soup!  I bet we can win Gamp over with that one, especially if we throw some clicky games in to the mix.

Gamplayerx

I do love a good clicky game. 

p.s.  This ain't one of them. 

nallen

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 24, 2005, 01:32:24 PM
I do love a good clicky game. 

p.s.  This ain't one of them. 

Right you are, that game SUCKS, what next am I to taste that milk thats been in the fridget too long?

Gamplayerx

I clearly said it sucked.  I bet, despite your prostestations, you TOTALLY click on monkeyballs.

DownSouth

Quote from: nallen on April 24, 2005, 01:27:15 PM
We Atheists need to come up with fun holidays to better compete.  Any suggestions?

liquor seems to work well, so we shoulld include that, oh I know!

Miller Lite and Matza ball soup!  I bet we can win Gamp over with that one, especially if we throw some clicky games in to the mix.
I think it should involve pizza.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!