News:

ever clean urine and wet dreams out of a t-rex's mouth

Main Menu

"This movie is so.... sudden."

Started by dazie, January 15, 2009, 08:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Kate's assessment of Branagh's Hamlet.

I have no idea what she meant by that, but she's watching it, entranced, so I'm guessing it's a good thing.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

That film was the exact moment when I gave up on Branagh.  Even four hours couldn't hold his ego.  Interminable.

Believe it or not, I prefer Gibson's version.

nishi

Quote from: Beefy on January 15, 2009, 08:36:06 PM
That film was the exact moment when I gave up on Branagh.  Even four hours couldn't hold his ego.  Interminable.

dude. he rewrote shakespeare. that version is right out. well - right after the ethan hawke version.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

Quote from: nishi on January 15, 2009, 08:52:16 PM
Quote from: Beefy on January 15, 2009, 08:36:06 PM

dude. he rewrote shakespeare. that version is right out. well - right after the ethan hawke version.

I prefer a rewrite with good intentions over bombastic self-aggrandization.

nishi

he turned hamlet into the story of an epic hero.

just like every other movie he has ever made. mad max. jesus. hamlet. all epic heroes.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on January 15, 2009, 08:18:50 PM
Kate's assessment of Branagh's Hamlet.

I have no idea what she meant by that, but she's watching it, entranced, so I'm guessing it's a good thing.

I got off the "Branag" (as Beef and I used to call him) back then too.  3 F-ing hours before the intermission?  Seriously?  And then I have to watch ANOTHER hour?  And I recall the theater being small too, made me feel claustrophobic sitting there for so F-ing long.

To me, that movie was anything BUT sudden.

Alice

Has anyone seen the Ethan Hawke version?

nishi

Quote from: Alice on January 16, 2009, 01:26:20 AM

yes. it's terrifying.

and to be clear, i don't love the branaugh version and he's a pompous ass. although it's rare to find an actor that feels that they're ready to play hamlet that isn't a pompous ass. and it's long because it's the only full version of the play that's on film.

jack lemmon as one of the guards in the opening scene of that film was .... a very poorly considered idea.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dazie

Quote from: nishi on January 16, 2009, 08:20:12 AM
jack lemmon as one of the guards in the opening scene of that film was .... a very poorly considered idea.

It does seem like the Hollywood equivalent of a kegger.  "Hay guyz!  I'm makin' a mooovey!  Wanna play?"
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Dry then Catch

i liked how he wore sunglasses at night and a beanie while moping in his limo.

i've seen nigh every version of Hamlet and the best one is when mel gibson makes out with his mom

VikingJuice

Quote from: nishi on January 16, 2009, 08:20:12 AM

yes. it's terrifying.

and to be clear, i don't love the branaugh version and he's a pompous ass. although it's rare to find an actor that feels that they're ready to play hamlet that isn't a pompous ass. and it's long because it's the only full version of the play that's on film.

But only Branaugh could make four hours feel like 20!  Well, maybe if Charles Dickens directed.

nishi

Quote from: VikingJuice on January 16, 2009, 06:30:54 PM
Well, maybe if Charles Dickens directed.

i love dickens, and that is still hilarious.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

VikingJuice

Quote from: nishi on January 16, 2009, 11:44:43 PM

I like his stories, I hate his story telling.  His logic is circular and he ends up repeating certain points or themes over and over and over.  It's like talking with my father.  I used to joke that he and Dickens were long lost relatives.

nishi

Quote from: VikingJuice on January 17, 2009, 12:51:18 PM

I like his stories, I hate his story telling.  His logic is circular and he ends up repeating certain points or themes over and over and over.  It's like talking with my father.  I used to joke that he and Dickens were long lost relatives.

query: is everyone's dad related to charles dickens? because that would make a lot of sense.

are there any dads that do not repeat the same themes over and over? now that you've brought it up, i'm suspecting there must be some kind of force of nature at work there. perhaps the dads on here should chime in. once your offspring was old enough to listen, did you start channeling the energy, if not the specifics, of charles dickens?
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

VikingJuice

Quote from: nishi on January 17, 2009, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on January 17, 2009, 12:51:18 PM

query: is everyone's dad related to charles dickens? because that would make a lot of sense.

are there any dads that do not repeat the same themes over and over? now that you've brought it up, i'm suspecting there must be some kind of force of nature at work there. perhaps the dads on here should chime in. once your offspring was old enough to listen, did you start channeling the energy, if not the specifics, of charles dickens?

It wasn't just that he repeated over time, it was that he repeated within the same conversation, over and over and over.