News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

Harry Potter

Started by OBB, June 28, 2005, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnamon

I am not a fan either...doesn't appeal to me.  I am glad I am not alone.

Jessie

I don't like it because it turns our children into devil worshipers.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 10:12:40 AM
Next thing you know, they'll be thinking that families come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religions.  *shudder*

Alice

Can a Harry Potter fan answer this for me...

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me.  

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 28, 2005, 10:15:59 AM
Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 10:12:40 AM
Next thing you know, they'll be thinking that families come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religions.  *shudder*
Before you know it, blacks will own land and women will want to vote.  What a world, what a world.

BigDun

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:16:37 AM

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me.  

There is a diference between attacking a book and saying you don't appreciate it. My mother in law can't get into the series for reasons she is quite able to articulate. But she doesn't call the books stupid.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me. 

I don't know.  I'm not that obsessed. 

I think it really has to do with the fact that for the first time in a LONG time there is something that kids and adults can agree upon- something not crap that kids can read and get excited about, and something adults get a kick out of too.  I read the book YESTERDAY.  Ursus read it LAST NIGHT.  (he's just now finishing it up)  We'll give it to Tim next.

It's quality material that shows kids they can do things, not just magic things- it really does focus on intelligence and friendship.  And it does it in a more realistic way than those stupid Saturday morning cartoons.  (Oh yeah- well I play my blue eyed white dragon card to wipe out your purple nosed hornblatt)  The friends have to stick together and depend on each other to make it through the trials they face.

Have you read any of it?  They really do keep getting better as they get longer.  You could probably whip through the first one in an evening.  I'd say avoid the movies though.  The first two are pretty much dreck, the third one is the best of the bunch so far.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dc

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me. 

All I can say is that I don't get upset when somebody says they hate it.  My eyes glaze over and I stop listening, because I assume you're another one of the fundamentalists walking up to my counter with their soap box.  I've lost count of them at this point. 

I don't care why someone objects to a certain book, I just object to them making it an issue with me just because I sell books.

Beefy

Quote from: BigDun on July 28, 2005, 10:25:19 AM
There is a diference between attacking a book and saying you don't appreciate it. My mother in law can't get into the series for reasons she is quite able to articulate. But she doesn't call the books stupid.

Well said.

Saying you don't care for it is fine.  But saying you hate it or calling it stupid is a bit more.  If the books are so horrible, what must that say about the legions that enjoy them.  I think the harsh reactions people get are because of the harsh attacks that get dished out.

I try and save my hatred for people like Tom DeLay, not fictional books that encourage kids to read.

Alice

I can articulate the hell out of why I don't like the books.  But if someone said that they thought Imajica was stupid, or any other books that I adore - I would never get pissed off about it.  And people genuinely get upset when I tell them the reasons why I don't care for them.  

And yes, I have read 2 of them.  The first one out of curiosity.  The second one because I thought the first one was horrid and my friend told me the second one was much better... so she bought me a copy.  

Again, I think it's great you guys like it.  I have no problems with it - and I can understand why.  They just aren't for me.  I am not confused as to why people like them, but I am confused as to why they are such a sensitive topic for people 21+.

dc

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:32:29 AM

I can articulate the hell out of why I don't like the books.  But if someone said that they thought Imajica was stupid, or any other books that I adore - I would never get pissed off about it.  And people genuinely get upset when I tell them the reasons why I don't care for them. 

And yes, I have read 2 of them.  The first one out of curiosity.  The second one because I thought the first one was horrid and my friend told me the second one was much better... so she bought me a copy. 

Again, I think it's great you guys like it.  I have no problems with it - and I can understand why.  They just aren't for me.  I am not confused as to why people like them, but I am confused as to why they are such a sensitive topic for people 21+.

Well, if we're discussing the 21+ crowd, that one I know a little about from experiences with customers.  It's considered a children's book, and people get defensive because they think you're about to accuse them of reading a "kid's book."

An excellent illustration of this is that the British publisher had to release a children's cover and an adult cover because people were embarrassed to be seen reading it in public.

eo000

Quote from: dc on July 28, 2005, 10:37:24 AM

I can articulate the hell out of why I don't like the books.  But if someone said that they thought Imajica was stupid, or any other books that I adore - I would never get pissed off about it.  And people genuinely get upset when I tell them the reasons why I don't care for them. 

And yes, I have read 2 of them.  The first one out of curiosity.  The second one because I thought the first one was horrid and my friend told me the second one was much better... so she bought me a copy. 

Again, I think it's great you guys like it.  I have no problems with it - and I can understand why.  They just aren't for me.  I am not confused as to why people like them, but I am confused as to why they are such a sensitive topic for people 21+.

Well, if we're discussing the 21+ crowd, that one I know a little about from experiences with customers.  It's considered a children's book, and people get defensive because they think you're about to accuse them of reading a "kid's book."

An excellent illustration of this is that the British publisher had to release a children's cover and an adult cover because people were embarrassed to be seen reading it in public.

the adult cover.

[attachment deleted by admin]

dazie

I'm going to hazard a guess that most adults wouldn't be caught dead reading a kids' book, so they have to reinforce their interest in this set.  Sometimes vehemently.

dc

Actually, in all seriousness, they're still issuing multiple covers....

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/default.asp?sec=2

Alice

Ahhh, okay - that makes more sense to me.  I mean, it is a kid's book - but that's not why I don't care for it.  For fuck's sake I read Alice In Wonderland almost every month... and Thief of Always.  Both are kids books.  So it never occurred to me that would be the reason - but that makes a lot of sense.

dazie

Those are COOL.  I havent' seen any of those.

Alice

P.S. - this is my friend Shroomie.

Beefy

Of course, you can argue over what a 'kid's book' is.  I think that's subjective.

dc

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:44:20 AM

Ahhh, okay - that makes more sense to me.  I mean, it is a kid's book - but that's not why I don't care for it.  For fuck's sake I read Alice In Wonderland almost every month... and Thief of Always.  Both are kids books.  So it never occurred to me that would be the reason - but that makes a lot of sense.

I read kid's books all the time, and I don't even try to justify it by saying that it's my job.  There are some good ones out there.  But tell an adult customer that they're looking for a children's book or a teen customer that it's a "young readers" book, and you can see them flush.  That's why we had to rename the teen section to "Teens."

dazie

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:46:36 AM

Wow.  See- I'll wear "house colors" to the movies, I'll dress up my kids at Halloween, but it would take a hellova costume party invite to make me dress up like a character from the book.

I :heart: costume parties actually.  But it would have to be for a party- not for anything else.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 10:49:03 AM

Wow.  See- I'll wear "house colors" to the movies, I'll dress up my kids at Halloween, but it would take a hellova costume party invite to make me dress up like a character from the book.

I :heart: costume parties actually.  But it would have to be for a party- not for anything else.

Costume parties are fun.  We need to have one.

eo000

Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 01:59:00 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 10:49:03 AM

Costume parties are fun.  We need to have one.
grown ups in costumes? how fucking stupid.  ;)

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Beefy on July 28, 2005, 10:47:07 AM
Of course, you can argue over what a 'kid's book' is.  I think that's subjective.

"Every book is a kids book if they can read."

-Mitch Hedberg

dazie

We should have a Junto Halloween party!

meredith

Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 06:05:57 PM
We should have a Junto Halloween party!

ooh! i'll ask nikki if I can keep her dress!

bwahahahahaha